- Overall volume sales of smoking tobacco grew by 8% in 2012, due to increasing demand from both loyal consumers of RYO tobacco and cigarette smokers who have migrated to RYO tobacco to save money. This migration has been supported by the fact that brands traditionally present in the cigarettes category are now also present in RYO tobacco, offering RYO products with a variety of flavours and combinations with the same taste as the blends used for their cigarettes.
- Tabaqueira SA was the leading player in 2012, increasing its share in volume terms to 30%. The well-established Tabaco Aguia brand used to be the leader in smoking tobacco. In the review period, it kept almost the same percentage share, but brands such as Chesterfield and Marlboro entered the market in 2011 and made their way to into the top 3 brands in 2012.
- In volume terms, smoking tobacco is expected to grow in the forecast period, mostly derived from growth in RYO tobacco, which is expected to post a volume CAGR of 3%. On the other hand, pipe tobacco sales are expected to decline by a volume CAGR of 1%. Pipe tobacco will continue to struggle, despite the existence of clubs in Portugal trying to promote and encourage pipe smoking; this will remain a niche category.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Portugal with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Portugal, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Portugal market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Portugal?
- What are the major brands in Portugal?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Portugal - Category Analysis
The Role and Effect of Cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking tobacco: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Smoking Tobacco in Portugal - Company Profiles
British American Tobacco Portugal in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 2 British American Tobacco Portugal: Key Facts
- Summary 3 British American Tobacco Portugal: Competitive Position 2012
Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA in Tobacco (Portugal)
- Summary 4 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Tabaqueira SA - Empresa Industrial de Tabacos SA: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in Portugal - Industry Context
Cigarettes suffers from a decline in volume terms in 2012
Consumers shifting towards cheaper brands and RYO tobacco
Innovations drive the category
Newsagent-tobacconists/kiosks remains the leading distribution channel
More restrictions to come
- Summary 6 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 14 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 15 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 16 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 17 Trade Statistics: Cigarettes 2008-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 18 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 19 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 7 Research Sources