- Cigar smoking, and also to some extent smoking of cigarillos, is connected to the urban lifestyle. Moreover, cigars are considered luxury items. Whilst previously cigars and cigarillos were considered a perfect way to end a restaurant or festive meal, in 2007 when the indoor smoking ban was enforced, quicker-to-smoke cigarillos gathered popularity as they could be more easily and quickly smoked outdoors in the changeable and cold Nordic climate.
- The cigar sales in Finland were dominated by the three biggest players. Swedish Match AB managed to maintain its lead by holding 37% volume share in 2012. The company’s position was strong due to marketing the popular cigarillo brands Hofnar, Meester Henk, Van Kemp, Sigge and Meester Hans. The company was not competing in the cigars excluding cigarillos category. Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy and British American Tobacco Finland Oy followed in the second and third leading position in cigars with 34% and 23% volume shares respectively. These companies also owed their positions to their cigarillo brands. Only companies active in the cigarillos category were able to reach leading positions whilst companies present in cigars excluding cigarillos were left with smaller shares. This is mainly because cigarillos dominate category sales and because cigarillos, unlike cigars, are also distributed via grocery retailers whilst cigars sales are concentrated in tobacco specialists. Corporación Habanos SA held 3% overall share in cigars. However, the company was the leader in cigars excluding cigarillos with 50% volume share in 2012.
- Cigars is expected to grow by 3% volume and 4% constant value CAGRs over the forecast period, reaching €131 million for 150 million sticks in 2017. Cigars and cigarillos are viewed as better-quality products made of quality tobacco. The volume growth will result from more consumers trying out cigars and cigarillos and their different blends and flavours. The value growth will exceed the volume growth as taxes are still probable to be increased in the forecast period and consumers also are probable to try out more premium cigars.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Finland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Finland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Finland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Finland?
- What are the major brands in Finland?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Finland and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Finland?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Finland - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars – New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Cigars in Finland - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco Finland Oy in Tobacco (Finland)
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco Oy: Key Facts
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco Oy: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 British American Tobacco Finland Oy: Competitive Position 2012
Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy in Tobacco (Finland)
- Summary 5 Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in Finland - Industry Context
Display ban comes into force accompanied by tax hikes
Companies paying special attention to the trends
Price matters in cigarettes
New product development continues despite display ban
Stagnating value growth will challenge tobacco companies
- Summary 8 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012: Cigarettes
- Table 18 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012: RYO tobacco
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012: Pipe tobacco
- Table 20 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012: Cigars
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 21 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 22 Trade Statistics – Tobacco Leaf 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 23 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 27 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 9 Research Sources