In recent years, Norwegian consumers have been cushioned from the most severe effects of the global economic downturn. Largely, this was due to the economic benefits brought about by strong global demand for the country’s abundant natural resources. While consumers tightened their belts somewhat in 2009, by 2010 spending rebounded, in line with increasing annual disposable incomes. Overall, this scenario has led to relatively unwavering demand for a wide range of consumer products and services.
Consumer Lifestyle Reports provide current and detailed snapshots of the unique behaviours, attitudes and spending patterns of consumers in Norway.
In addition to covering important core topics like household disposable income, consumer expenditure, savings and credit and housing and home ownership, this report also contains hard-to-find statistics on more specific consumer-related topics like eating and drinking habits, shopping habits, preferred types of stores and retail venues, clothing and fashion trends and descriptions of how consumers spend their leisure and recreation time.
A consumer segmentation section in the report breaks down the Norway’s consumers by specific age groups, ranging from babies and infants to pensioners; highlighting the factors that influence purchasing decisions and the products in greatest demand for each segment.
Use the Consumer Lifestyle in Norway report to answer questions including:
- In what types of stores do consumers shop for food and drink?
- Do commuters drive cars to work or take public transport?
- How do ethnic groups influence consumer preferences and expenditure trends?
- How many households own microwave ovens? Personal computers? Refrigerators?
- On the whole, are the Norway’s consumers spenders or savers?
- Where do consumers go on holiday and how much do they spend?
- How well are consumers served by the Norway’s healthcare system?
Buy Consumer Lifestyle reports to:
- Get a quick, clear and comprehensive understanding of consumer trends, attitudes and behaviour in Norway with relevant data conveniently laid out in a single, easy-to-read document
- Immediately gain hard-to-discern insights from local analysts into the factors that influence daily decision-making processes of Norway consumers as they shop for and buy needed products and services
- Save research time and effort by quickly identifying unique (or in some cases similar) consumer attributes and characteristics that explain the demand for specific products and services in Norway
- Quickly grasp the dynamics and direction of Norway’s retail distribution network in order to understand how manufacturers and distributors get their products to consumers
Table of Contents
CONSUMER HABITS IN CONTEXT
Current Behaviour within the Broader Economic Climate
- Chart 1 Misery Index 2006-2011
- Chart 2 Number of Students in Higher Education and Expenditure per Student in PPP Terms 2006-2011
- Chart 3 Regional Ranking of Number of University Students 2011
Women in the Workplace
Alternative Work Options
- Chart 4 Employed and Unemployed Population and Labour Force Participation Rate 2006-2011
- Chart 5 Population Aged 15-64 Compared with Old-Age Dependency Ratio 2000-2020
- Chart 6 Regional Ranking of Female Employment Rate 2011
Attitudes towards Food Trends
- Chart 7 Per Capita Expenditure on Consumer Foodservice by Chained and Independent 2011
- Chart 8 Regional Ranking of Availability of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables 2011
Attitudes towards Drinking
Drinking Inside the Home
Drinking Outside the Home
- Chart 9 Per Capita Consumption of Alcoholic Drinks and Soft Drinks by Category 2011
- Chart 10 Regional Ranking of Alcoholic Drinks Consumption: Off-trade vs On-trade 2011
Attitudes towards Personal Care
Attitudes towards Beauty
Use of Hair Care Salons, Spas, Nail and Beauty Parlours
- Chart 11 Value Sales of Beauty and Personal Care Key Categories 2006-2011
- Chart 12 Regional Ranking of Per Capita Sales of Men's Grooming Products 2011
Attitudes towards Clothing
Attitudes towards Footwear
Attitudes towards Personal Adornment
Attitudes towards Accessories/Luxury Goods
- Chart 13 Consumer Expenditure on Clothing and Footwear 2006-2011
- Chart 14 Regional Ranking of Consumer Expenditure on Clothing and Footwear as a Proportion of Total Consumer Expenditure 2011
HEALTH AND WELLNESS HABITS
Public versus Private Healthcare
Attitudes to Health and Well-being
Over-the-Counter versus Prescription-Only Medicines (OTC vs POM)
Sport and Fitness
- Chart 15 Growth in Public and OTC Expenditure on Pharmaceuticals Compared with Healthy Life Expectancy at Birth 2006-2011
- Chart 16 Regional Ranking of Obese and Overweight Population 2011
Attitudes to Smoking
- Chart 17 Smoking Prevalence amongst Men and Women 2006-2011
- Chart 18 Regional Ranking of Smoking Prevalence 2011
Attitudes to Shopping
Main Household Food and Non-food Consumables Shop
Top-up Food Shopping
Shopping for Big-ticket Items
E-commerce and M-commerce
- Chart 19 Importance of Hypermarkets, Supermarkets and Discounters within Grocery Retailing 2011
- Chart 20 Regional Ranking of Sales through Internet Retailing 2011
Public Holidays, Celebrations and Gift-giving
- Chart 21 Cinema Attendances 2006-2011
- Chart 22 Regional Ranking of Consumer Expenditure on Leisure and Recreation as a Proportion of Total Consumer Expenditure 2011
DIY AND GARDENING HABITS
Attitudes to DIY
Attitudes to Gardening
- Chart 23 Number of Home Owners and New Dwellings Completed 2006-2011
- Chart 24 Regional Ranking of Home Owners as a Proportion of Total Households 2011
PET OWNERSHIP HABITS
Attitudes to Pet Ownership
- Chart 25 Pet Population and Sales of Pet Food 2006-2011
- Chart 26 Regional Ranking of Pet Ownership 2011
Use of Public Transport
- Chart 27 Kilometres Travelled by Road, Rail and Air Compared with Motorway Intensity, Petrol Prices and Number of Scheduled Airline Passengers Carried 2006-2011
- Chart 28 Regional Ranking of Possession of Passenger Cars 2011
Attitudes to Taking Holidays
Main Holiday-taking Trends
Domestic versus Foreign Holidays
Preferred Travel Methods
- Chart 29 Domestic and Outgoing Tourist Expenditure by Sector 2006-2011
- Chart 30 Regional Ranking of Holiday Departures 2011
Attitudes toward Payment Methods
Loans and Mortgages
- Chart 31 Consumer Lending Compared with Savings and Savings Ratio 2006-2011
- Chart 32 Regional Ranking of Financial Cards in Circulation 2011