- 2014 should witness the acceleration of the emulation/synergy between brands available in modern grocery retailers and those present in pet specialist channels in dog food. As in 2012/2013, inspired by the breakthrough of products with more precise lifestyle and breed segmentation and healthier ingredients in specialist channels, Purina ONE and Affinity should launch similar novelties for puppies, seniors or for smaller dogs in mass distribution. Meanwhile, the most surprising event should be the focus by Royal Canin, Purina Pro Plan and Hill’s on premium wet dog food in specialist stores, whilst such products were the preserve of premium brands available in supermarkets and hypermarkets a few years ago.
- At first sight, the competitive landscape in dog food in France in 2014 is likely to remain similar to 2013, and there should not be any significant changes from previous years in terms of value share. Even so, the positioning of Purina Pro Plan, Royal Canin and other premium products in pet specialist retailers should gradually change. Whilst maintaining their health and wellness and nutritional specificity, they should increasingly adopt for some of their novelties similar arguments related to taste, pleasure and emotion to premium or even mid-priced brands in grocery retailers. This was exemplified by the launch of Delice Duo Pro Plan by Nestlé Purina PetCare in 2013.
- In spite of the waning dog population and greater maturity than cat food, dog food is likely to bring a few surprises and dynamic trends in the short term. First, manufacturers should focus on the promising segment of small breeds, both in grocery retailers and pet specialist stores. Then, although dry dog food will continue to drive sales in most channels, sales of premium wet food are likely to take off in pet specialist retailers, which are dedicating much more space to such products. Pet specialist channels historically favoured dry food due to the recommendations of mainstream manufacturers such as Royal Canin, and as a reaction to the previous focus by grocery retailers on wet food. Since manufacturers have begun to slightly change their tune, chained superstores and garden centres are expected to concentrate on making up for their delay in wet food.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in France - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Table 2 Dog Population 2009-2014
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2014
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Dog Food in France - Company Profiles
Mars Petcare & Food France in Pet Care (France)
- Summary 2 Mars Petcare & Food France: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Mars Petcare & Food France: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Mars Petcare & Food France: Competitive Position 2013
Nestlé Purina PetCare France SAS in Pet Care (France)
- Summary 5 Nestlé Purina PetCare France SAS: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Nestlé Purina PetCare France SAS: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Nestlé Purina PetCare France SAS: Competitive Position 2013
Vitakraft SA in Pet Care (France)
- Summary 8 Vitakraft SA: Key Facts
COMPANY BACKGROUND & PRODUCTION
- Summary 9 Vitakraft SA: Competitive Position 2013
Pet Care in France - Industry Context
Local sluggish economic context has little effect on pet care
More emotion in a market that is tending to become extremely technical
Multinationals strengthen their lead
Specialists gain ground despite the dominance of grocery retailers
Continuing growth is likely, but not for all pets and products
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Local economy only affects part of the pet care market
Cat food to remain the big winner of sociodemographic changes
Humanisation: pets also need more balanced, convenient and suitable products
Growing similarities between grocery retailers, pet specialist retailers and their respective brands
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2009-2014
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 10 Research Sources