- RYO tobacco is traditionally popular among male smokers from lower-income groups. Usually, smokers choose RYO tobacco because of its taste, as well as the fact that it is perceived as more natural than cigarettes as it contains fewer chemicals. However, in recent years, the profile of RYO tobacco smokers has changed as the Portuguese market has seen new consumers enter, including those who have switched from cigarettes to RYO tobacco due to lower prices. Furthermore, some new young smokers tend to go directly to RYO tobacco due to its low price. Consumers of pipe tobacco are usually male smokers from older generations. As the habit is generally considered old-fashioned, pipe tobacco is struggling to recruit new consumers in Portugal.
- Tabaqueira SA remained the largest manufacturer in smoking tobacco in 2013, holding a strong volume share of 35% thanks to its two flagship brands, Chesterfield and Marlboro. Chesterfield and Marlboro only entered the category in 2011 but have already become two of the top three brands in smoking tobacco. Japan Tabaco International Portugal Lda ranked second in 2013 with a volume share of 17%, mainly thanks to its recently launched Utah brand.
- Over the forecast period smoking tobacco is anticipated a CAGR decline of 1% in volume terms. Various factors such as an increase in taxation and greater awareness of health issues are expected to negatively impact volume sales. However, the category’s volume decline will be noticeably slower than that seen in 2013.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Portugal with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Portugal, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Portugal market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Portugal?
- What are the major brands in Portugal?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Portugal - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking Tobacco: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Smoking Tobacco in Portugal - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco Portugal in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco Portugal: Key Facts
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco Portugal: Competitive Position 2013
Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 4 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in Portugal - Industry Context
Austerity and stagnation characterise the Portuguese tobacco market
Illicit trade becomes an alternative solution to expensive cigarettes
More stable competitive environment in 2013 compared to the previous year
Newsagent-tobacconists/kiosks and tobacco specialists the only two important retail channels
A gloomy future forecast for tobacco in Portugal
- Summary 7 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 14 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 15 Taxation and Duty Levies for Cigarettes 2008-2013
- Table 16 Taxation and Duty Levies for Cigars and Cigarillos 2010-2013
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies for RYO tobacco 2010-2013
- Table 18 Taxation and Duty Levies for Pipe tobacco 2010-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 19 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 8 Research Sources