- In 2013, RYO tobacco dominated the market in term of value and volume sales, whilst pipe tobacco saw the highest value growth of 4% and slightly higher 1% volume growth. RYO tobacco became popular once again because its price is cheaper than other kinds of tobacco. The government collects the lowest excise tax on this tobacco type, even though it causes 44% of health problems and takes people’s lives more often than cigarettes. RYO tobacco is also provided in many flavours serving customers’ needs. Sometimes smokers bring ingredients of RYO tobacco to mix with pipe tobacco for a more appealing smell. RYO tobacco is made of materials similar to different kinds of paper such as banana leaf, lotus leaf, betel leaf, young nepa leaf, and maka leaf, with young nepa leaf being amongst the most popular.
- In 2013, there were approximately five million smokers smoking what was calculated to be 10 RYO units per day on average. There were around 24 brands of RYO tobacco divided into three types: ready packed RYO tobacco made in the country, ready packed RYO tobacco made in the country identified as “locally made RYO tobacco”, and imported RYO tobacco. In all there were 200 RYO tobacco manufacturers. In 2012, there were a small number of manufacturers and approximately 18 factories producing this tobacco type in the country. Excise tax was collected from RYO tobacco manufacturers and farmers who packed and sell to smokers by themselves in the amount of Bt25 million per year.
- Thai government will need to adjust taxes on all kinds of tobacco products based on their types and quantities to reduce the turnover rate from one to another kind of cheaper tobacco. Locally made RYO tobacco will be brought into the tax system, but manufacturers are the ones who will pay the tax, not the farmers. The tax system shall proceed alongside with educating people about the danger of smoking RYO tobacco being equal to that of smoking cigarettes. Warning images will be attached to smoking tobacco packages and campaigns to reduce the rate of smokers in every community will also continue as well as increase.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Smoking Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Smoking Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Smoking Tobacco industry in Thailand with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Smoking Tobacco industry in Thailand, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Smoking Tobacco in Thailand market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Smoking Tobacco in Thailand?
- What are the major brands in Thailand?
- How was toys and games affected by the global recession?
- Which product categories performed best in the last year?
- What are the new any safety regulations affecting the industry?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Toys and Games market research database.
Table of Contents
Smoking Tobacco in Thailand - Category Analysis
The role and effect of cannabis/marijuana
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENTS
- Table 1 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of RYO Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 7 NBO Company Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Pipe Tobacco: % Volume 2009-2012
- Table 9 Distribution of Smoking Tobacco by Format: % Volume 2008-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Smoking Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Smoking Tobacco in Thailand - Company Profiles
Pacific Cigars (Thailand) Co Ltd, The in Tobacco (Thailand)
- Summary 1 The Pacific Cigars (Thailand) Co Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 2 The Pacific Cigars (Thailand) Co., Ltd: Competitive Position 2013
Tobacco in Thailand - Industry Context
Thai laws on anti-smoking continue to have negative impact on sales growth
Thailand Tobacco Monopoly dominates tobacco industry
Tobacco products see continuous sales increases
AEC market contributes to tobacco growth
Overall tobacco products will continue to grow, albeit at slower rate
Legislative overview/FCTC ratification
- Summary 3 Legislation Summary at a Glance
Minimum legal smoking age
- Table 14 Smoking Prevalence in Adult Population 2008-2013
- Table 15 Number of Adult Smokers by Gender 2008-2013
Advertising and sponsorship
Point-of-sale display bans
Smoking in public places
Low ignition propensity (LIP) regulation
Death by cause
- Table 16 Death by Cause 2008-2012
TAXATION AND PRICING
Duty-paid packet marks
- Table 17 Taxation and Duty Levies 2008-2013
Average cigarette pack price breakdown
- Table 18 Average Cigarette Pack Price Breakdown: Brand Examples
- Table 19 Trade Statistics – Cigarettes 2009-2013
Illicit trade in cigarettes
- Table 20 Illicit Trade Estimate of Cigarettes: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 21 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2008-2013
- Table 22 Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 23 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2008-2013
- Table 24 Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 25 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Volume 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Volume Growth 2013-2018
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Tobacco by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 4 Research Sources