Stable volume sales with faster growth in non-beer categories
Philippine alcoholic beverages slowed down but recorded stable growth in 2012. The maturation of the beer category, which is the biggest category in the Philippines, contributed to the slower rate. Domestic companies continued to facilitate growth in all alcoholic drinks categories. These local manufacturers continued creating heavily promoted events to increase consumption, such as beer festivals and summer parties, driving volume sales and strengthening brand loyalty.
High growth shown by non-beer categories
A shift toward other categories than beer was seen in 2012, as domestic brands in RTDs/high-strength premixes, spirits, and wine facilitated the growth of the market. These categories showed much higher growth than the mature beer category. Asia Brewery’s Tanduay Ice led the RTD/high-strength premixes category, Bel Mondo Italia’s Novellino led wine, and Alliance Global Group’s Emperador brandy led spirits.
San Miguel Brewery continues to lead the market
San Miguel Brewery continued leading the alcoholic drink market in 2012 because of its dominance in beer. Its competitors are looking to other categories for growth, with heavy marketing in RTDs that serve as alternatives to beer. San Miguel has noticed, and expanded its portfolio through its sister company Ginebra San Miguel into the RTD category with its successful Antonov Flavoured Vodka mix. Wine category leader, Bel Mondo Italia and brandy leader Alliance Global, are investing further in their production capacity to fuel their growth.
Other grocery retailers is biggest channel; specialist stores are fastest growing
Other grocery retailers, commonly known as “sari-sari stores” – are the dominant distribution channel for alcoholic drinks due to their ubiquity around the country. Even in the absence of big supermarkets, sari-sari stores will be present, and this makes them the most accessible. However, some categories have different leading channels, such as wine and RTDs/high-strength premixes being predominantly available in supermarkets due to their more sophisticated image. Food/drink/tobacco specialist stores, however, is the fastest growing channel due to increased demand for imported and premium products and sophistication of drinking culture.
Growth in volume and value sales is projected to slow over the forecast period
Alcoholic drinks is expected to keep on growing, but at a slower rate compared to the review period because of two main factors: The new Sin Tax legislation, and market maturity (particularly of beer). The Sin Tax law will affect the prices of all alcoholic drinks, and the slowing growth of the biggest but most mature category, beer, will affect the performance of the entire market.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Alcoholic Drinks Market Research Report
Sample Alcoholic Drinks Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Alcoholic Drinks industry in Philippines with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Alcoholic Drinks industry in Philippines, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Philippines for free:
The Alcoholic Drinks in Philippines market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Alcoholic Drinks in Philippines?
- What are the major brands in Philippines?
- Have there been any alcoholic drinks legislative changes over the past 12 months?
- How is the alcoholic drinks industry affected by the recession?
- What is consumed more; beer, wine or spirits?
- What have been the key trends seen in new product developments?
- Do alcoholic drinks consumers want value for money or added value?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.