- In 2014, beer in Ukraine posted a decline in total volume terms of 10%. The volume decline was a direct result of changing consumer habits as Ukrainians started to trade down with the increased cost of living. The decline in disposable income forced consumers to switch to cheaper products and decrease consumption of no-essential goods. At the same time, excise tax hikes in mid-2014 together with inflation and the increased cost of raw materials affected volume sales and the industry as a whole. In May 2014, beer excise tax jumped by 42.5% to the level of UAH1.24 per litre. National currency devaluation caused an increase of prices for imported beer and imported raw materials for beer production. Eventually, beer’s average unit prices in 2014 were 25% higher than in 2013.
- Sun InBev remained the leader of Ukrainian beer in 2014 with a 28% volume share. The company had a wide portfolio of products, which allowed it to retain its leadership in beer. Its most well-known and popular brand remained the core Chernigivske brand, although it also produced more than 30 further beer brands, including Zhyguleskoye, Rogan, Corona, Staropramen and others.
- The additional sales tax of alcoholic drinks of 1 January 2015 and further national currency devaluation will push prices up for beer. This will make imported beer less competitive as compared to cheaper domestic premium lager. Therefore, domestic premium lager brand will benefit and companies are likely to strengthen their positions in the premium segment. On the other side, the drastically decreased real income of Ukrainians will force customers to economise on non-essential items. As a result, the most prominent will be economy lager. At the same time, the adopted law which had made beer an alcoholic product may create additional obstacles for the industry. For example, additional licences will be needed for producers and PET packaging could not be used. Furthermore, by making beer an alcoholic product, retailers such as kiosks, which sold only one type of alcoholic drink (beer) and didn’t require licences, will need an additional license to sell it. Therefore, the growth of beer will remain limited, despite the fact that it is one of the most favourite grocery products of Ukrainian men. As a result, beer is expected to be flat over the forecast period, with a CAGR decline of 1% in volume terms and a value CAGR of 1% at constant 2014 prices. The trend towards at-home consumption of alcoholic drinks and cocktails is likely to continue over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Beer Market Research Report
Sample Beer Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Beer industry in Ukraine with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Beer industry in Ukraine, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Beer in Ukraine market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market volume shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Beer in Ukraine?
- What are the major brands in Ukraine?
- How has premium lager performed in the wake of the global recession, has it lost out to economy lager as consumers traded down?
- What are the most popular flavours within non-alcoholic beer?
- What are the market opportunities for ‘healthier’ beers like low calorie and/or low abv beers?
- Has the implementation of a stricter drink driving law benefited sales of low/non-alcohol beer?
- Has the recession benefited domestic lager over imported lager?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Alcoholic Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Beer in Ukraine - Category Analysis
PRODUCTION, IMPORTS AND EXPORTS
Lager price band methodology
- Summary 1 Lager by Price Band 2014
- Table 1 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Beer by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 9 GBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 NBO Company Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Beer: % Total Volume 2011-2014
- Table 12 Production, Imports and Exports of Beer: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 13 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 14 Imports of Beer by Country of Origin: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 15 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Volume 2008-2013
- Table 16 Exports of Beer by Country of Destination: Total Value 2008-2013
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Beer by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
Beer in Ukraine - Company Profiles
Efes-Ukraine Pyvovarnya DP in Alcoholic Drinks (Ukraine)
- Summary 2 Efes-Ukraine Pyvovarnya DP: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Efes-Ukraine Pyvovarnya DP: Competitive Position 2014
Alcoholic Drinks in Ukraine - Industry Context
Consumption of legal alcohol is falling in Ukraine
A very difficult year for alcoholic drinks and the country in general
Multinationals lead sales in 2014
Modern retail chains retain the majority of sales in 2014
Alcoholic drinks is expected to maintain stable decline during the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Weak economic performance leads to contraction of alcoholic drinks
Consumption of legal alcohol is falling in Ukraine
Key new product launches
- Summary 4 Key New Product Developments 2014-2015
- Summary 5 Number of On-trade Establishments by Type 2009-2014
TAXATION AND DUTY LEVIES
- Table 21 Taxation and Duty Levies on Alcoholic Drinks 2014
- Table 22 Typical Wholesaler and Retailer Off-trade Mark-ups by Selected Categories 2014
- Table 23 Selling Margin of a Typical Beer Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 24 Selling Margin of a Typical Wine Brand in Retail Channel Which Uses Wholesalers 2014
- Table 25 Selling Margin of a Typical Spirits Brand in Retail Channel Which Does Not Use Wholesalers 2014
- Table 26 Retail Consumer Expenditure on Alcoholic Drinks 2009-2014
- Table 27 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2009-2014
- Table 28 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2009-2014
- Table 29 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 30 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 31 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Volume 2014
- Table 32 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: Value 2014
- Table 33 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Volume 2014
- Table 34 Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category by Off-trade vs On-trade: % Value 2014
- Table 35 GBO Company Shares of Alcoholic Drinks: % Total Volume 2010-2014
- Table 36 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format: % Off-trade Value 2009-2014
- Table 37 Distribution of Alcoholic Drinks by Format and Category: % Off-trade Volume 2014
- Table 38 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Volume 2014-2019
- Table 39 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: Total Value 2014-2019
- Table 40 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 41 Forecast Sales of Alcoholic Drinks by Category: % Total Value Growth 2014-2019
Published data comparisons
- Summary 6 Research Sources