Belarus has had very high inflation in 2011 and 2012. Due to the major national currency devaluation and subsequent price rises, people have had to spend very cautiously and look for special offers and discounts. Yet, before prices rise, many people rush to buy big-ticket items. Habits vary in urban and rural areas, with greater awareness of health trends among urbanites. That said, many people have low living standards and unhealthy habits, reflected in high alcohol and tobacco consumption.
Consumer Lifestyle Reports provide current and detailed snapshots of the unique behaviours, attitudes and spending patterns of consumers in Belarus.
In addition to covering important core topics like household disposable income, consumer expenditure, savings and credit and housing and home ownership, this report also contains hard-to-find statistics on more specific consumer-related topics like eating and drinking habits, shopping habits, preferred types of stores and retail venues, clothing and fashion trends and descriptions of how consumers spend their leisure and recreation time.
A consumer segmentation section in the report breaks down the Belarus’s consumers by specific age groups, ranging from babies and infants to pensioners; highlighting the factors that influence purchasing decisions and the products in greatest demand for each segment.
Use the Consumer Lifestyle in Belarus report to answer questions including:
- In what types of stores do consumers shop for food and drink?
- Do commuters drive cars to work or take public transport?
- How do ethnic groups influence consumer preferences and expenditure trends?
- How many households own microwave ovens? Personal computers? Refrigerators?
- On the whole, are the Belarus’s consumers spenders or savers?
- Where do consumers go on holiday and how much do they spend?
- How well are consumers served by the Belarus’s healthcare system?
Buy Consumer Lifestyle reports to:
- Get a quick, clear and comprehensive understanding of consumer trends, attitudes and behaviour in Belarus with relevant data conveniently laid out in a single, easy-to-read document
- Immediately gain hard-to-discern insights from local analysts into the factors that influence daily decision-making processes of Belarus consumers as they shop for and buy needed products and services
- Save research time and effort by quickly identifying unique (or in some cases similar) consumer attributes and characteristics that explain the demand for specific products and services in Belarus
- Quickly grasp the dynamics and direction of Belarus’s retail distribution network in order to understand how manufacturers and distributors get their products to consumers
Table of Contents
CONSUMER HABITS IN CONTEXT
Current Behaviour within the Broader Economic Climate
- Chart 1 Misery Index 2007-2012
- Chart 2 Number of Students in Higher Education and Consumer Expenditure on Education 2007-2012
- Chart 3 Regional Ranking of Number of University Students 2012
Women in the Workplace
Alternative Work Options
- Chart 4 Employed and Unemployed Population and Labour Force Participation Rate 2007-2012
- Chart 5 Population Aged 15-64 Compared with Old-Age Dependency Ratio 2000-2020
- Chart 6 Regional Ranking of Female Employment Rate 2012
Attitudes towards Food Trends
- Chart 7 Per Capita Expenditure on Consumer Foodservice by Chained and Independent 2012
- Chart 8 Regional Ranking of Availability of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables 2012
Attitudes towards Drinking
Drinking Inside the Home
Drinking Outside the Home
- Chart 9 Per Capita Consumption of Alcoholic Drinks and Soft Drinks by Category 2012
- Chart 10 Regional Ranking of Alcoholic Drinks Consumption: Off-trade vs On-trade 2012
Attitudes towards Personal Care
Attitudes towards Beauty
Use of Hair Care Salons, Spas, Nail and Beauty Parlours
- Chart 11 Value Sales of Beauty and Personal Care Key Categories 2007-2012
- Chart 12 Regional Ranking of Per Capita Sales of Men's Grooming Products 2012
Attitudes towards Clothing
Attitudes towards Footwear
Attitudes towards Personal Adornment
Attitudes towards Accessories/Luxury Goods
- Chart 13 Consumer Expenditure on Clothing and Footwear 2007-2012
- Chart 14 Regional Ranking of Consumer Expenditure on Clothing and Footwear as a Proportion of Total Consumer Expenditure 2012
HEALTH AND WELLNESS HABITS
Public versus Private Healthcare
Attitudes to Health and Well-being
Over-the-Counter Versus Prescription-Only Medicines (OTC vs POM)
Sport and Fitness
- Chart 15 Growth in OTC Expenditure on Pharmaceuticals Compared with Healthy Life Expectancy at Birth 2007-2012
- Chart 16 Regional Ranking of Obese and Overweight Population 2012
Attitudes to Smoking
- Chart 17 Smoking Prevalence amongst Men and Women 2007-2012
- Chart 18 Regional Ranking of Smoking Prevalence 2012
Attitudes to Shopping
Main Household Food and Non-Food Consumables Shop
Top-Up Food Shopping
Shopping for Big-Ticket Items
E-commerce and M-commerce
- Chart 19 Importance of Hypermarkets, Supermarkets and Discounters within Grocery Retailing 2012
- Chart 20 Regional Ranking of Sales through Internet Retailing 2012
Public Holidays, Celebrations and Gift-Giving
- Chart 21 Cinema Attendances 2007-2012
- Chart 22 Regional Ranking of Consumer Expenditure on Leisure and Recreation as a Proportion of Total Consumer Expenditure 2012
DIY AND GARDENING HABITS
Attitudes to DIY
Attitudes to Gardening
- Chart 23 Number of Home Owners and New Dwellings Completed 2007-2012
- Chart 24 Regional Ranking of Home Owners as a Proportion of Total Households 2012
PET OWNERSHIP HABITS
Attitudes to Pet Ownership
- Chart 25 Sales of Pet Food 2007-2012
Use of Public Transport
- Chart 26 Kilometres Travelled by Road, Rail and Air Compared with Road Network, Number of Scheduled Airline Passengers Carried and Consumer Expenditure on Transport Services 2006-2011
- Chart 27 Regional Ranking of Possession of Passenger Cars 2012
Attitudes to Taking Holidays
Main Holiday-Taking Trends
Domestic versus Foreign Holidays
Preferred Travel Methods
- Chart 28 Tourism Expenditure and Tourism Receipts 2007-2012
Attitudes toward Payment Methods
Loans and Mortgages
- Chart 29 Consumer Lending Compared with Savings and Savings Ratio 2007-2012
- Chart 30 Regional Ranking of Financial Cards in Circulation 2012