- Traditionally in Spain, both RYO tobacco and pipe tobacco were consumed by adult men, often elderly men, with the majority of the country’s smokers leaning towards more modern and convenient products such as cigarettes. However, in recent years, RYO tobacco has become a very trendy product among younger Spanish smokers. Many Spanish people are attracted to RYO tobacco by its vintage image, not to mention that there is a real perception that hand-rolled cigarettes containing RYO tobacco are slightly healthier and more natural than machine-manufactured cigarettes.
- Altadis remained the leading player in smoking tobacco in Spain in 2012 with a volume share of 43%. The manufacturer recorded a three percentage point increase in its volume share in smoking tobacco in 2012, which can be mainly attributed to the favourable performance of its Ducados RYO brand, which is the leading brand in smoking tobacco with a volume share of 19% in 2012. This brand has registered steady growth in recent years, in line with the constant shift of consumers away from cigarettes towards RYO tobacco due to the lower unit price charged for RYO tobacco than cigarettes. Altadis has also seen a shift among Spanish consumers away from its traditional bestselling brand Golden Virginia, while its Pueblo brand recorded positive volume growth in 2012 following a double-digit decline in its volume sales during 2011.
- Smoking tobacco is expected to continue recording positive growth over the review period, increasing in volume at a CAGR of 7% and in constant value at a CAGR of 8%. Despite these positive overall growth rates, growth in smoking tobacco is set to be slower during the forecast period than it was during the review period, a fact which can be partly explained by the fact that the category will be close to reaching maturity towards the end of the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Spain with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Spain, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Spain market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Spain?
- What are the major brands in Spain?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Spain - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking tobacco - New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2008-2012
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2007-2012
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
Smoking Tobacco in Spain - Company Profiles
Altadis SA in Tobacco (Spain)
- Summary 2 Altadis SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Altadis SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Altadis SA: Production Statistics 2012
- Summary 5 Altadis SA: Competitive Position 2012
British American Tobacco España SA in Tobacco (Spain)
- Summary 6 British American Tobacco SA In Tobacco: Key Facts
- Summary 7 British American Tobacco SA In Tobacco: Operational Indicators
- Summary 8 British American Tobacco SA In Tobacco: Competitive Position 2012
JT International Iberia SL in Tobacco (Spain)
- Summary 9 JT INTERNATIONAL IBERIA SL: Key Facts
- Summary 10 JT INTERNATIONAL IBERIA SL: Operational Indicators
- Summary 11 JT INTERNATIONAL IBERIA SL: Competitive Position 2012
Tobacco in Spain - Industry Context
The decline of the Spanish economy provides no refuge for beleaguered smokers
New tax hikes push up the price of cigarettes and various other tobacco products
Illegal trade ravages the market of tobacco
Changes in smoking tobacco legislation reverse the shift from RYO tobacco to pipe tobacco
No light at the end of the tunnel for Spain’s struggling tobacco industry
- Summary 12 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Country-specific legislation: EU directives
Minimum legal smoking age
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 14 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 15 Taxation and Duty Levies 2007-2012
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 16 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 17 Trade Statistics – Tobacco Leaf 2007-2012
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 18 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 19 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2007-2012
- Table 20 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2007-2012
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2007-2012
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2007-2012
- Table 23 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2012-2017
- Table 24 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2012-2017
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2012-2017
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2012-2017
- Summary 13 Research Sources