- Value sales of soup recoded a marginal decline in 2015 in current value terms. If sales of soups were driven by rising demand for convenience during the years immediately prior to the onset of the economic crisis, since the advent of the current deep economic crisis, the category has suffered deeply. Spain’s unemployment rate was closed to the 24% according to the latest estimations by official statistics at the beginning of 2015. This fact resulted in Spanish consumers reducing their demand for convenience oriented package to food products, which are traditionally more expensive, instead preferring more economical staples. In the case of soups, consumers have largely avoided purchasing ready-to-consume products in favour of raw ingredients which can be used to prepare food from scratch at home, especially products offered under easy-to-cook ranges.
- Gallina Blanca SA continued to lead soup in Spain in 2015, accounting for 34% of total retail value sales, slightly down from the previous year. The company leads sales in UHT soup, instant soup and dehydrated soup. Similarly to 2014, the fact that Gallina Blanca lacks a strong presence in chilled soup compromised its overall performance in 2015 as chilled soup was the best performing category towards the end of the review period. The company remained somewhat active in terms of new product launches, however, with the production of its new dehydrated soup Sopa de Cocido. Towards the end of the review period, the company invested heavily in the reformulation of its range of UHT soup, making it 100% natural and with no coulourants or artificial flavours.
- National and international forecasts anticipate that Spain’s GDP will record positive growth from 2015 onwards. However, the country’s unemployment rate is expected to take longer to recover. This fact is expected to extend the cautious attitude towards spending that Spanish consumers have maintained since the beginning of the economic crisis back in 2008, and which was especially prevalent in the country during the first half of the review period. This fact is set to place limits on the performance of a number of soup categories over the forecast period, with soup set to increase in value at a CAGR of 1% at constant 2015 prices.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Soup Market Research Report
Sample Soup Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Soup industry in Spain with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Soup industry in Spain, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Soup in Spain market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Soup in Spain?
- What are the major brands in Spain?
- Will retail sales suffer as economic prospects improve and consumers move back to eating out rather than eating at home?
- Are consumers moving from traditionally canned and dehydrated variants to more innovative chilled, frozen and UHT formats?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Soup in Spain - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Soup by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Soup by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Soup by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Soup by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Soup by by Leading Flavours: Rankings 2010-2015
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Soup: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Soup: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Distribution of Soup by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Soup in Spain - Company Profiles
Mercadona SA in Packaged Food (Spain)
- Summary 1 Mercadona SA: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Mercadona SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Mercadona SA: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 Mercadona SA: Competitive Position 2014
Nestlé España SA (Grupo) in Packaged Food (Spain)
- Summary 5 Nestlé España SA (Grupo): Key Facts
- Summary 6 Nestlé España SA (Grupo): Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Nestlé España SA (Grupo): Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in Spain - Industry Context
Economic recovery provides momentum for packaged food
Local products a responsible option
Differentiation a key strategy for competition
Convenience and service in addition to price competition
Innovation the key to expansion
Key Trends and Developments
The Spanish economy is on the road to recovery
Milk quotas disappear in 2015
Health and wellness is a key interest for Spanish consumers
Fresh products a potential threat for packaged food
Foodservice: Key Trends and Developments
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer foodservice
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources