- Towards the end of the review period, the leading manufacturers of ready meals in France managed to progressively overcome the crisis which followed the horsemeat contamination scandal in 2013, resulting in a stabilisation of volume sales in 2015. However, a genuine and lasting recovery remains elusive due to the persistent declines in some categories such as frozen ready meals and shelf stable ready meals. The epicentre of the horsemeat contamination scandal that emerged in 2013 was ready meals, more precisely frozen ready meals, which dropped by 10% in current value terms in 2013 and receded by a further 3% in each of 2014 and 2015. Shelf stable ready meals was also indirectly impacted by the horsemeat contamination scandal during 2013 and 2014, with current value sales in the category receding by 1% in 2015 due to the outdated image of these products and their reputation for being unnatural. Finally, the challenging economic situation and the fad for home cooking urged a growing number of French consumers to prepare meals from scratch using raw and fresh ingredients, often with the use of culinary aids such as chilled processed vegetables, chilled processed meat and chilled processed seafood.
- Fleury Michon Groupe was the only player with a double-digit value share in the fragmented competitive environment in ready meals during 2015. The French company continues to benefit from its strong position in chilled processed meat, its success in prepared salads, mainly products sold through caterers, and the offering of single-portion microwaveable dishes of traditional French and ethnic meals. Fleury Michon Groupe’s huge offering within chilled ready meals and prepared salads includes Les Cassolettes, Les Pâtes Cuisinées, Les Poissons, Les Plats Cuisinés signés Joël Robuchon, La Gastronomie d'Aujourd'hui, Les Viandes et Volailles, Les 5 Essentiels, L'Esprit frais! Les Gratins, Italie, Les Plats Cuisinés Bio, Les Ethniques, Cuisine Bien-Etre, Sur le Pouce, Les Exotiques and Vraiment. After being indirectly negatively impacted by the effects of the horsemeat contamination scandal, it enjoyed a much better fate from the middle of 2014 thanks to its ongoing diversification toward all successful segments in chilled ready meals and prepared salads, often at the expense of private label products.
- One great challenge ready meals in France during the forecast period is likely to be the competition it faces from the consumer foodservice industry, specifically the fad for food trucks which continues to spread in France at a time when independent full service restaurants are beginning to fare better than chained consumer foodservice operators. To meet demand for higher quality and more affordable prices in ready meals, paradoxically, the solution is likely to be to draw on the benefits enjoyed by operators in the consumer foodservice industry as the famous Sodebo Pasta Box, which resembles cartons of Chinese noodles, already did at the beginning of the review period. Recently launched products such as BBQ Boxes from Fleury Michon, after the success of Ball-In-Box from the same player, slices of chilled pizza, increasingly sophisticated chilled packaged sushi and generous and upmarket chilled salad-based meals should be developed further during the forecast period.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Ready meals Market Research Report
Sample Ready meals Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Ready meals industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Ready meals industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Ready meals in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Ready meals in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- Will retail sales suffer as economic prospects improve and consumers move back to eating out rather than eating at home?
- How are manufacturers leveraging popular restaurant chains to help more austere consumers recreate a restaurant experience at home?
- How much are consumers willing to pay for convenience?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Ready Meals in France - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Chilled Ready Meals by Ethnicity: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Frozen Ready Meals by Ethnicity: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Ready Meals: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Ready Meals: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 9 Distribution of Ready Meals by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Ready Meals by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Ready Meals in France - Company Profiles
Carrefour SA in Packaged Food (France)
- Summary 1 Carrefour SA: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Carrefour SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Carrefour SA: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 Carrefour SA: Competitive Position 2015
Fleury Michon, Groupe in Packaged Food (France)
- Summary 5 Groupe Fleury Michon: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Groupe Fleury Michon: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Groupe Fleury Michon: Competitive Position 2015
Nestle France SA in Packaged Food (France)
- Summary 8 Nestlé France SA: Key Facts
- Summary 9 Nestlé France SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 10 Nestlé France SA: Competitive Position 2015
Sodebo SA in Packaged Food (France)
- Summary 11 Sodebo SA: Key Facts
- Summary 12 Sodebo SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 13 Sodebo SA: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in France - Industry Context
Price war undermines the fragile recovery of packaged food
“Let food be your medicine”, especially when it is cooked at home
More favourable environment for branded products
Supermarkets and hypermarkets lead the way, despite price erosion
Slight improvement anticipated in the medium term
Key Trends and Developments
The absence of real economic recovery puts pressure on prices and packaged food
Home consumption increasingly mirrors trends from consumer foodservice
French consumers want better control of what they eat
Ongoing consolidation in retailing and amongst manufacturers
Foodservice: Key Trends and Developments
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 15 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 17 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 22 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 14 Research Sources