- Smoking tobacco remained by far the smallest and most underdeveloped of the three main tobacco categories in Colombia in 2013. It was dominated by pipe tobacco, with demand for RYO tobacco products remaining negligible. Due to the relatively low cost of machine-manufactured cigarettes, there is no real tradition of RYO tobacco consumption in the country. Pipe tobacco meanwhile is a niche category that primarily appeals to a small base of older male consumers. While water pipe (hookah) smoking did gain popularity among some younger Colombians during the review period, any benefit that this trend had in terms of bolstering demand for pipe tobacco products was dampened by the ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.
- Swedish Match was the leading company in smoking tobacco in 2013 with a retail volume share of 19%, followed by BAT with a 16% share. Both companies import products (mainly pipe tobacco) from abroad and distribute them to retailers across Colombia.
- Growth in retail volume sales of smoking tobacco over the forecast period is expected to be much slower than that recorded during the review period, as is value sales growth at constant 2013 prices. This is mainly because the category relies on a niche base of older male smokers who are not being replaced by new ones. Pipe tobacco will remain the dominant product type, with consumption of RYO tobacco expected to remain negligible due to the relatively low cost of machine-manufactured cigarettes in Colombia.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Colombia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Colombia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Colombia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Colombia?
- What are the major brands in Colombia?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Colombia - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Tobacco in Colombia - Industry Context
Health concerns, legal restrictions and illicit trade hamper market development
Illicit trade in cigarettes increases as criminal gangs expand
Low tar category bucks the downward trend in cigarettes
No major changes in a highly concentrated competitive environment
Slow decline in tobacco consumption set to continue
- Summary 1 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 12 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 13 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 14 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 15 Trade Statistics – Tobacco Leaf 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 16 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 17 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 18 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 19 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 2 Research Sources