- The typical cigar smoker in the Netherlands is male, and aged 35 years and above. Education and loyalty are two main aspects on which both manufacturers and retailers are focusing in order to generate demand and create a shift towards premium products. Many tobacco specialists with a high focus on cigars develop workshops or affinity sessions where consumers can get together to enjoy or sample cigars. Some tobacco specialists also have a cigar lounge for this purpose, where consumers can meet. Although the number of female cigar smokers is far lower, it is growing, with more women showing an interest in these products and willing to learn about variants and attributes.
- The main local player, Agio Cigars, continued to lead cigars in the Netherlands in 2012, with a strong volume share of 45%. Its closest competitor was Swedish Match, although with a significant gap. In addition to these top two companies, there are quite a lot of small but solid Dutch manufacturers with a long-established presence, such as Sigarenfabriek de Olifant, G de Graaff Sigaren and Van der Donk Sigaren.
- Small cigars and cigarillos are expected to gain share over the forecast period in volume and value terms, caused by the shift towards the desire for a shorter smoking time. Large and standard cigars are expected to lose share in volume terms, but the trend towards premium cigars will ensure fairly stable values share in these categories.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Cigars Market Research Report
Sample Cigars Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Cigars industry in Netherlands with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Cigars industry in Netherlands, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Cigars in Netherlands market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Cigars in Netherlands?
- What are the major brands in Netherlands?
- What are the main distribution channels for cigars in Netherlands and which are performing well?
- What is the proportion of hand-made versus machine manufactured cigars in Netherlands?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.
Table of Contents
Cigars in the Netherlands - Category Analysis
HAND-MADE VS MACHINE MANUFACTURED SPLITS
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Cigars - New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Volume Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 6 Sales of Cigars by Handmade vs Machine-manufactured: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Cigars Excluding Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Cigarillos: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 11 Distribution of Cigars by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Cigars by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Cigars in the Netherlands - Company Profiles
Agio Cigars in Tobacco (Netherlands)
- Summary 2 Agio Cigars: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Agio Cigars: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Agio Cigars: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in the Netherlands - Industry Context
Further tax increase negatively affects volume sales in 2012
Consumers shift towards lower-priced brands and RYO/MYO products
Philip Morris remains the biggest player, but there is also diversity
Grocery retailers is the most popular channel for cigarettes and smoking tobacco
Further volume decline inevitable
- Summary 5 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012 – Cigarettes
- Table 18 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012 – Smoking Tobacco
- Table 19 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012 – Cigars
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Summary 6 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 20 Trade Statistics – Tobacco Leaf 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 21 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 7 Research Sources