- Due to the extraordinarily warm winter weather soup lost sales during the first few crucial months of 2015. These cold winter months usually generate the majority of sales for soup. As there was no snow or ice in sight, the traditional winter soups such as pea soup lost sales. This resulted in a further decline in sales. Another major reason for the lower value sales is that the number of promotions for soup within supermarkets is under pressure. Due to the relatively warm winter weather, supermarkets ran far fewer promotions, which further weakened the position of soup.
- Soup is a category which is highly concentrated in the Netherlands. Unilever leads soup with a very strong 48% value share in 2015. Unilever’s main soup brand is Unox. The brand has a long-established presence in soup in the Netherlands and it still enjoys strong loyalty amongst Dutch consumers. However, in 2014 and 2015 the brand has struggled. There are several issues which have had a negative impact on the value share of Unox within soup. One reason for the decline in its share is that the winter was very mild in 2014/2015. Pea soup is a major part of the Unox brand and Unox is the number one brand for this winter favourite. As the last two winters were extraordinarily mild, sales of pea soup in general slumped and Unox was hit hard.
- The weather was a factor in the lacklustre performance of soup in 2014 and 2015, but it is difficult to predict what the weather will be like over the forecast period. However, it can be expected that after a period of warm winter weather there will be some periods of colder weather over the forecast period. Another reason to think that soup will see a modest improvement over the forecast period is the fact that it is unlikely that the major players within soup such as Unilever and Heinz will want to let their value shares within soup slip further. Both companies are likely to take actions to prevent a further decline in their sales. The major players will try and revive this category which witnessed healthy growth at the beginning of the review period.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Soup Market Research Report
Sample Soup Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Soup industry in Netherlands with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Soup industry in Netherlands, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Soup in Netherlands market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Soup in Netherlands?
- What are the major brands in Netherlands?
- Will retail sales suffer as economic prospects improve and consumers move back to eating out rather than eating at home?
- Are consumers moving from traditionally canned and dehydrated variants to more innovative chilled, frozen and UHT formats?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Soup in the Netherlands - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Soup by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Soup by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Soup by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Soup by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Soup by by Leading Flavours: Rankings 2010-2015
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Soup: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Soup: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Distribution of Soup by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Soup by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Soup in the Netherlands - Company Profiles
Albert Heijn BV in Packaged Food (Netherlands)
- Summary 1 Albert Heijn BV: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Albert Heijn BV: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 3 Albert Heijn BV: Competitive Position 2014
Unilever Nederland BV in Packaged Food (Netherlands)
- Summary 4 Unilever Nederland BV: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Unilever Nederland BV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 6 Unilever Nederland BV: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in the Netherlands - Industry Context
Packaged food not able to register positive growth in 2015
Internet retailing shows good results in the distribution of packaged food
Private label sales booming in packaged food in 2015
Supermarkets remains the dominant distribution channel in packaged food in 2015
Packaged food is expected to record negative value growth over the forecast period
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Private label still booming in the Netherlands
Internet retailing is subject to increased interest
Origin becomes more important than organic
Cocooning still popular in the Netherlands despite better economic conditions
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 7 Research Sources