- Iranian water pipes (ghalioun) are traditionally popular in the country, dating back to Safavid and Ghajar times. Initially, plain tobacco leaves were used. Traditionally, people soaked the leaves and prepared them for smoking. Ghalioun tobacco was a very important product during the 19th century and even was used as a way to show protest against the Shah known as “Tobacco Protest.” This protest was a Shi’a cleric-led revolt in Iran against an 1890 tobacco concession granted by the Shah to the Western imperial power of Great Britain. The protest climaxed in a widely obeyed December 1891 fatwa against tobacco use supposedly issued by Grand Ayatollah Mirza Hassan Shirazi. The boycott was one of the first times the Iranian religious elite succeeded in forcing the government to retreat from a policy, and was seen as a demonstration that “the Sh’ia ulama were Iran's first line of defence” against colonialism.
- Milad Distribution as national brand owner of Al Nakhla brand remained a strong leader in smoking tobacco, accounting for 40% of volume sales in 2012. Al Nakhla is a very well-known brand for its quality in moassal tobacco. This product, which is imported from Egypt, is distributed all across the country and is present in both traditional cafes and homes. It has a wide range of products in different flavours and this diversity had a very positive impact on its sales in Iran.
- In spite of concerted efforts from the Ministry of Health and Medical Education (MOHME) to limit and ban water pipes in Iran, growth in sales of smoking tobacco is expected over the forecast period. However, the expected 9% volume CAGR will be much lower than review period volume CAGR of 23%. This is mainly due to the fact that smoking tobacco is reaching maturity and also widespread advertisements regarding negative effects of pipe tobacco on health, which will hamper growth as well.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Iran with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Iran, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Iran market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Iran?
- What are the major brands in Iran?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Iran - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2010-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 8 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Smoking Tobacco in Iran - Company Profiles
Iranian Tobacco Co in Tobacco (Iran)
- Summary 1 Iranian Tobacco Co: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Iranian Tobacco Co: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in Iran - Industry Context
Sudden decline of illicit trade in cigarettes leads to significant increase in retail volume in spite of surge in unit price
Taxes for cigarettes almost halved
In spite of their monopoly in the cigarette market multinational suppliers play a more important role
Demographic changes in smoking prevalence can be spotted
Future outlook for cigarettes greatly depends on how illicit trade performs during the forecast period
- Summary 3 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low-ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 12 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 13 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 14 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 15 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 16 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 17 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 18 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 19 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 4 Research Sources