- In France, cigars and cigarillos are usually consumed after a meal or during social gatherings amongst friends. Traditionally, the majority of smokers of cigars and cigarillos in France are older males. Whilst cigars tend to be smoked on special occasions, such as at family reunions and weddings, the smaller size of cigarillos allows them to be smoked during a short break, like a cigarette. Per capita consumption of cigars in France was 22 in 2013, but this figure has declined continuously since 2004.
- In 2013 the cigars category in France remained concentrated, due to a merger between Swedish Match and Scandinavian Tobacco Group in 2012, with the new entity in France, Scandinavian Tobacco Groupe France, accounting for a 31% share of volume sales of cigars in 2013. Its leading position came from the popularity of its key Café Crème and La Paz brands, which held volume shares of 15% and 9% respectively in 2013. Scandinavian Tobacco Groupe France also maintained its competitive position by launching new brands in the market in 2012, which performed positively in 2013. These included Salsa Mini in cigarillos, targeting consumers of cigarettes at a price comparable to a pack of cigarettes.
- Cigars is expected to see a negative constant value CAGR of 3% over the forecast period, which is comparable to the decline seen in the review period. In volume terms the decline is expected to be even more pronounced, to reach 1.0 billion units by 2018, due to the gloomy economic environment, as well as declining purchasing power. That said, some cigar aficionados are likely to continue to buy premium cigars and limited editions, but less frequently than before.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in France and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in France?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in France - Category Analysis
Hand-made versus manufactured cigars
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Cigars in France - Company Profiles
Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA in Tobacco (France)
- Summary 2 Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in France - Industry Context
Volume sales of cigarettes reach a new low, as taxation increases retail prices
Legislation tightens the tobacco environment
The main players maintain their rankings in a consolidated market
E-cigarettes gain momentum
Gloomy forecast for tobacco
- Summary 5 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 for Cigarettes
- Table 20 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 for Cigars
- Table 21 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 for Roll Your Own
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 22 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 23 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 24 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 27 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 28 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 6 Research Sources