- Cigarillos enjoy high popularity in Switzerland and large quantities of cigarillos are smoked by young people at the weekends in clubs and bars in all major Swiss cities. According to the Verband der Schweizer Zigarrenfabrikanten (Swiss trade association of Cigar Manufacturers), the popularity of cigarillos is linked to the tobacco wrapping used in cigarillos, which leads to them being considered more natural than cigarettes. Furthermore, cigarillos are deemed to be healthier by many Swiss people as the smoke is not inhaled. However, the Swiss anti-smoking lobby has issued stark warnings against adopting this outlook, claiming that cigarillos are at least as harmful as any other tobacco product.
- The Burger Group remained the leading player in cigars in Switzerland throughout the review period. The company manufactures both cigars and cigarillos, although its success is based on its activities in cigarillos, where it is present with the Dannemann brand. Dannemann is a brand with a strong, loyal customer base. In cigars excluding cigarillos, the Burger Group has a much weaker position.
- Cigars in Switzerland is expected to record static volume growth over the forecast period. This performance is set to be the result of a balance between the declines expected in cigars excluding cigarillos and the increases expected in sales of cigarillos. Cigarillos is expected to increase in volume at a CAGR of 1% over the forecast period. The rising consumer demand for cigarillos is likely to be due to rising demand among young Swiss people as cigarillos are often perceived as being healthier than cigarettes, as well as being trendier and more sophisticated.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Switzerland with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Switzerland, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Switzerland market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Switzerland?
- What are the major brands in Switzerland?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Switzerland and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Switzerland?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in Switzerland - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars - New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Tobacco in Switzerland - Industry Context
Cigarette consumption suffers due to smoking ban
‘Natural’ and additive-free products become highly desirable
High degree of consolidation among cigarette manufacturers
Mainstream retailers strong on distribution
Tobacco is expected to decline in volume over the forecast period
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 19 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 3 Research Sources