- In France, cigars and cigarillos are usually consumed after a meal or during social gatherings among friends. Traditionally, the majority of smokers of cigars and cigarillos in France are older males. While cigars tend to be consumed on special occasions, such as at family reunions and weddings, the smaller size of cigarillos allows consumers to smoke them during a short break, something that has become more important since the smoking ban. The average per capita consumption of cigars and cigarillos in France ranks above the European average, at almost 23 units per person per year.
- In 2012, the overall cigars category in France remained rather concentrated due to a merger between Swedish Match and Scandinavian Tobacco Group, with the new entity Scandinavian Tobacco accounting for 31% of cigar volume sales in 2012. Its leading position stemmed from the good performance of its key Café Crème and La Paz brands, which held volume shares of 15% and 9%, respectively. Altadis ranked second in the cigars category in 2012. Its main brands (Ninas, Fleur de Savane and Havanitos) showed a stable performance.
- Sales of cigars and cigarillos in France are expected to continue to decline in retail volume terms over the forecast period by a CAGR of 1% due to the gloomy economic environment as well as declining purchasing power. Cigar smokers are likely to buy economy products or cigarillos in order to save money. That said, some cigar aficionados are likely to continue to buy premium cigars and limited editions, but less frequently than before.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in France and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in France?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in France - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars - New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Cigars in France - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco France in Tobacco (France)
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco France: Key Facts
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco France: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 British American Tobacco France: Competitive Position 2012
Imperial Tobacco France SA in Tobacco (France)
- Summary 5 Imperial Tobacco France SA: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Imperial Tobacco France SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Imperial Tobacco France SA: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in France - Industry Context
New increase in taxation reduces sales of cigarettes
Illicit trade becomes alternative solution to expensive cigarettes in France
E-cigarettes increase in popularity
Innovations drive the tobacco market
RYO tobacco was the only category to record growth in 2012
- Summary 8 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies for Cigarettes 2007-2012
- Table 18 Taxation and Duty Levies for Cigars 2007-2012
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies for RYO Tobacco 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 20 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 21 Trade Statistics – Tobacco Leaf 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 22 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 9 Research Sources