- There was still a strong tradition of cigar smoking in France two or three decades ago. After all, France is the country of cognac, which is often consumed with a good cigar. However, the consumer base for cigars strongly reduced from the 1980s, due to increasingly high taxes and the acceleration of the ban on smoking in public areas, and mainly hotels, in the 2000s. Traditionally, the majority of smokers of cigars and cigarillos in France were older males. However, this consumer base paradoxically slightly widened in recent years in cigars, under the impetus given by the success of small formats.
- Due to the absolute dominance of manufactured cigars, the competitive landscape for cigars is rather concentrated, and controlled by mainstream industrial manufacturers. This was reaffirmed with the merger between Swedish Match and Scandinavian Tobacco Group in 2012. The subsequent new entity in France, Scandinavian Tobacco Groupe France, accounted for a 31% share of volume sales of cigars in 2014. Its leading position came from the popularity of its key Café Crème and La Paz brands, which held volume shares of 15% and 9% respectively in 2014. Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco ranked second in cigars in 2014, taking advantage of a diverse portfolio of popular brands, such as Ninas, Fleur de Savane and Havanitos.
- Cigars is expected to see a negative volume CAGR of 5% over the forecast period, which is much higher than the decline seen in the review period. Cigars was relatively spared by strong rises in taxes in recent years, but could be targeted by new surges in taxes in the short term. Therefore, whilst volume sales of cigars are expected to slump strongly, value sales at constant 2014 prices should experience a slightly better negative CAGR of 3% at constant 2014 prices over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in France and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in France?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in France - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Cigars in France - Company Profiles
Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA in Tobacco (France)
- Summary 2 Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Seita Groupe Imperial Tobacco SA: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in France - Industry Context
Tobacco is increasingly under fire
The latest dynamic products also exhibit signs of saturation
The leaders remain the most exposed, whilst outsiders keep their heads above water
Small distribution channels limit the damage
Growing pressure will be put on most tobacco products
- Summary 5 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014 for Cigarettes
- Table 20 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014 for Cigars
- Table 21 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014 for Roll Your Own Tobacco
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 22 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples (Pack of 20)
- Table 23 Trade Statistics: Tobacco Leaf 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 24 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 27 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 28 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 6 Research Sources