- Throughout the years, Costa Rican smokers have not developed any significant culture related to cigar smoking, preferring in a larger degree cigarettes due to their wide availability and affordable unit prices. Still, tourism activity and the immersion in the globalised context incentivised the establishment of a good amount of cigar manufacturers in the country, often in charge of Cuban expatriates that have incorporated their vast know how and traditional manufacturing techniques to the handcraft of cigars in Costa Rica. Although these products are often oriented to the large amount of tourists that visit the country each year, upper class local consumers have also started to feel attracted by the cigar culture, occasionally enjoying a fine cigar when gathering with friends for socialising and drinking.
- Corporación Habanos remained as the leader of cigar sales in Costa Rica during 2012, accounting for 46% share of retail volume terms. This distributor benefits from being the exclusive representative of the most recognised and traditional Cuban cigar brands available in the country (which include Cohiba, Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta), although the vast amount of Cuban cigars’ imitators which are commonly found in food/drink/tobacco specialists, makes it difficult to estimate its real share participation.
- As local cigar producers continue looking for ways to continue differentiating and adding value to their products, it is expected that the interest towards locally-grown tobacco will continue rising (currently most local cigar manufacturers import tobacco leaf), offering further opportunities for local manufacturers to reach a wider base of potential buyers, who might be looking for specific and unique flavours. Such a scenario could take advantage of the current governmental initiatives to create a country brand positioning, which could lead to increase the demand for Costa Rican products among tourists as well as in foreign markets.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Costa Rica and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Costa Rica?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Cigars in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
Don Benigno Cigars SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 1 Don Benigno Cigars SA: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Don Benigno Cigars SA: Competitive Position 2012
Soleares in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 3 Soleares: Key Facts
- Summary 4 Soleares: Competitive Position 2012
Tabacos de la Cordillera SA in Tobacco (Costa Rica)
- Summary 5 Tabacos de la Cordillera SA: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Tabacos de la Cordillera SA: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in Costa Rica - Industry Context
New tobacco control legislation negatively impacts cigarettes sales
Specific features and flavoured cigarettes continue driving sales
BATTCA continues to improve its competitive position in the country
Modern retailers sales continue to benefit from new outlet openings
Product innovation will continue to develop as main trend over forecast period
- Summary 7 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 19 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 8 Research Sources