- In Norway, RYO tobacco was actually the preferred tobacco from the 1960s all the way to the late-90s, when cigarettes captured the smoking throne. In 1974-75, per capita consumption was 1.3kg; about 10 times that of 2013. As late as 1999, Norway had the third highest consumption in Western Europe with more than 0.5kg per capita. Norway was actually one of the few countries were RYO got so popular, which was related to a lower tax rate than machine-fabricated cigarettes, which actually lasted to 2004; the solace tobacco for the Norwegian working class. The standardisation of excise taxes in 2004 across all the different smoking tobacco types, combined with prohibition of smoking in on-trade facilities, which was implemented in 2004, broke the back of RYO smoking and volume sales dropped by 35% from 2003 to 2004. The excise tax increase of nearly 50% in 2004 made smokers migrate to cigarettes and snus or made them smoke less.
- The mains players on the Norwegian market were Philip Morris Norway AS and British American Tobacco Norway AS with volume shares of 71% and 16%, respectively, with the latter acting as the marketing agent for Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S.
- It is expected that pipe tobacco will see a moderate volume CAGR of 1% over the forecast period. Euromonitor International does not expect a heavy influx of new pipe tobacco enthusiasts to this category; as smoking is still considered to be a moral flaw. However, a handful of people are expected to be attracted to this category during the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Norway with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Norway, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Norway market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Norway?
- What are the major brands in Norway?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Norway - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking tobacco: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Smoking Tobacco in Norway - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco Norway AS in Tobacco (Norway)
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco Norway AS Key Facts
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco Norway AS Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 British American Tobacco Norway AS: Competitive Position 2013
Imperial Tobacco Norway AS in Tobacco (Norway)
- Summary 5 Imperial Tobacco Norway AS Key Facts
- Summary 6 Imperial Tobacco Norway AS Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Imperial Tobacco Norway AS: Competitive Position 2013
Philip Morris Norway AS in Tobacco (Norway)
- Summary 8 Philip Morris Norway AS Key Facts
- Summary 9 Philip Morris Norway AS Operational Indicators
- Summary 10 Philip Morris Norway AS Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in Norway - Industry Context
Small increase in current value sales
The new battlefield within snus is hidden under the lip
The small cult of pipe tobacco smokers
Electronic cigarettes – not legalised, but legal..?
Gloomy outlook for tobacco products
- Summary 11 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – Cigarettes*-Smoking Tobacco and Cigars
- Table 18 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013 – Smokeless Tobacco
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 19 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 20 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 21 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 25 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 12 Research Sources