- Smoking tobacco had a mixed performance in Belgium in 2013, with accelerating volume growth for RYO tobacco contrasting with the shrinking sales of pipe tobacco. Pipe smoking is popular among older consumers in Belgium, while RYO tobacco used to be the domain of a poorer consumer base. Belgium has always been more of a cigarette smoking country. However, since the economic crisis, RYO tobacco has been gaining momentum as consumers have sought cheaper alternatives to cigarettes. Consuming RYO tobacco is no longer a question of social class.
- British American Tobacco led the category in 2013 with a 54% volume share. The company strengthened its position in 2013, registering strong growth in volume sales. This was mainly the result of a focus on RYO and MYO brands. In this sense, there was a clear trade-off for British American Tobacco. The company anticipated a poor year for cigarettes and so invested in its smoking tobacco brands. Since 2012, the company has launched new products (most notably additive-free brands such as Lucky Strike and MYO brands), redesigned the Ajja brand (since 2013 under the Lucky Strike brand) and pushed Pall Mall, which in 2013 became one of the top five brands in the Belgian market.
- Driven by the success of additive-free and volume (MYO) tobacco, smoking tobacco is set to post a positive performance over the forecast period, registering a volume CAGR of 4%. The forthcoming updated European directive on tobacco is expected to have a more significant impact on cigarettes than on smoking tobacco. However, strong criticism led by bodies such as CRIOC and Fondation Contre le Cancer could also result in stricter fiscal measures on smoking tobacco. In fact, to date, smoking tobacco has been exempt from excise duty rises and so bodies such as the above are advocating equal treatment for cigarettes and smoking tobacco so as to help drive a decline in consumption.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Belgium with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Belgium, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Belgium market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Belgium?
- What are the major brands in Belgium?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Belgium - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Smoking Tobacco in Belgium - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco Belgium SA in Tobacco (Belgium)
- Summary 1 British American Tobacco Belgium SA: Key Facts
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco Belgium SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco Belgium SA: Competitive Position 2013
Imperial Tobacco Belgium in Tobacco (Belgium)
- Summary 4 Imperial Tobacco Belgium: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Imperial Tobacco Belgium: Competitive Position 2013
Philip Morris Belgium BVBA in Tobacco (Belgium)
- Summary 6 Philip Morris Belgium BVBA: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Philip Morris Belgium BVBA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 8 Philip Morris Belgium BVBA: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in Belgium - Industry Context
Tobacco industry suffers further woes in 2013 as cigarette volumes decline
Smoking tobacco benefits from cigarette price increases
Big four multinationals dominate the market
Tobacco specialists lose share
A difficult future ahead
- Summary 9 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 17 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 18 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 19 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 10 Research Sources