- While bread with spreads has an important place in the diet of the average Belgian, the main driver of growth in 2015 was the offer of more natural products such as products with no added sugar with higher fruit content in jams and preserves and the substitution of sugar with honey when preparing food at home. As a result, spreads recorded positive growth in both current value and volume terms. The 4% current value growth recorded in the category during 2015 was slower than the 5% current value CAGR recorded in the category over the review period as spreads is facing increased competition on breakfast tables from other packaged food categories, such as breakfast cereals and biscuits.
- Ferrero Ardennes remained the leading player in spreads in 2015. The company’s success is due to the original and traditional recipe for the Nutella brand, which is remains a secret guarded by the Ferrero family. In addition, the regular advertising campaigns for not all brand also contributed the company’s success. Ferrero regularly airs television commercials targeting children, teenagers and indeed the whole family in order to strengthen the image of the Nutella brand. The company has also managed to transform the negative views surrounding the negative environmental impact of palm oil as all Ferrero products now contain 100% sustainable palm oil as of January 2015. In November 2014, Ferrero also launched a campaign of personalised labels for the Nutella chocolate spreads brand.
- The positive performance of bread thanks to in-store bakeries within modern groceries is expected to be a major driver of growth in spreads during the forecast period. Is also likely that spreads will become more popular at times a day other than for breakfast. However, the increasing success of breakfast biscuits and the recovery of breakfast cereals might pose a threat to sales in spreads during the forecast period, resulting in volume and value growth rates in the category being slower over the forecast period than they were over the review period.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Spreads Market Research Report
Sample Spreads Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Spreads industry in Belgium with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Spreads industry in Belgium, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Spreads in Belgium market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Spreads in Belgium?
- What are the major brands in Belgium?
- How are manufacturers leveraging health and wellness trends like reduced sugar or organic sourcing?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Spreads in Belgium - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Spreads by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Spreads by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Spreads by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Spreads by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Jams and Preserves by Leading Flavours: Rankings 2010-2015
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Spreads: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Spreads: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Distribution of Spreads by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Spreads in Belgium - Company Profiles
Etn Franz Colruyt NV in Packaged Food (Belgium)
- Summary 1 Etn Franz Colruyt NV: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Etn Franz Colruyt: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Etn Franz Colruyt: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 Etn Franz Colruyt: Competitive Position 2014
Lotus Bakeries NV in Packaged Food (Belgium)
- Summary 5 Lotus Bakeries NV: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Lotus Bakeries NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Lotus Bakeries NV: Competitive Position 2015
Mondelez Belgium BVBA in Packaged Food (Belgium)
- Summary 8 Mondelez Belgium BVBA: Key Facts
- Summary 9 Mondelez Belgium BVBA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 10 Mondelez Belgium BVBA: Competitive Position 2015
Nestlé Belgilux SA in Packaged Food (Belgium)
- Summary 11 Nestlé Belgilux SA: Key Facts
- Summary 12 Nestlé Belgilux SA: Competitive Position 2015
Unilever Belgium NV in Packaged Food (Belgium)
- Summary 13 Unilever Belgium NV: Key Facts
- Summary 14 Unilever Belgium NV: Operational Indicators
- Summary 15 Unilever Belgium NV: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in Belgium - Industry Context
Packaged food sales continue to grow, despite ongoing macroeconomic constraints
Consumers remain price conscious, boosting private label sales
Consumers accept the principle of health and wellness, although the overweight population continues to rise
Rising demand for more exotic flavours
Modest expectations for packaged food over the forecast period
Key Trends and Developments
Slow economic growth hampers the progress of packaged food
Private label continues to gain ground in this highly fragmented market
Premiumisation trend characterises the marketplace in 2015
Rising demand for ethnic and more exotic flavours in some but not all categories
Foodservice: Key Trends and Developments
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 16 Research Sources