- Over the review period smoking tobacco became very popular and registered rapid growth among Spanish consumers. The reason was the fact that the high prices of cigarettes encouraged already cash-strapped Spanish smokers, especially the youngest smokers, to substitute cigarettes with cheaper RYO tobacco and pipe tobacco, strongly reducing their monthly expenditure on smoking. However, after several tax increases to close the gap between smoking tobacco and cigarettes unit prices, RYO tobacco recorded strong declines while a second downgrade movement (from RYO tobacco to pipe tobacco) seems to be the last resource left to consumers who still favour smoking tobacco over cigarettes due to their lower unit price.
- Altadis SA is the category leader in Spain accounting for 26% of retail volume sales in 2014. The company strength relies on the performance of strong RYO brands like Ducados, Golden Virginia or Fortuna. Following Altadis SA is JT International Iberia SL accounting for 15% of category sales in volume terms featuring brands like Winston. The sharp consumption decline within RYO tobacco and transfer to pipe tobacco put Altadis under pressure, losing five percentage points of share compared to 2013 results.
- Increasing consumer purchasing power, as a result of the economic recovery already seen in 2014 and in the beginning of 2015 is set to be the most important factor driving the development of smoking tobacco in Spain over the forecast period. The main reason behind the impressive success seen from 2008 to 2014 has been the significant price differential against cigarettes, but after several tax increases closing this gap, the future ahead does not look bright for smoking tobacco in Spain.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Spain with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Spain, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Spain market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Spain?
- What are the major brands in Spain?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Spain - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Summary 1 Smoking Tobacco: New Product Launches
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2010-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2011-2014
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2009-2014
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Smoking Tobacco in Spain - Company Profiles
Altadis SA in Tobacco (Spain)
- Summary 2 Altadis SA: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Altadis SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Altadis SA: Production Statistics 2014
- Summary 5 Altadis SA: Competitive Position 2014
British American Tobacco España SA in Tobacco (Spain)
- Summary 6 British American Tobacco España SA: Key Facts
- Summary 7 British American Tobacco España SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 8 British American Tobacco España SA: Competitive Position 2014
Philip Morris Spain SA in Tobacco (Spain)
- Summary 9 Philip Morris Spain SA: Key Facts
- Summary 10 Philip Morris Spain SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 11 Philip Morris Spain SA: Competitive Position 2014
Tobacco in Spain - Industry Context
Tobacco sales show first signs of recovery
Pipes on the rise while vapour devices suffers due to new legislation
The competitive landscape remains static in 2014
Tobacco distribution remains heavily regulated
Relative optimism ahead
- Summary 12 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2010-2014
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2010-2014
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) cigarette regulation
Flavoured tobacco product ban
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2010-2014
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples (Pack of 20)
- Table 19 Trade Statistics: Tobacco Leaf 2009-2014
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 13 Research Sources