- NRT smoking cessation aids experienced a significant change in 2013. NRT gum, usually the growth driver in the category (until 2010 at least) took a strong back seat in 2013, whilst NRT patches, a mature format for many years, recovered from 2011. It even posted double-digit growth of 11% in current value terms in 2013. NRT gum previously enjoyed “modulable” status (adjustable, convenient formats, including gum, lozenges and tabs). Available in different dosages and in an increasingly wide range of flavours, this format is faster acting and calming than patches, which met the demand for more convenient consumer health products. However, during the last couple of years, the winning role and convenient positioning of NRT gum were threatened.
- The explosion of sales of NRT patches at the expense of NRT gum also shuffled the cards in terms of the competitive environment in 2013. Glaxo Wellcome Belgium, which lost its leadership prior to the review period, regained the leading position in 2013. Whilst it paid for the disaffection for NRT patches during the early part of the review period and its absence in the winning NRT gum category in Belgium, it enjoyed the return to grace of the former format from 2011.
- The main uncertainty in terms of the scope for development in NRT smoking cessation aids is the impact of e-cigarettes. The local Foundation Against Cancer is worrying about this phenomenon, which is considered dangerous by many studies and specialists. The number of official smokers continues to slightly decline in Belgium. 20% of the adult population smoked in 2013 (compared with 24% in 2010), and six in 10 of them declared that they wanted to quit in 2013. However, the number of e-smokers continues to take off: 50,000 opted for this concept in 2012, which is equal to 3% of the number of smokers. The percentage was negligible in 2011. Although the Belgian government banned e-cigarettes in public areas, it deferred reacting to the distribution and the price of e-cigarettes, which should enable the recruitment of new consumers.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Market Research Report
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Belgium with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Belgium, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium?
- What are the major brands in Belgium?
- How have tobacco bans affected the sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Number of Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of NRT Gum by Flavour: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 7 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium - Company Profiles
Janssen-Cilag NV in Consumer Health (Belgium)
- Summary 1 Janssen-Cilag NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 2 Janssen-Cilag SA: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 3 Janssen-Cilag SA: Competitive Position 2013
Consumer Health in Belgium - Industry Context
Unexpected respite in 2013
EFSA regulation is more frightening than actually causing harm...for the moment
Belgian players often fare better than multinationals
No changes in distribution: still under the control of chemists/pharmacies
Mixed picture for consumer health
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Unfavourable economic context slightly weighs on consumer health
EFSA adds another layer of constraints, but does not kill the non-OTC market
Related markets still influence some categories
Belgium remains a puzzle for many multinationals
- Table 9 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2008-2013
- Table 10 Life Expectancy at Birth 2008-2013
- Table 11 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 12 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 13 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 14 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 15 Penetration of Private Label in Consumer Health by Category: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 17 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventative medicine
- Summary 4 OTC: Switches 2011-2013
- Summary 5 Research Sources