- Typical cigar smokers in the Netherlands are males of 35 years and over. Education and loyalty are two of the main aspects on which both manufacturers and retailers are focusing, in order to generate demand and create a shift towards premium products. Many tobacco specialists focusing on cigars have developed workshops or affinity sessions where consumers can get together to enjoy or sample cigars. Some tobacco specialists also have a cigar lounge for this purpose, where consumers can meet. Although the number of female cigar smokers is far lower, it is growing, with more women showing an interest in these products and willing to learn about variants and attributes.
- The main local players in cigars are Agio Cigars and Swedish Match, with the latter owned by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S. These two global manufacturers accounted for 71% of volume sales of cigars in the Netherlands in 2013. Other large players are The Burger Group, GBO of the popular brands Ritmeester and Dannemann cigars, and smaller brand owners, such as Protabac, G de Graaff Sigaren and Van der Donk Sigaren.
- It is expected that continuing government campaigns and measures will have a negative impact on both volume and value sales of cigars and cigarillos over the forecast period. The largest decline in volume sales is expected in standard cigars, followed by large cigars. Also, due to increasing sales of premium cigars, the value growth of large cigars is expected to be less negative than standard cigars.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Netherlands with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Netherlands, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Netherlands market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Netherlands?
- What are the major brands in Netherlands?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Netherlands and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Netherlands?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in the Netherlands - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Cigars in the Netherlands - Company Profiles
Agio Cigars in Tobacco (Netherlands)
- Summary 2 Agio Cigars: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Agio Cigars: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Agio Cigars: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in the Netherlands - Industry Context
Tobacco volume sales keep declining, as retail prices increase once more
Revision to the EU Directive expected to have a significant impact on tobacco
Philip Morris’s volume share declines, but it remains the biggest player in a concentrated market
Grocery retailers increases its presence, as forecourt retailers and specialist retailers struggle
Further decline in tobacco volume sales projected
- Summary 5 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – Cigarettes
- Table 20 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – Smoking tobacco
- Table 21 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – Cigars
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 22 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 23 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 24 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 27 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 28 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 6 Research Sources