- The main story in 2014 was the unexpected decline of e-cigarettes in the country. E-cigarettes enjoyed a promising start in 2012/2013, cannibalising sales of NRT gum at the end of 2012 and during the first half of 2013. NRT gum has ‘modular’ status, being available in different dosages and in an increasingly wide range of flavours. This format is also faster acting than patches, thus meeting demand for more convenient products. This positioning of NRT gum was threatened by e-cigarettes, which were initially considered by many smokers as an intermediary step before quitting smoking altogether.
- The competitive environment experienced a further change between its leading players in 2014. Janssen-Cilag (GBO Johnson & Johnson) regained the leading position it lost in 2013. In 2013, GlaxoSmithKline, after years of mixed results, gained the leading position. Whilst it paid for the disaffection with NRT patches during the early part of the review period and its absence from the leading NRT gum category in Belgium, it enjoyed the return to grace of the former format from 2011. However, the strong recovery of NRT gum at the expense of NRT patches reversed the trend in 2014 and acted in favour of the main specialist in this modular format, Janssen-Cilag and its Nicorette brand.
- Once again, the impact of e-cigarettes should remain the main story in the short term in NRT smoking cessation aids. This concept never really took off in Belgium due to the restricted distribution of such products to chemists/pharmacies and tough control from local authorities – at the end of 2014, most e-cigarette brands were still not authorised for sale, with most coming from neighbouring countries. Things should change in 2016, however, when Belgian smoking legislation will have to be aligned with European recommendations. This means that e-cigarettes should be available in outlets other than chemists/pharmacies and thus could once again jeopardise sales of NRT smoking cessation aids.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Market Research Report
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Belgium with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Belgium, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium?
- What are the major brands in Belgium?
- How have tobacco bans affected the sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Number of Smokers by Gender 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of NRT Gum by Flavour: % Value Breakdown 2009-2014
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 7 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Belgium - Company Profiles
Janssen-Cilag NV in Consumer Health (Belgium)
- Summary 1 Janssen-Cilag NV: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Janssen-Cilag NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Janssen-Cilag NV: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 4 Janssen-Cilag NV: Competitive Position 2014
Consumer Health in Belgium - Industry Context
Market registers a decline in 2014 for the first time in the review period
OTC suffers a decline while non-OTC products do well
Belgian operators fare much better than multinationals
Distribution remains strongly regulated
Mixed prospects overall for consumer health
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Weather impacts consumer health more than the local economy
Unexpected outcome from new European and local legislation
Belgian players are more accustomed to local constraints
- Table 9 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2009-2014
- Table 10 Life Expectancy at Birth 2009-2014
- Table 11 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 12 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 13 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 14 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 15 Penetration of Private Label in Consumer Health by Category: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 16 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 17 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventive medicine
- Summary 5 OTC: Switches 2012-2014
- Summary 6 Research Sources