- Led by millennials, time-pressed consumers continue to turn away from sit-down breakfast options in favour of more portable snacks they can eat while on the go. Sometimes called the “snackification” of US food, several smaller but rapidly-growing categories are emerging to challenge breakfast cereals for share of the breakfast meal occasion. Products like snack bars, Greek yoghurt and even biscuits (ie Belvita) offer a high-protein, energising breakfast that can be consumed on the go, and saw strong growth over the review period. At the same time, foodservice outlets continue to expand their breakfast offerings, with new players like Taco Bell offering breakfast for the first time in 2014. Against this fierce competition, breakfast cereals struggled to remain relevant in 2015, with retail volume sales falling by 2%. This continued an ongoing trend, with volume sales falling by 10% over the review period as a whole.
- At GBO level, Kellogg Co remained the leading player in breakfast cereals in 2015 with a 28% value share. Despite this leading position, the company has lost share every year since 2012. The company’s Kashi Co subsidiary continues to drag down Kellogg’s overall performance, with its value share falling sharply once again in 2015 to 2%, down from 4% in 2012. A natural brand traditionally popular with health-conscious shoppers, Kashi has recently struggled with an identity crisis of sorts. In March 2013, Kellogg moved Kashi’s offices from California to its headquarters in Michigan, only to move them back again in August 2014. While some of its offerings are organic, many of its cereals are now hard to distinguish from other major brands on retail shelves. Kashi also faces strong competition from an influx of new players in natural breakfast cereals, particularly within the muesli category.
- Retail volume sales of breakfast cereals are expected to fall by 4% over 2015-2020, while value sales are set to decline by 9% at constant 2015 prices to US$9.8 billion. The numerous threats facing breakfast cereals do not show any signs of subsiding and the continued strong growth of categories like snack bars is attracting new manufacturers and heavy investment in innovation. At the same time, millennials have been at the forefront of this shift away from breakfast cereals towards more portable snacks, and the earning power of this group is forecast to rise significantly in the coming years. These factors do not leave breakfast cereals with a positive outlook.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Breakfast cereals Market Research Report
Sample Breakfast cereals Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Breakfast cereals industry in USA with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Breakfast cereals industry in USA, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Breakfast cereals in USA market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Breakfast cereals in USA?
- What are the major brands in USA?
- How will increasingly volatile wheat commodity prices impact retail prices and sales performance?
- What are the market opportunities for high fibre products?
- Given mounting concerns over childhood obesity, what does the future hold for children’s breakfast cereal?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Breakfast Cereals in the US - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Breakfast Cereals: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Breakfast Cereals: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 7 Distribution of Breakfast Cereals by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Breakfast Cereals by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Breakfast Cereals in the US - Company Profiles
General Mills Inc in Packaged Food (USA)
- Summary 1 General Mills Inc: Key Facts
- Summary 2 General Mills Inc: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 General Mills Inc: Competitive Position 2015
Kroger Co in Packaged Food (USA)
- Summary 4 Kroger Co: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Kroger Co: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 Kroger Co: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 7 Kroger Co: Competitive Position 2014
Packaged Food in the US - Industry Context
The “snackification” of packaged food continues
“Clean label” commitments proliferate
“Big food” loses share to smaller brands
Convenience wins the day
The corporate landscape is set to change in the coming years
Key Trends and Developments
The “snackification” of packaged food continues in the US
Mounting distrust of “big food” amongst consumers
“Clean label” makes major inroads
Mergers and acquisitions pepper the landscape in 2015
Convenience-focused channels win
Foodservice: Key Trends and Developments
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 12 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 14 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 16 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 23 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 24 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources