- While pipe tobacco is traditionally used by older Afrikaans and black South Africans, RYO tobacco is used primarily by younger South Africans in lower-income groups. It is used by those who wish to save money by rolling their own cigarettes, as well as by those who use it to mix with cannabis/marijuana.
- Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd led smoking tobacco in 2013 with a volume share of 37%. Four of the company’s brands fell into the top five brands within smoking tobacco, namely Best Blend, Boxer, Borkum Riff and Dingler’s Nineteen O’Four.
- Whilst authorities have been increasingly clamping down on illicit cigarettes in South Africa, their presence is still significant enough as to pose a threat to the sale of smoking tobacco as many consumers who are currently opting for RYO tobacco due to its lower unit price may instead choose to purchase illicit cigarettes which are ready to smoke (and therefore offer a greater level of convenience) and sell for an even lower price.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in South Africa with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in South Africa, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in South Africa market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in South Africa?
- What are the major brands in South Africa?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in South Africa - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Smoking Tobacco in South Africa - Company Profiles
Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd in Tobacco (South Africa)
- Summary 1 Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in South Africa - Industry Context
South African tobacco experiences volume declines in 2014
Value for money and added value drive cigarette sales in South Africa in 2014
British American Tobacco dominates South African tobacco in 2014
Grocery retailers remains the leading distribution channel for tobacco products
Potential legislative changes to exacerbate volume decline over the forecast period
- Summary 3 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2009-2014
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 19 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 4 Research Sources