- Every year in January, specific tax rates on tobacco are adjusted for movements in the Consumer Price Index (CPI). Furthermore, in early 2010, the New Zealand government swiftly introduced a raft of new laws regarding increases in tobacco excise taxes between 2010 and 2012. This resulted in an increase in the specific tax rate on tobacco on 29 April 2010, 1 January 2011 and 1 January 2012 in addition to CPI adjustments. Hence, the specific tax rate for cigarettes (not exceeding 0.8kg of tobacco content) was NZ$345.87 per 1,000 cigarettes in April 2010. In January 2011, this rate was increased to NZ$380.46 and in January 2012 this rate rose to NZ$442.10. During late 2012, the New Zealand government announced its intention to continue this campaign between 2013 and 2016.
- Johnson & Johnson Pacific (NZ) Ltd led NRT smoking cessation aids during 2013, with value share of 68%. The company distributes the popular Nicorette brand within New Zealand, which includes gum, patches, inhalators, microtabs and the new Nicorette Quickmist Mouth Spray (other NRT), which was launched in New Zealand during 2013. The company holds a monopoly within inhalators and other NRT, while Nicorette NRT gum can be purchased in grocery retailers, such as Countdown and Pak’nSave. The company’s value sales increased by 5% in 2013 to reach NZ$12 million, in part due to the new product launch.
- The New Zealand government has made a commitment to become smoke-free by 2025. Consequently, smoking in New Zealand is becoming increasingly taboo, with consumers facing rising excise taxes and retail display bans to curb smoking behaviour. As a result, the total number of smokers is expected to drop from 622,710 in 2013 to 599,050 in 2017. The renewed commitment by the New Zealand government to continue tobacco excise tax increases is also expected to boost sales for NRT smoking cessation aids during the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Market Research Report
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in New Zealand with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in New Zealand, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in New Zealand market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in New Zealand?
- What are the major brands in New Zealand?
- How have tobacco bans affected the sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in New Zealand - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Number of Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of NRT Gum by Flavour: % Value Breakdown 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 7 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Consumer Health in New Zealand - Industry Context
Growth in consumer health remains positive as consumer confidence grows
Health and wellness remains a major priority for New Zealanders in 2013
Vitaco Health Ltd maintains its leading position in 2013
Supermarkets and internet retailing grow in importance in 2013
Modest forecast value growth expected for consumer health in New Zealand
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Consumer confidence boosts consumer health in 2013
New Zealand’s ageing population impacts positively on vitamins and dietary supplements
The New Zealand government continues to crack down on tobacco consumption
Health and wellness trends continue to drive consumer purchasing behaviour in 2013
- Table 9 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2008-2013
- Table 10 Life Expectancy at Birth 2008-2013
- Table 11 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 12 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 13 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 14 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 15 Penetration of Private Label in Consumer Health by Category: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 16 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 17 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 19 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventative medicine
- Summary 1 OTC: Switches 2011-2013
- Summary 2 Research Sources