- The emergence of regional brands focusing on natural – whether canned or frozen – wet dog food highlights dog owners’ concerns about how healthy processed food is for their pets. While there is, still, a large proportion of Brazilians who feed their dogs with human food scraps, a niche group of higher-income consumers is already migrating from premium and super premium processed food to natural products, properly prepared for pets – preservatives-free, with no artificial spices and balanced in accordance with veterinary surgeons’ indications. Especially regarding pets that have any kind of food restriction, brands such as La Pet Cuisine, for example, that prepare natural frozen food as prescribed by veterinary surgeons, are gaining increasing importance within the industry. Although frozen food is perceived as a more healthy option, distribution should be a challenge. This explains why other brands are investing in canned natural food, such as Pet Delicia, for example. This trend is, however, seen much more in major urban centres such as São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and does not as yet represent the preference of the whole country.
- Mars Brasil Alimentos continue to hold first position in terms of value sales within dog food in 2014, registering a 23% value share, closely followed by Nestlé Brasil with 21%. Both brands continued to hold leading positions because of high brand awareness among consumers, constant investments in new products and expansion of their portfolios. Pedigree, for example, has a whole product line composed of treats, dry and wet dog food, and frequent promotion via advertising campaigns on TV supporting sales, as well as advertising material at points of sale.
- As a consequence of the uncertain economic situation in the country, economy dry dog food is expected to register the highest growth in 2015, of 10% in current terms and 4% in volume terms. As premium dry dog food is mainly purchased by higher-income consumers, due to being more expensive, such consumers are expected to be less affected by the economic situation in the short term. Brand loyalty for premium brands is also an important factor to consider, which indicates that the consumption of such products is not expected to be drastically affected. For mid-priced brands, however, the situation is different: the purchasing decision is much more based on prices rather than quality, brand name and/or benefits. A downgrade to economy brands is, therefore, expected to happen, especially in 2015. The entrance of new consumers in this category, migrating from scraps to processed products, is also expected to slowdown as prices are set to be less attractive.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in Brazil with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in Brazil, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in Brazil market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in Brazil?
- What are the major brands in Brazil?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in Brazil - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Table 2 Dog Population 2010-2015
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2015
Dog Food in Brazil - Company Profiles
Mars Brasil Alimentos Ltda in Pet Care (Brazil)
- Summary 2 Mars Brasil Alimentos Ltda: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Mars Brasil Alimentos Ltda: Competitive Position 2014
Nestlé Brasil Ltda in Pet Care (Brazil)
- Summary 4 Nestlé Brasil Ltda: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Nestlé Brasil Ltda: Competitive Position 2014
Total Alimentos SA in Pet Care (Brazil)
- Summary 6 Total Alimentos SA: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Total Alimentos SA: Competitive Position 2014
Pet Care in Brazil - Industry Context
Economic slowdown to support sales of economy pet food brands
Natural healthy food for pets to increase differentiation and competition within pet care
Wide product portfolio and differentiation to increase competition
Internet retailing to stimulate sales, even in unfavourable economic times
Unit price increases to impact demand over the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Assuring pets’ happiness and mental health: a new goal for pet owners
Natural food for pets: are owners going back to basics?
Internet retailing: innovation in services and an omni-channel retailing strategy to boost sales
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2010-2015
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources