- Volume and current value growth rates for dog food in 2012 were both slower than those recorded in 2011. The slowdown in total volume sales growth was particularly sharp. This was mainly due to the growing preference of Israelis for smaller breeds, which eat less than large dogs. Additionally, it is likely that volume growth was restrained as price hikes and a slowdown in the Israeli economy led some owners to buy dog food products less frequently and supplement their pets’ diets with table scraps in order to save money. Nonetheless, volume growth remained reasonably robust overall as the total number of pet dogs in Israel continued to rise. Growth in dog food current value sales meanwhile was bolstered as the pet humanisation trend and better education about dog health and nutrition among owners strengthened demand for premium and super-premium products. New launches, improvements in distribution, price promotions and other marketing activities also helped to sustain the positive development of dog food as a whole.
- Nestlé Purina remained the overall leader in dog food in 2012 with a value share of just over 21%. Offering a broad assortment of product types and flavour variants under its heavily promoted and widely distributed Purina and Dogli brands, the company ranked first in dry dog food and claimed fourth place in wet dog food. It was also the third leading company in the dog treats category. Bio Pet finished a close second overall, claiming a total value share of slightly less than 21% with an extensive portfolio that includes well established and competitively priced brands such as Bonzo, Nutro Choice, Bento, Vitakraft, Kira and Schesir. Bio Pet held the top position in wet dog food, and ranked second in dry dog food. It was also the clear leader in dog treats. Other prominent competitors in dog food in 2012 included Vet-Magen for Pets (1997) Ltd, Beit Erez Havat Milatin Ltd, Zu Erets Zu Ltd, CTS Ltd, Moshe Sides & Son Ltd, Maya (DN) Marketing & Distribution Ltd and Shufersal.
- The outlook for dog food is broadly positive, with steady growth in total volume and constant value sales projected over the forecast period. Growth in the total number of pet dogs in Israel will underpin the development of the entire category. At the same time, economic improvements and the pet humanisation trend will continue to bolster consumer spending on dog food. Growth in total volume sales is expected to be slower than that recorded during the review period, partly due to increasing maturity but also because of the increasing preference for smaller dog breeds, which eat less. Conversely, dog food constant value sales are expected to grow at a faster pace than they did over 2008-2013. While this will be partly due to price hikes arising from inflationary pressures, constant value growth will also be bolstered as the pet humanisation trend continues to encourage owners to trade up to higher quality and more expensive products, including premium and super-premium variants that offer optimal nutritional benefits for different breeds and dogs at different life stages.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in Israel with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in Israel, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in Israel market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in Israel?
- What are the major brands in Israel?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in Israel - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2008-2013
- Table 2 Dog Population 2008-2013
- Table 3 Consumption of Prepared Dog Food: % Analysis 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2013
Dog Food in Israel - Company Profiles
Pet Buy Ltd in Pet Care (Israel)
- Summary 2 Pet Buy Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Pet Buy Ltd : Operational Indicators 2011-2012
- Summary 4 Pet Buy Ltd : Competitive Position 2012
Shufersal Ltd in Pet Care (Israel)
- Summary 5 Shufersal Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Shufersal Ltd: Operational Indicators 2011-2012
- Summary 7 Shufersal Ltd: Competitive Position 2012
Pet Care in Israel - Industry Context
Rising pet ownership and pet humanisation trend drive market development
Pet humanisation trend continues to support premiumisation in pet food
Bio-Pet strengthens its leading position in Israeli pet care
Pet shops and pet superstores gain ground in pet care distribution
Market development will slow towards 2018 but remain robust overall
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Premiumisation trend continues in 2012
Pet humanisation trend drives segmentation and innovation in pet care
Higher quality private label products gain popularity in dog and cat food
Specialist channels continue to gain ground in pet care distribution
Health and wellness trend increasingly influential in pet care
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2008-2012
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2009-2012
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2006-2011
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2012
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 8 Research Sources