- Belgium’s dog population decreased over the course of 2013, the continuation of a trend which was in evidence in the country over the entire review period. This phenomenon is related mainly to the fact that Belgian consumers are slowly shifting towards cat ownership. Cats are generally less expensive to own and can live more easily in urban areas. In fact, urbanisation is an important factor in this shift away from dogs towards cats as increasing numbers of Belgian households are located in the country’s major cities and their suburbs. More specifically, these urban households often have less living space and often have no outside space such as a garden or terrace at all. Under these conditions, keeping a dog becomes much more difficult than keeping a cat.
- During 2013, Mars Belgium NV maintained its leadership over dog food. Mars has a strong presence in grocery retailers outlets and solid brand recognition. However, towards the end of the review period, the company’s performance was negatively affected by the ongoing decline in Belgium’s pet dog population, which caused a decline in volume sales across the board. Mid-priced dry dog food brands such as Pedigree were able to offset these volume declines by charging higher unit prices. As a result of the increased competition in several dog food categories, especially dog treats, Mars’ value share in dog food remained static over the course of 2013.
- Belgium’s dog population is expected to decline further over the course of the forecast period. Such a decline is likely to entail further decreases in volume sales of dog food. Value growth is set to remain positive in constant 2014 terms, however, thanks to the positive performance which is expected in premium dog food as the trend towards premium and super-premium brands which was evident throughout the review period is set to continue building during the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in Belgium with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in Belgium, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in Belgium market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in Belgium?
- What are the major brands in Belgium?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in Belgium - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Table 2 Dog Population 2009-2014
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2014
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Dog Food in Belgium - Company Profiles
Aniserco SA/NV in Pet Care (Belgium)
- Summary 2 Aniserco SA NV: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Aniserco Sa NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Aniserco SA NV: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 5 Aniserco SA NV: Competitive Position 2013
Beaphar Belgium Bvba in Pet Care (Belgium)
- Summary 6 Beaphar Belgium Bvba: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Beaphar Belgium Bvba: Competitive Position 2013
Versele-Laga NV in Pet Care (Belgium)
- Summary 8 Versele-Laga NV: Key Facts
- Summary 9 Versele-Laga NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 10 Versele-Laga NV: Competitive Position 2013
Pet Care in Belgium - Industry Context
Declining consumer base results in volume declines in pet food
Premiumisation drives value growth across pet food
Consolidated competitive situation in pet food as pet care overall remains fragmented
Grocery retailers channels compete against pet shops and pet superstores
Value-added products to drive value growth in pet care over the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Pet humanisation trend drives value growth
Cats slowly assert their dominance over dogs as the Belgians’ preferred pet
Rising demand for convenience works in favour of dry dog food and dry cat food
Changing regulation of veterinary pharmaceuticals influences pet healthcare
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2009-2014
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 11 Research Sources