- Smoking cigars and cigarillos has a long history in Switzerland, with the stereotypical public image of cigars tending to involve premium hand-rolled products smoked by middle-aged and elderly men, while cigarillos is purchased mainly by younger smokers. Switzerland’s upmarket image also attracts the rich and famous, who congregate in its attractive venues to socialise and network and smoking expensive cigars and drinking exclusive whiskies go hand in hand with this image. Overall, cigar smoking was still far more popular among Swiss men than among Swiss women in 2014.
- Burger Söhne was the leading player in cigars with a volume share of 42% in 2014. Its leadership was mainly due to its strong position in cigarillos. Its cigarillo brand, Dannemann, was the second leading brand in cigars with a volume share of 26% in 2014 and a loyal consumer base. The company held a volume share of 48% in cigarillos and 20% in cigars excluding cigarillos in in 2014. It is a domestic company which enjoys high levels of credibility in Switzerland.
- Cigars is expected to register a volume CAGR of 1% over the forecast period, due to the popularity of cigarillos among Swiss youth. The attraction will lie in the low prices and the perception that cigarillos is healthier than cigarettes, as well as being more fashionable and sophisticated. The government and various anti-smoking lobby groups will continue to campaign against this mind-set and to raise awareness that cigarillos is as equally harmful as any other tobacco product.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Switzerland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Switzerland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Switzerland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Switzerland?
- What are the major brands in Switzerland?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Switzerland and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Switzerland?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Switzerland - Category Analysis
HANDMADE VS MACHINE-MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Tobacco in Switzerland - Industry Context
Cigarette smoking continues to decline
Effective marketing strategies are crucial
High levels of consolidation among manufacturers
Mainstream retailers strong in distribution
Cigarettes is expected to decline over the forecast period
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 20 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 21 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 3 Research Sources