- There are distinct differences between the typical consumers of RYO tobacco and pipe tobacco. RYO tobacco was traditionally most popular among low-income men and young adults in Portugal, due to its low cost. However, some smokers prefer the flavour of RYO tobacco to cigarettes and view these products as more natural due to containing fewer chemicals. During the review period, the consumer base for RYO tobacco meanwhile widened, with some switching from cigarettes to RYO tobacco due to its lower price. Some new smokers indeed started with RYO tobacco due to its low price. There are meanwhile considerably fewer pipe tobacco smokers, with these usually being older male smokers. Smoking a pipe is generally considered old-fashioned, with pipe tobacco thus struggling to attract new consumers in Portugal.
- Tabaqueira is the clear leader in smoking tobacco and accounted for close to 33% volume share in 2014. This company benefits from the strength of its Chesterfield and Marlboro brands, with these cigarette brand extensions offering mid-priced and premium RYO tobacco respectively. These brands were only introduced in 2011 but swiftly gained share, thanks to the perception of these brands as offering high quality.
- RYO tobacco is expected to be hit hard by new legislation and taxation in the forecast period. A minimum tax level of 13.5 cents/gram will be introduced by the Portuguese government in 2015, with this resulting in around 14% increase. This will remove the price advantage that RYO tobacco offers over cigarettes and is expected to result in overall volume decline of 7% for smoking tobacco in the forecast period, in contrast to the strong 108% growth seen during the review period. Smoking tobacco will however continue to see considerably stronger sales in 2019 than in 2009, with RYO tobacco having moved further into the mainstream and attracted a considerably wider consumer base over these years.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Portugal with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Portugal, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Portugal market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Portugal?
- What are the major brands in Portugal?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Portugal - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking Tobacco: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Smoking Tobacco in Portugal - Company Profiles
Imperial Tobacco Group Plc in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 2 Imperial Tobacco Group Plc: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Imperial Tobacco Group Plc: Competitive Position 2014
Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 4 Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda: Competitive Position 2014
Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 6 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 8 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in Portugal - Industry Context
Rising taxes have heavy impact on sales
Vapour devices soar thanks to widening awareness and availability
Tabaqueira further extends dominance
Consumers prioritise convenience when buying tobacco
Slight forecast period value growth mainly due to further tax increases
- Summary 9 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Portuguese national legislation
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 19 Trade Statistics: Cigarettes 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 10 Research Sources