- The Uruguayan government has instituted strict measures on tobacco: ban to smoke in all public places, including restaurants, bars and clubs, full ban on advertising and promotions, health warnings covering 80% of the packs surface and one type of cigarette per brand. These measures have proven effective and the total number of smokers declined sharply by 20% between 2005, when the first measures were applied, and 2012. The government also sponsored smoking cessation clinics, with low-cost treatments which in many cases include the supply of NRT smoking cessation aids either free of charge or for a token value, which in turn has impacted adversely on OTC sales of these products.
- There were only two companies selling NRT smoking cessation aids in 2012 and the unit price differential between the more expensive patches and gum continued to favour Gramon Bagó de Uruguay SA that led value sales with 56% share. Laboratorios Haymann SA held the remaining 44% value share.
- The anti-tobacco measures are expected to remain in full force during the forecast period, although probably with less media coverage than in the recent past, until the hearings of Philip Morris International (PMI) demand against the Uruguayan government begins. (PMI through Abal Hnos SA opposed governmental regulatory decrees and law # 18256 from the very beginning and interposed several unsuccessful appeals. In 2010 requested international arbitration from the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, claiming that the government measures violate the company’s intellectual property rights. The company closed down its manufacturing plant in mid-October 2011 with the arguments that “The widespread availability and presence of illegal products on the market, combined with reduced demand and regulatory and fiscal measures that limit the ability to market our products profitably, have meant that the operation of our plant is no longer viable”).Whatever the outcome and regardless of the timing, the government’s support for smoking cessation clinics will not be affected and maintain the adverse impact on NRT cessation aids throughout the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Market Research Report
Sample NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Uruguay with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the NRT Smoking Cessation Aids industry in Uruguay, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Uruguay market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Uruguay?
- What are the major brands in Uruguay?
- How have tobacco bans affected the sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
NRT Smoking Cessation Aids in Uruguay - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Number of Smokers by Gender 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 NRT Gum Flavours: % Value Breakdown 2007-2012
- Table 5 NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Company Shares 2008-2012
- Table 6 NRT Smoking Cessation Aids Brand Shares 2009-2012
- Table 7 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of NRT Smoking Cessation Aids by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Consumer Health in Uruguay - Industry Context
Value sales improve the pace
Abortion decriminalised in 2012
Double-digit shares remain out of reach
No changes in distribution
Sustained growth rates in the future
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Economic growth begins to slow down
A small and ageing population
Obesity and overweight on the rise
Merging of small neighbourhood pharmacies, a key to survival
- Table 9 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services 2007-2012
- Table 10 Life Expectancy at Birth 2007-2012
- Table 11 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 12 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 13 Consumer Health Company Shares 2008-2012
- Table 14 Consumer Health Brand Shares 2009-2012
- Table 15 Sales of Consumer Health by Distribution Format: % Analysis 2007-2012
- Table 16 Sales of Consumer Health by Category and Distribution Format: % Analysis 2012
- Table 17 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 18 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventative medicine
- Summary 1 Research Sources