- In Finland, cigar smoking (excluding cigarillos) is not overtly common. Most often it is enjoyed at festive occasions or after a special meal. Cigars are indeed considered luxury items in Finland and much connected to the urban lifestyle. However, both young and old Finns are becoming increasingly interested in cigars, which is linked to the growing interest in premium products in general in Finland and in particular premium alcoholic beverages such as single malt whisky. Cigarillos, meanwhile, are relatively speaking more common in Finland. This is partly linked to the fact that they are cheaper and perceived as being more similar to cigarettes than cigars.
- Cigars is led by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, holding 37% of volume sales in 2013. The company’s lead is a result of the popularity of cigarillo brands such as Hofnar, Meester Henk, Van Kemp, Sigge and Meester Hans. Imperial Tobacco Finland (33%) and British American Tobacco Finland (23%) followed in the second and third places, respectively. These companies are also strong in the large cigarillo market, which explains their overall market positions in cigars. Cigars excluding cigarillos is led by Corporación Habanos, accounting for 56% of volume sales in 2013 due to well-known and appreciated brands such as Montecristo, Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta and Partagás, amongst others.
- Total cigars sales are expected to grow by 9% in volume terms over the forecast period. Growing volume sales reflects a general growing interest in premium products, which is also visible in, for example, alcoholic drinks. Finns are increasingly curious about cigars and interested in trying out cigars and cigarillos and their different blends and flavours. Constant value growth will be stronger than the volume development, due partly to tax hikes, where one enters into force in January 2014 and others are likely to follow. Growth will also be a result of consumers showing a healthy interest in more premium cigars.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Finland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Finland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Finland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Finland?
- What are the major brands in Finland?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Finland and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Finland?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Finland - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Cigars in Finland - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco Finland Oy in Tobacco (Finland)
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco Finland Oy: Key Facts
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco Finland Oy: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 British American Tobacco Finland Oy: Competitive Position 2013
Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy in Tobacco (Finland)
- Summary 5 Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Imperial Tobacco Finland Oy: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in Finland - Industry Context
Another year of declining volume sales in 2013
2013 sees growing prices in tobacco products
Tobacco market completely in the hands of international giants
Close to all tobacco products sold through the grocery channel
Challenging environment, but growing interest in premium tobacco
- Summary 8 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 - Cigarettes
- Table 18 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 - Cigars
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – RYO Tobacco
- Table 20 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – Pipe Tobacco
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 21 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 22 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 9 Research Sources