- Unlike cigarettes, which are very common in China, cigars have a much more limited consumer base, although due to the further penetration of Western lifestyles and increasing incomes, more consumers are becoming willing to try them. However, in general, cigar smoking tends to be occasional behaviour due to their high unit prices and strong flavour. Cigars are usually marketed as a symbol of the elite classes and are targeted at the most affluent consumers.
- China Tobacco Chuanyu Industry Corp continued to lead cigars in 2013 with a 56% volume share. Great Wall is the company’s most important cigar brand, enjoying strong brand awareness nationally. At the end of 2013, Great Wall had 44 SKUs, covering various price points.
- Over the forecast period cigars in China is predicted a healthy 17% volume CAGR thanks to the products’ increasing popularity. As the STMA has already issued a guideline document to strengthen the development of homemade mid-to-high-end cigars in June 2013, domestic players such as China Tobacco Chuanyu Industry Corp, China Tobacco Anhui Industry Corp and China Tobacco Hubei Industry Corp are predicted to upgrade from low-priced small cigars to higher-priced standard cigars. Standard cigars is predicted the most dynamic volume CAGR of 18% over the forecast period as a result. Domestic players are expected to increase their investment in mid-to-high-end cigars, albeit restricted by underdeveloped technology and the absence of premium raw materials.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in China with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in China, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in China market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in China?
- What are the major brands in China?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in China and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in China?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in China - Category Analysis
HANDMADE VS MACHINE-MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Tobacco in China - Industry Context
Slowdown in volume growth in cigarettes while value performance remains strong
Switch from high tar to mid tar cigarettes driven by policy guidance
Declining unit price in mid tar cigarettes
Consistent development of strong brands with streamlined product lines
Projected strong value growth and steady volume sales
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 19 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 3 Research Sources