- Cigar consumption increased in Costa Rica before and during the review period mainly due to a rise in travel and tourism, and an increase in the number of immigrants landing in Costa Rica, which helped to support premium cigars. Locals’ interest is growing in line with the acculturation process (globalisation), which is boosting more exclusive lifestyles. Emerging habits include “pairing”, wine consumption and Habanos clubs.
- Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA led cigars in 2014 with 36% of retail volume sales. This distributor benefits from being the exclusive representative of the most recognised and traditional Cuban cigar brands available in the country (which include Cohiba, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and Partagás). It is noteworthy that the vast numbers of imitation Cuban cigar which are commonly found in food/drink/tobacco specialists make it difficult to estimate its real share.
- Cigars is expected to register a retail volume CAGR of 5% and a retail value CAGR of 6% (constant 2014 prices) over the forecast period. Cigar performance is expected to continue to be dynamic as the local population continues to adopt the tobacco culture. The ongoing acculturation process (globalisation) and younger consumers’ habits and preferences will help to increase demand for such differentiated products. Moreover, as the global economy and inflow of tourists continue to improve, demand for different and specific cigars will help to boost sales.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Costa Rica and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Costa Rica?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Cigars in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 2 Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA: Competitive Position 2014
Tabacos de la Cordillera SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 4 Tabacos de la Cordillera SA: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Tabacos de la Cordillera SA: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in Costa Rica - Industry Context
Cigarette volumes declining while tax excise barely maintains sales
Flagship brands lead the way in 2014
Legislation benefits cigar sales in the short term
Illicit trade increases
Tobacco projected to decline further over the forecast period
- Summary 6 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2010-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 20 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 21 Trade Statistics: Tobacco Leaf 2010-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 22 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 7 Research Sources