- Business car rental remained the key driver of overall growth in car rental during 2012. The ever rising cost of living in South Africa continued to compromise demand for leisure car rental during 2012, and this lack of dynamism was one of the main reasons for business car rental accounting for more than half of total car rental retail value sales in 2012. Business car rental comprised 52% of total car rental retail value sales in South Africa in 2012, with leisure car rental accounting for 31%. Demand for business car rental is not particularly seasonal and therefore business car rental is considered to be more important among the leading players in the category. Demand for leisure car rental, meanwhile, tends to peak during summer and the festive season when visitors from outside South Africa often visit for leisure holidays.
- Barloworld Ltd, the operator of the Avis car rental system in South Africa, maintained its leading position in car rental during 2012 with a 31% value share. The company was able to benefit from the very good reputation of Avis throughout the world, which allowed Barloworld to remain the leading car rental company among South Africa’s inbound tourists as well as among those local people who can afford their rental rates. Barloworld’s effective management of its vehicle fleet has allowed the Avis brand to remain competitive in an environment in which consumers are constantly seeking cheaper rental rates while at the same time seek to drive reliable vehicles.
- Car rental in South Africa is expected to record fairly slow but stable over the forecast period, rising in constant value at a CAGR of 1%. This growth is likely to be driven by rising rental rates in line with inflation and steeper operational costs for car rental companies. Persistent marketing by the country’s leading car rental companies is also expected to result in an increase being recorded in the number of transactions across the entire category during the forecast period. The marketing of car rental is likely to come in the form of establishing more partnerships with travel retailers as well as airlines in South Africa and around the world.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Car Rental Market Research Report
Sample Car Rental Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Car Rental industry in South Africa with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Car Rental industry in South Africa, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Car Rental in South Africa market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Car Rental in South Africa?
- What are the major brands in South Africa?
- Is there a shift from airport car rental to non-airport?
- Is leisure car rental outpacing business car rental?
- Is insurance replacement recession-resistant?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Travel And Tourism market research database.
Table of Contents
Car Rental in South Africa - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Car Rental Sales by Category and Location: Value 2007-2012
- Table 2 Car Rental Sales by Channel: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Structure of Car Rental Market 2007-2012
- Table 4 Car Rental National Brand Owner Market Shares 2008-2012
- Table 5 Car Rental Brands by Key Performance Indicators 2012
- Table 6 Forecast Car Rental Sales by Category and Location: Value 2012-2017
- Table 7 Forecast Car Rental Sales by Channel: Value 2012-2017
Travel and Tourism in South Africa - Industry Context
Tourist arrivals in South Africa continue to grow
Hotel occupancy levels improve during the review period
More information for tourists threatens travel retail sales
Opportunities open up for financially fit domestic airlines
Middle class growth expected to boost tourism revenue growth
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
National tourism strategy
Airport taxes dilemma for the government
Online travel and tourism booking takes off
Low cost flight industry proves to be much tougher in South Africa
Foreign Direct Investment likely to remain key in influencing tourism
African countries remain the key sources of growth in inbound arrivals
- Summary 1 South Africa: SWOT
- Table 8 Leave Entitlement: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 9 Holiday Takers by Age: % Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 10 Seasonality of Trips 2007-2012
BALANCE OF PAYMENTS
- Table 11 Balance of Tourism Payments: Value 2007-2012
- Summary 2 Research Sources