- Compared with cigarettes, cigars have a much shorter history and narrower consumer base in China. Cigar smoking is considered not only exotic but also luxurious thanks to sky-high unit prices. However, with the penetration of Western lifestyle trends and the burgeoning super-rich and middle class in China, cigars are increasingly accepted by local consumers, with volume and current value sales increasing strongly in 2012 despite the global economic downturn.
- China Tobacco Chuanyu Industry Corp dominated cigars sales in China in 2012, recording a volume share of nearly 52%. With high product awareness and consistent quality, the company adheres to a multi-brand strategy with Great Wall, Shi Pai and Gong Zi targeting the premium, mid-range and mass subsectors respectively. In order to focus on the production of mid-ranged and premium cigars, the company invested RMB800 million in cooperating technologically with the Netherlands-based AGIO Cigar Company to establish the largest cigar manufacturing plant, which will be in full operation in 2013 with an annual production capacity of 2 billion sticks of cigars.
- Cigars will record robust double-digit volume and value growth over the forecast period, with sales set to be driven by the fast-growing acceptance of cigar-smoking amid the large smoking population in China together with the booming middle class and super-rich population. Compared with cigarettes, cigars still have a relatively small consumer base in China and the area is still far from being mature. With the support of the STMA, cigars are expected to register healthy development and to be accepted by even more domestic smokers over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in China with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in China, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in China market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in China?
- What are the major brands in China?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in China and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in China?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in China - Category Analysis
HANDMADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars - New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Tobacco in China - Industry Context
Falling tobacco volume growth due to rising health concerns
Product trading-up fuels value growth
Stellar performance of low tar cigarettes due to industry regulation
Domestic players further consolidate leadership
Volume sales expected to remain stable but strong projected value growth
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 14 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 15 Taxation and Duty Levies 2006-2011
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 16 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown
- Table 17 Trade Statistics – Finished Cigarettes 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 18 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 19 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 3 Research Sources