- While pipe tobacco is traditionally used by older Afrikaans and black South Africans, RYO tobacco is used primarily by younger South Africans in lower-income groups. It is used by those who wish to save money by rolling their own cigarettes as well as by those who use it to mix with cannabis/marijuana.
- Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd led smoking tobacco in 2013 with a volume share of 35%. The leading four brands in smoking tobacco, all of which are offered by Brasant Enterprises, were Best Blend, Boxer, Borkum Riff and Dingler’s Nineteen O’ Four, which together accounted for a share of 24%. Rum & Maple Tobacco Corp SA (Pty) Ltd ranked second with a 3% share, largely thanks to its Rum & Maple brand.
- On the whole, pipe tobacco is predicted a value CAGR of 1% at constant 2013 prices over the forecast period. RYO tobacco is set to achieve steady growth, albeit from a low base. In 2013, it accounted for just a 1% share of overall smoking tobacco volume sales in South Africa.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in South Africa with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in South Africa, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in South Africa market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in South Africa?
- What are the major brands in South Africa?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in South Africa - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Smoking Tobacco in South Africa - Company Profiles
Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd in Tobacco (South Africa)
- Summary 1 Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd: Key Facts: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Philip Morris South Africa (Pty) Ltd: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in South Africa - Industry Context
Legal cigarette sales continue to decline
Innovation and the launch of cheaper variants of leading brands used to stimulate consumer interest
Grocery retailers remains the leading distribution channel for tobacco products
Potential legislative changes to exacerbate volume decline over the forecast period
- Summary 4 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2009-2013
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 19 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 5 Research Sources