- Dog food is expected to continue registering negative volume growth in 2016, in line with the negative growth trends which have been apparent in the category since 2011. Despite the most severe drops in volume sales of dog food of the past decade being recorded in 2014 and 2015, dog food remains the most sizeable pet food category in France in volume terms, accounting for 57% of total pet food volume sales in 2015. The decline in the pet dog population and, consequently, in the percentage of French households owning pet dogs, had a direct negative impact on sales of dog food towards the end of the review period. In addition to long-term demographic factors, three manufacturers which supply private label dog food, ATM, Villeneuve Pet Food and Pet Food Plus, were acquired during 2014 by ATM Pet Food, Deuerer Pet Food France and United Petfood respectively, which led to the adoption of new development strategies based on premium products and exports, according to industry experts As a result, value sales were also relatively affected, which resulted in only a marginal current value growth being recorded in dog food in 2015, with marginal current value growth expected again 2016.
- In 2016, the competitive landscape in dog food remained highly concentrated, with major international players Mars Petcare & Food France and Nestlé Purina Petcare France SAS combined accounting for 40% of total value sales in the category. Royal Canin SAS, Affinity Petcare France SA and Hill’s pet nutrition SNC followed in the third, fourth and fifth places respectively in 2015. All of these five leading players recorded increases in their value shares in 2015, while the value share of private label declined. The competitive landscape in dog food is expected to become more concentrated during the forecast period as the category’s leading brands continue to innovate, in line with the prevailing consumer preference for premium products on the one hand and private label on the other, although the strong performance of private label dog food during the economic recession has now come to an end. The ongoing development of internet retailing has the potential to bolster competition in the category during the forecast period because it presents smaller players with the opportunity to enter dog food.
- The ongoing decline in France’s dog population is not expected to change over the forecast period, while premiumisation and the increasing pace of unit price growth are likely to likely to influence value growth, depending on supply side strategies. Consequently, dog food is set to decline in volume at a CAGR of 4% over the forecast period, while value sales are set to decline by 1% in constant 2016 terms over the course of the entire forecast period.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in France - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2011-2016
- Table 2 Dog Population 2011-2016
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2011-2016
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2016
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2011-2016
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2011-2016
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2011-2016
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2011-2016
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2011-2016
- Table 9 Sales of Dry Dog Food by Life-Cycle: % Value 2011-2016
- Table 10 Sales of Wet Dog Food by Life-Cycle: % Value 2011-2016
- Table 11 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 12 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 13 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2016-2021
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2016-2021
- Table 16 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2016-2021
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2016-2021
Dog Food in France - Company Profiles
Affinity Petcare France SA in Pet Care (France)
- Summary 2 Affinity Petcare France: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Affinity Petcare France: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Affinity Petcare France SAS: Competitive Position 2015
Mars Petcare & Food France in Pet Care (France)
- Summary 5 Mars Petcare & Food France: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Mars Petcare & Food France: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Mars Petcare & Food France: Competitive Position 2015
Nestlé Purina PetCare France SAS in Pet Care (France)
- Summary 8 Nestle Purina PetCare France SAS: Key Facts
- Summary 9 Nestle Purina PetCare France SAS: Operational Indicators
- Summary 10 Nestle Purina PetCare France SAS: Competitive Position 2015
Pet Care in France - Industry Context
Pet care volume growth slows down in 2016 while value sales increase
Premiumisation remains the main driver of growth in pet care
Major players strengthen their position over competitors
Internet retailing is growing fast
Slower but still positive performance expected to in the forecast
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
The economic recovery enhances premiumisation
The integration of pets into French society is deepening
Internet retailing develops in line with other industries
- Table 18 Pet Populations 2011-2016
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2011-2016
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2011-2016
- Table 21 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2011-2016
- Table 22 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2011-2016
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 26 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 27 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 28 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2011-2016
- Table 29 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2016
- Table 30 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2011-2016
- Table 31 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2016
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2016-2021
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2016-2021
- Table 34 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2016-2021
- Table 35 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2016-2021
- Summary 11 Research Sources