- In Portugal, cigars and cigarillos are usually consumed after a meal or during social gatherings among friends. Traditionally, the majority of smokers of cigars and cigarillos in Portugal are older males. While cigars tend to be consumed on special occasions, such as at family reunions and weddings, the smaller size of cigarillos allows consumers to smoke them during a short break.
- Empor – Importação e Exportação SA, the Portuguese subsidiary of Altadis SA, continues to be the leader in cigars excluding cigarillos even though it had fewer volume sales in 2012. The company offers some of the main cigar brands in Portugal. The category is still dominated by Cuban cigars, while ‘puros’ from the Dominican Republic command a smaller share of sales. Empor offers all the main global brands from the world-famous Cohiba, positioned at the top end of the category, to the more affordable José L Piedra and Romeo y Julieta. The company accounted for a 14% volume share of cigars in 2012 and an 88% share of cigars excluding cigarillos.
- Manufacturers will continue to adapt their offers to meet current regulations, particularly in relation to pack sizes, not only because of the law and the fiscal seal issue but also because of the impact of the financial crisis on consumers’ budgets. Consumers will be more tempted to buy a single product if they do not have to buy a large pack, thus spending less. In addition, different flavours and vitolas in the same box might be a good alternative as the consumer can then experiment.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Portugal with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Portugal, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Portugal market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Portugal?
- What are the major brands in Portugal?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Portugal and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Portugal?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Portugal - Category Analysis
HANDMADE CIGARS VS MACHINE-MANUFACTURED CIGARS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigarillos: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Cigars in Portugal - Company Profiles
Empor – Importação e Exportação SA in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 2 Empor – Importação e Exportação SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Empor – Importação e Exportação SA: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in Portugal - Industry Context
Cigarettes suffers from a decline in volume terms in 2012
Consumers shifting towards cheaper brands and RYO tobacco
Innovations drive the category
Newsagent-tobacconists/kiosks remains the leading distribution channel
More restrictions to come
- Summary 4 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 19 Trade Statistics: Cigarettes 2008-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 5 Research Sources