- Cheese is consumed by most Latvians on a daily basis, hence the performance of this category is closely linked to various socioeconomic factors, particularly population trends. Spreadable processed cheese and hard cheese are traditionally the two most popular cheese types in Latvia. This preference has more due to the fact that they were usually the only types available during Soviet times than it does with any historic local cheese making traditions. Nonetheless, traditional preferences are gradually changing as purchasing power improves and Latvians become more exposed to different types of cheese from around the world. In 2015, this was evident in the growing popularity of world famous varieties like brie, blue cheese, parmesan, camembert, mozzarella etc. It should be noted that due to their higher prices, demand for these more exotic and sophisticated types of cheese products is still concentrated among a relatively small base of consumers. However, their success is encouraging local cheese producers to launch more competitively priced products with similar characteristics.
- Siera Nams maintained its leading position in cheese in 2015 with an overall value share of 30%. The company has a broad portfolio that covers several cheese categories and, in addition to its own Siera Nams branded products, includes the world famous Philadelphia brand, which it distributes for Mondelez International Inc in Latvia. Rigas Piensaimnieks SIA and Rigas Piena Kombinats AS ranked second and third respectively, with both companies claiming overall value shares of around 18%. Other prominent competitors in cheese in 2015 included Cesvaines Piens AS, Talsu Piensaimnieks AS and Rimi Latvia SIA.
- Cheese looks set to post modest growth in retail volume sales over 2015-2020. Retail volume growth will be restricted not only by population decline, but also by maturity, as cheese is a staple in Latvian households. Nonetheless, modest growth would still be a welcome improvement on category’s negative performance in this regard during the review period, when retail volume sales declined due to the fallout from the economic downturn of 2009-2010. As more favourable economic conditions boost purchasing power over the forecast period, consumers will be able to buy cheese more often, including higher priced varieties they may previously have been unable to afford. The latter will not only include imported brands, but also new and higher quality domestic products. Retail volume growth will also be bolstered by increasing price competition, though this is expected to cause value sales at constant 2015 prices to decline. However, the decline in constant value sales is likely to remain quite small overall thanks to trading up by consumers.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cheese Market Research Report
Sample Cheese Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cheese industry in Latvia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cheese industry in Latvia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cheese in Latvia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cheese in Latvia?
- What are the major brands in Latvia?
- Given mounting obesity concerns, are consumers moving from full-fat to reduced fat/fat-free offerings?
- Are consumers moving from unpackaged to packaged cheese?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Cheese in Latvia - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Spreadable Processed Cheese by Type: % Value Breakdown 2010-2015
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Cheese: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Cheese: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Distribution of Cheese by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cheese by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Packaged Food in Latvia - Industry Context
Despite a positive 2015, performance is slightly weaker than the review period
Positive economic environment benefits consumer confidence and drives up sales
Competitive environment faces fewer changes in 2015
Major distribution channels not only preserve their share, but effectively expand
Packaged food is set to see positive value growth going forward, albeit at a slower rate
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 1 Research Sources