- Cigars, which in China are traditionally viewed as luxury products in Western culture, posted strong growth in 2014 of 17% in volume terms. Cigar smokers in China tend to be more affluent people due to the category’s significantly higher unit prices. Cigars are becoming increasingly prevalent among the Chinese business elite and the upper classes, who not only view them as a status symbol but also as a means to help them relax.
- Great Wall from China Tobacco Chuanyu Industry Corp continued to lead cigars in 2014 with a volume share of 52%, followed by the Wang Guan brand from China Tobacco Anhui Industry Corp with a 25% share and Mao Da from China Tobacco Hubei Industry Corp with less than 1%. Great Wall suffered a sharp decline in share in 2014, partly due to its economy positioning. With a focus on developing the premium segment in China, the Great Wall brand is expected to benefit from price optimisation so as to remain the leading domestic cigar brand.
- China is projected to become a leading market for cigar consumption over the forecast period, largely thanks to the growing purchasing power of business people, improving brand awareness and support from the government. According to the 2014 report on the Chinese economy by the National Bureau of Statistics of China, urban retail sales of consumer goods increased by 11.8% and rural consumer goods by 12.9%. Overall, retail sales growth reached 12.2%. It is believed that a growing number of Chinese consumers can afford to purchase cigars. However, the volume growth of international premium cigar brands is projected to remain stable due to import limits from the STMA.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in China with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in China, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in China market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in China?
- What are the major brands in China?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in China and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in China?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in China - Category Analysis
HANDMADE VS MACHINE-MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Tobacco in China - Industry Context
Smoking ban extended from public officials to mass consumers and regionally to nationally
Cigarettes registers low single-digit volume growth but healthy current value growth
Newly-emerging alternatives register strong growth due to policy support
Building strong brands
International expansion to drive growth
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Summary 3 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 17 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 18 Trade Statistics: Cigarettes 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 19 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 4 Research Sources