- After a period marked by a consumption decline, the last two years of the review period were more positive for the coffee category. 2012 and 2013 saw Portuguese increasingly preferring to drink their coffee at home, rather than going out to coffee shops, a trend that has resulted in a continued decline in on-trade volume sales of coffee, but strong growth in the off-trade channel. On-trade volume sales fell by 8% in 2013 compared to 6% growth in off-trade volumes.
- The fresh ground coffee pods category is having a notable impact on the Portuguese hot drinks industry and the first companies to start investing in this concept have maintained a leading position in the coffee category. Nestlé Portugal SA is the key example of this. Its Nespresso and Nescafé Dolce Gusto brands strongly contributed to the company’s leading position in coffee, where it posted a 35% off-trade value share in 2013. Nestlé’s Buondi brand, released in April 2013, is another new format aimed at the off-trade channel. After the release in 2011 of Buondi Dolce Gusto pods, the company invested in Buondi fresh ground coffee in 250g packs.
- The coffee category is expected to perform positively over the forecast period. Similar to 2012-2013, coffee sales, particularly in the off-trade channel, are expected to continue to grow, with consumer demand not being significantly impacted by the difficult economic conditions in the country. In fact, not even the new government cuts that are predicted as a result of the State Budget in 2014 are expected to halt the development of the coffee category. Overall coffee is expected to show a stronger performance in the forecast period compared with the review period, with total volume sales set to rise at a 4% CAGR in 2013-2018. Both the off-trade and on-trade channels are expected to show better results than were seen in the review period, with on-trade volumes returning to a positive CAGR of 1%, reflecting rising consumer confidence.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Coffee Market Research Report
Sample Coffee Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Coffee industry in Portugal with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Coffee industry in Portugal, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Coffee in Portugal market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Coffee in Portugal?
- What are the major brands in Portugal?
- How significant is vending in coffee distribution?
- How does the increasing number of speciality coffee shops impact retail sales of coffee?
- How are coffee pods performing in Portugal?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Hot Drinks market research database.
Table of Contents
Coffee in Portugal - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Retail Sales of Fresh Ground Coffee by Standard vs Pods: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 6 Retail Sales of Instant Coffee by Type: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Coffee: % Retail Value 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Coffee: % Retail Value 2010-2013
- Table 9 Forecast Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 10 Forecast Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Retail Sales of Coffee by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Retail Sales of Fresh Ground Coffee by Standard vs Pods: % Value 2013-2018
Coffee in Portugal - Company Profiles
New Coffee Co in Hot Drinks (Portugal)
- Summary 1 New Coffee Co: Key Facts
- Summary 2 New Coffee Co: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 New Coffee Co: Competitive Position 2013
Novadelta - Comércio e Indústria de Cafés Lda in Hot Drinks (Portugal)
- Summary 4 Novadelta – Comércio e Indústria de Cafés SA: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Novadelta – Comércio e Indústria de Cafés SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 Novadelta – Comércio e Indústria de Cafés SA: Competitive Position 2013
Nutricafés- Cafés e Restauração SA in Hot Drinks (Portugal)
- Summary 7 Nutricafés – Cafés e Restauração SA: Key Facts
- Summary 8 Nutricafés – Cafés e Restauração SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 9 Nutricafés – Cafés e Restauração SA: Competitive Position 2013
Hot Drinks in Portugal - Industry Context
Hot drinks capable of circumventing current economic crisis
Coffee pod machines re-energising the hot drinks industry
Nestlé maintains its lead
Supermarkets remain dominant
Economic recovery forms the basis of hot drinks’ future positive development