- Smoking cigars and cigarillos has a long history in Switzerland, with the stereotypical public image of cigars tending to involve premium hand-rolled products smoked by middle-aged and elderly men, whilst cigarillos are purchased mainly by younger smokers. Switzerland’s upmarket image also attracts the rich and the famous; these people congregate in its attractive venues to socialise and network, and smoking expensive cigars and drinking exclusive whiskies go hand-in-hand with this image. Overall, cigar smoking is still far more popular amongst Swiss men than amongst Swiss women.
- The Burger Group was the leading player in cigars in 2013, with a volume share of 42%. Its lead is mainly due to its strong position in cigarillos, which increased in popularity throughout the review period. Its cigarillos brand Dannemann was the second brand in cigars in 2013, with a volume share of 27%, and it has a loyal consumer base. The company held a volume share of 49% in cigarillos and a 20% share in cigars excluding cigarillos in 2013. It is a domestic company which enjoys high credibility in Switzerland.
- Cigars is expected to register a CAGR of 1% in the forecast period, thanks to the popularity of cigarillos amongst younger Swiss smokers. The attraction will lie in the low prices of such products, and the perception that cigarillos are healthier than cigarettes, as well as being trendier and more sophisticated. The government and various anti-smoking lobby groups will continue to campaign against this mindset, and will try to raise awareness that cigarillos are equally as harmful as any other tobacco product.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Switzerland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Switzerland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Switzerland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Switzerland?
- What are the major brands in Switzerland?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Switzerland and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Switzerland?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Switzerland - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Tobacco in Switzerland - Industry Context
Cigarette smoking continues to decline
The responsible smoker
The leading international manufacturers dominate the competitive landscape
Distribution is in the hands of mass retailers
Cigarettes is expected to continue to see a volume decline in the forecast period
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 19 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 3 Research Sources