- Due to the lack of a cigar tradition in the country, exclusive Cuban high-end products and locally manufactured alternatives (which are offered at significantly lower prices) are mainly targeted at the large number of tourists who visit the country every year. Cuban tobacco commercialisation has gained relevance following US restrictions on the acquisition of Cuban products, thus making Costa Rica a very attractive destination not only because of its tourist attractions but also its proximity and product availability.
- Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA remained the leading player in Cuban cigars in Costa Rica in 2013, accounting for a 33% share of retail volume sales. This distributor benefits from being the exclusive representative of the most recognised and traditional Cuban cigar brands available in the country (which include Cohiba, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and Partagás), although the vast amount of Cuban cigar imitations which are commonly found in food/drink/tobacco specialists make it difficult to estimate its real share.
- Forecast trends are anticipated to develop in line with the premiumisation of locally-manufactured products, with the most important players looking to reach promising foreign markets such as the US and Europe, while the most sophisticated consumers and distributors will keep looking for tailored products. In the case of Cuban cigars, manufacturers and leading distributors are expected to continue to focus on differentiation, such as store authentication labels, exclusive launches and limited editions, while continuing to add value through high-quality packaging (collectable boxes) and ongoing improvements regarding the origin national warranty seal for cigars and cut tobacco. On the other hand, machine-manufactured cigars could see further dynamism over the forecast period, reaching new consumer groups.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Costa Rica and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Costa Rica?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
HANDMADE VS MACHINE-MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 8 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 9 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 10 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 12 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 16 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Cigars in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 1 Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Cruz Canela & Trust GB SA: Competitive Position 2013
Don Benigno Cigars SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 3 Don Benigno Cigars SA: Key Facts
- Summary 4 Don Benigno Cigars SA: Competitive Position 2013
Soleares in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 5 Soleares: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Soleares: Competitive Position 2013
Tabacos de la Cordillera SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 7 Tabacos de la Cordillera SA: Key Facts
- Summary 8 Tabacos de la Cordillera SA: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in Costa Rica - Industry Context
Smokers’ behaviour impacted by new tobacco control legislation
New price breakdown affects economy options
Illicit trade and counterfeits concern manufacturers and distributors
Ongoing urban development continues to impact the performance of traditional retailers
Cigarette size and other specific features expected to drive innovation over the forecast period
- Table 17 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 18 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 19 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 20 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 21 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 22 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2008-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 23 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 27 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 9 Research Sources