- Pipes were introduced to Russia, together with tobacco, from the US. However, this expensive tobacco product did not gain much traction in Russia. During Soviet times smoking tobacco was a rather scarce commodity, and Russians smoked mainly papirosy or cigarettes. Smoking tobacco began to gain acceptance in the 1990s when it started to be imported in different varieties from Europe. Pipe tobacco is more popular than RYO tobacco. Both product types are expensive for most Russians, and are regarded as premium products. Unlike in some European countries, RYO tobacco is not considered a cheap alternative to cigarettes.
- Since 2008 Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S (STG) has focused on the segment of alternative tobacco products – any tobacco products excluding cigarettes. From 2008 it has led smoking tobacco with a volume share of 41%. In 2010 there was a partial merger with Swedish Match. In 2011 the company acquired Lane Limited, manufacturer of the famous cigarillos and pipe tobacco Captain Black. In Russia the trademark Captain Black is registered by BAT. The company has a contract to distribute cigarillos by Lane Limited production till the year 2015. As such, both companies BAT and STG have the time and subject to negotiations on the issue. Mac Baren Tobacco Co A/S and Johann Wilhelm Von Eicken GmbH ranked second and third respectively in 2012 with shares of 29% and 3%.
- Over the forecast period smoking tobacco is expected to register a volume CAGR of 3% and a constant value CAGR of 6%. Major sales will derive not only from Moscow and St Petersburg as smoking tobacco will also be popular in cities with populations of over one million people, such as Samara, Rostov-on-Don and Novosibirsk. A smoking tobacco culture is only developing in Russia, and so over the forecast period the category cannot hope to compete with cigarettes, as it does in Germany or the UK.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Russia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Russia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Russia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Russia?
- What are the major brands in Russia?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Russia - Category Analysis
THE ROLE AND EFFECT OF CANNABIS/MARIJUANA
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking Tobacco – New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Tobacco in Russia - Industry Context
Market decline of cigarettes continues
Turbulent times for tobacco companies
Manufacturers of cigarettes simultaneously increase prices
Prospects for development of cigarettes
Cigars and cigarillos develop independently of cigarettes
- Summary 2 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 14 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Summary 3 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 15 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 16 Trade Statistics – 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 17 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 18 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 19 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 22 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 4 Research Sources