- Cigars continue to be associated with luxury, with many consumers regarding cigars as expensive and for special occasions, rather than smoking cigars on an everyday basis. While cigars are associated with status, this is not always a positive association, with many viewing cigar smoking as ostentatious. However, attitudes are showing signs of change, particularly when it comes to more affordable cigarillos. Younger smokers and women are notably proving keen to try cigarillos thanks to these products' reasonable pricing and wide selection of flavours.
- Scandinavian Tobacco is the clear leader in cigars with 49% volume share thanks to its strong Café Crème brand, followed by Arnold André with its Clubmaster brand accounting for 29% share. These brands have the widest distribution reach within cigars and benefit from their joint dominance of cigarillos. Cigarillos is in turn the dominant product area in overall cigars. Both companies also continued to benefit from strong investment in new product development at the end of the review period, with Scandinavian Tobacco launching Café Crème Finos arôme and Arnold André launching Clubmaster Mini Blue Gold in 2014.
- Cigarillos with a filter will see minimum tax rates introduced from 2015 at €60 per 1,000 units, which is likely to have a marked impact on unit price for economy brands in this area. Cigarillos with a filter will notably see minimum tax rates introduced from 2015. Higher taxes are expected to result in around 4% unit price growth at constant 2014 prices in overall cigarillos in the forecast period. These higher taxes will meanwhile reduce the price advantage that cigarillos have over small cigars, thus encouraging some consumers to trade up to the latter area. Higher prices will also dampen volume growth for cigarillos in the forecast period, with less than 2% CAGR expected in the forecast period in comparison to the 13% CAGR seen during the review period. This will also partly be due to consumers shifting further to cross-border purchases of cigarillos as they seek to save money.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Portugal with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Portugal, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Portugal market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Portugal?
- What are the major brands in Portugal?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Portugal and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Portugal?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Portugal - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Cigars in Portugal - Company Profiles
Imperial Tobacco Group Plc in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 2 Imperial Tobacco Group Plc: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Imperial Tobacco Group Plc: Competitive Position 2014
Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 4 Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in Portugal - Industry Context
Rising taxes have heavy impact on sales
Vapour devices soar thanks to widening awareness and availability
Tabaqueira further extends dominance
Consumers prioritise convenience when buying tobacco
Slight forecast period value growth mainly due to further tax increases
- Summary 6 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Portuguese national legislation
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 20 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 21 Trade Statistics: Cigarettes 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 22 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 7 Research Sources