- The beer category managed to post its first signs of recovery during 2012. Despite the fact that beer is the most affordable type of alcoholic drink in Bulgaria, the segment suffered from the economic slowdown and posted negative growth in 2009 and 2010 and flat development in 2011. The positive development in 2012 was led by the new product development of the branches of the three multinational companies Zagorka AD, Kamenitza AD and Carlsberg Bulgaria AD and the sporting events of summer 2012.
- Zagorka AD, Kamenitza AD and Carlsberg Bulgaria AD are the three largest beer producing companies. Their positions as number one, two and three were stable and the local subsidiaries of the multinational companies managed to grow on account of weaker local rivals Boliarka VT AD, Bulbrew OOD and LomskoPivo AD. Their share increase was dictated by the distribution strength, portfolio breadth in all three price segments and the launch of the highly fashionable fruit-flavoured beers. The highest growth was experienced by Kamenitza AD – up by 2% points in 2012, which came from its appeal to the male beer drinkers (EURO 2012 and the Olympics certainly helped) and also the excellent value for the 2.0-litre packs.
- Beer is expected to accelerate its growth during forecast, after it experienced a dramatic slowdown during the review period, caused by the economic downturn. Beer is seen as the best performing of all three key segments of beer, wine and spirits. The good performance of beer is expected to come on account of wine and spirits as the beer products are most favourably priced. In addition, the investment in advertising and new product development will continue to fuel interest in the category, which will appeal to a broad consumer base (e.g. the youngest consumers, men and women). In marketing terms, the segment has strong brands and is not hindered by the advertising restrictions of spirits, which is an additional competitive advantage in attracting new consumers and encouraging existing consumers to purchase more. Moreover, the differentiation of beers with dark, fruit-flavoured variants and brands covering every possible segment will be in favour to its future performance.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Bulgaria with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Bulgaria, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Bulgaria market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Bulgaria?
- What are the major brands in Bulgaria?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Bulgaria - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2012
- Table 1 Number of Breweries 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2007-2012
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 9 Sales of Beer by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 10 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2009-2012
- Table 13 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 15 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2006-2011
- Table 17 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2006-2011
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Beer in Bulgaria - Company Profiles
Boliarka VT AD in Alcoholic Drinks (Bulgaria)
- Summary 2 Bolyarka VT AD: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Bolyarka VT AD: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Boliarka VT AD: Competitive Position 2012
Alcoholic Drinks in Bulgaria - Industry Context
Alcoholic drinks sales recover following the crisis
The launch of low alcohol fruit flavoured beers impacts the industry structure
The market is dominated by three multinational companies
The modern retailing formats develop on account of the independent small grocers
Volume growth to improve noticeably during the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Consumers’ propensity to save impacts alcoholic drinks negatively
The alcoholic drinks market to become increasingly segmented
Significance of the non-retail sector increases in the shaky economic conditions
Key new product launches bring more flavours to the alcoholic drinks market
- Summary 5 Key New Product Developments 2011-2012
Specialist retailers - mitigated success
- Summary 6 Leading Specialist Retailers 2012
Market merger and acquisition activity
- Summary 7 Merger and Acquisition Activity 2011-2012
- Table 22 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2007-2012
TAXATION AND DUTY BGNIES
- Table 23 Taxation and Duty BGNies on Alcoholic Drinks 2012
- Table 24 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Mark-ups by Sector 2012
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand 2012 incl Wholesaler
- Table 26 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand 2012 excl Wholesaler
- Table 27 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand 2012 incl Wholesaler
- Table 28 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand 2012 excl Wholesaler
- Table 29 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand 2012 incl Wholesaler
- Table 30 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand 2012 excl Wholesaler
- Table 31 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2007-2012
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2007-2012
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2007-2012
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 35 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 36 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Volume 2012
- Table 37 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: Value 2012
- Table 38 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Volume 2012
- Table 39 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by On-trade vs Off-trade: % Value 2012
- Table 40 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2008-2012
- Table 41 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2007-2012
- Table 42 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format by Category: % Off-trade Volume 2012
- Table 43 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2012-2017
- Table 44 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2012-2017
- Table 45 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 46 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2012-2017
Published data comparisons
- Summary 8 Research Sources