- In 2015, ready meals grew by 2% in current value terms to reach sales of C$4.8 billion. The category benefited from slowly improving consumer perception of ready meals. Traditionally, homemade food has been preferred by Canadian families, with ready meals viewed as unhealthy and low quality offerings. Meanwhile, the ongoing health and wellness trend has also served to boost home cooking. However, a strong focus on careers has led to increasingly busy lifestyles for both singles and couples, as well as parents with children. This has served to increase the social acceptance of ready meals. As a result, the category recorded stable current value growth throughout the review period.
- Nestlé Canada Inc remained the leading player in ready meals in 2015 with a 19% value share thanks to its strength in frozen ready meals and pizza. In 2015, Nestlé held a 43% value share in frozen pizza thanks to the popularity of its leading brand Delissio. Nestlé also accounted for a 25% value share in frozen ready meals via its Stouffer’s brand. In 2015, the company launched Stouffer’s Fit Kitchen. This new line offers six protein-packed meal options in different flavours such as turkey, steak, etc and featuring whole food ingredients.
- Over the forecast period ready meals is expected to post a value CAGR of 1% at constant 2015 prices to reach sales of C$5 billion by 2020. This moderate performance will be hampered by increasing maturity, although demand for certain product types will also be limited by the healthy eating trend. Nonetheless, strong consumer appreciation of the convenience of ready meals will ensure that retail volume sales remain reasonably stable. Retail volume sales will also be sustained by new product developments. In particular, several categories are likely to benefit from the launch of health-oriented products which are low in fat and salt, gluten-free or made from locally-sourced and organic ingredients. Value-added products will further strengthen the value growth of ready meals.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Ready meals Market Research Report
Sample Ready meals Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Ready meals industry in Canada with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Ready meals industry in Canada, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Ready meals in Canada market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Ready meals in Canada?
- What are the major brands in Canada?
- Will retail sales suffer as economic prospects improve and consumers move back to eating out rather than eating at home?
- How are manufacturers leveraging popular restaurant chains to help more austere consumers recreate a restaurant experience at home?
- How much are consumers willing to pay for convenience?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Ready Meals in Canada - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Chilled Ready Meals by Ethnicity: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Frozen Ready Meals by Ethnicity: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Ready Meals: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Ready Meals: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 9 Distribution of Ready Meals by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Ready Meals in Canada - Company Profiles
Maple Leaf Foods Inc in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Summary 1 Maple Leaf Foods Inc: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Maple Leaf Foods Inc: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Maple Leaf Foods Inc: Competitive Position 2015
Sobeys Inc in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Summary 4 Sobeys Inc: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Sobeys Inc: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 Sobeys Inc: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 7 Sobeys Inc: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in Canada - Industry Context
Despite a modest sales performance interesting trends bring growth
Bipolarization intensifies the product offer
The demand for artisanal and speciality products supports small brands
Hypermarkets and discounters remain strong in packaged food
Modest growth is expected in the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Busy lifestyles and the snacking trend impact a wide range of categories
Bipolarization intensifies product positioning and consumer choice
Growing health consciousness impacts packaged food in multiple ways
Ethnically diverse products contribute to product innovation and category growth
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 15 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 17 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 22 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources