- As in other tobacco categories, cigars continues to experience declining demand in the Netherlands. The health and wellness trend and rising levels of social pressure due to reinforced restrictions on smoking in public places are negatively influencing the category. Nevertheless, manufacturers and retailers alike are witnessing a shift towards cigars and they have responded by concentrating their efforts and resources on developing this relatively small tobacco category. Cigars have traditionally appealed primarily to elderly male consumers, although the category has seen rising interest among younger men and middle-aged men and even some women as they are increasingly seen as exclusive gourmet products, with some consumers even developing an interest in the production processes and the origins of the tobacco leaves used to produce their favourite cigars.
- Agio Cigars and Swedish Match are the largest manufacturers of cigars in the Netherlands, being present with a substantial number of brands, extensive distribution and a long-established presence in the country.
- While leading cigar manufacturers are targeting new consumer groups, cigars is expected to decline in volume at a CAGR of 1% over the forecast period. Cigars has not been able to escape the general negative impact on sales of tobacco of the rising interest in healthier lifestyles among the Dutch population and the pressure coming on unit prices due to rising excise duties. Cigars tend to have a better image than cigarettes, although the harmful effects of smoking coupled with the advent of more restrictions in terms of pursuing the habit in public places mean negative prospects for potential growth in cigars during the forecast period.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Netherlands with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Netherlands, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Netherlands market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Netherlands?
- What are the major brands in Netherlands?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Netherlands and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Netherlands?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in the Netherlands - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Cigars in the Netherlands - Company Profiles
Agio Cigars in Tobacco (Netherlands)
- Summary 2 Agio Cigars: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Agio Cigars: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Agio Cigars: Production Statistics 2014
- Summary 5 Agio Cigars: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in the Netherlands - Industry Context
Higher prices result in lower volume sales of tobacco
Price rises generate a shift towards smoking tobacco or purchases across the border
Philip Morris maintains its lead but witnesses a shift towards lower priced products
Specialist retailers face more pressure due to higher competition from other channels
Sales expected to decline further over the forecast period
- Summary 6 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 16 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 17 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Smoking at school public grounds
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 18 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2015 – Cigarettes
- Table 20 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2015 – Smoking tobacco
- Table 21 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2015 – Cigars
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 22 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 23 Trade Statistics: Tobacco Leaf 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
Philip Morris active in fighting illicit trade
Illegal factory in Aalsmeer
- Table 24 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 26 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 27 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 28 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 7 Research Sources