- UK consumers increasingly shifted to healthier diets for themselves and their children towards the end of the review period, with many attempting to reduce their sugar and salt consumption in particular. This trend impacted jams and preserves, the dominant product area in spreads, with consumers being increasingly concerned about high sugar levels in these products. The high salt content of yeast-based spreads also impacted sales in this area, resulting in marginal decline in 2015. Changing breakfast patterns are also having a heavy impact on sales, with declining bread consumption notably hitting sales in these areas hard.
- Private label players are strong in spreads, with Tesco and J Sainsbury in particular offering successful ranges. These players ranked first and third in overall spreads in 2015, accounting for 10% value share each. Tesco ranks second in honey and chocolate spreads, accounting for 15% and 9% value share respectively in these areas, while ranking a strong fourth in jams and preserves and nut and seed based spreads. The company offers a wide range of prices and products, from economy options such as its Tesco Everyday range to premium products such as Tesco Finest 30% Dark Chocolate Spread and Tesco Finest Australian Honey with Eucalyptus. J Sainsbury meanwhile ranks second in nut and seed based spreads with 17% share, third in honey with 14% share and also ranks third in chocolate spreads and fifth in jams and preserves. This company similarly offers economy products from its Sainsbury's Basic range alongside distinctive offerings such as Sainsbury's Popping Candy Chocolate Spread.
- Many leading brands in spreads are likely to increasingly position themselves as a cooking ingredient in the forecast period, given the success that brands such as Nutella and Bonne Maman have had in capitalising on the home-baking trend. This is unlikely to prove a successful strategy in all areas, with yeast-based spreads unlikely to benefit from growing use in recipes. However, the wider use of nut and seed based spreads in cooking is likely, both in sweet cakes and biscuits and in savoury Asian-inspired recipes such as spicy peanut butter noodles.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Spreads Market Research Report
Sample Spreads Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Spreads industry in United Kingdom with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Spreads industry in United Kingdom, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Spreads in United Kingdom market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Spreads in United Kingdom?
- What are the major brands in United Kingdom?
- How are manufacturers leveraging health and wellness trends like reduced sugar or organic sourcing?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Packaged Food market research database.
Table of Contents
Spreads in the United Kingdom - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Sales of Spreads by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales of Spreads by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Sales of Spreads by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Spreads by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Jams and Preserves by Leading Flavours: Rankings 2010-2015
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Spreads: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Spreads: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Distribution of Spreads by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Spreads by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Spreads in the United Kingdom - Company Profiles
J Sainsbury Plc in Packaged Food (United Kingdom)
- Summary 1 J Sainsbury Plc: Key Facts
- Summary 2 J Sainsbury Plc: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 J Sainsbury Plc: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 4 J Sainsbury Plc: Competitive Position 2014
Mars Food UK Ltd in Packaged Food (United Kingdom)
- Summary 5 Mars Food UK Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 6 Mars Food UK Ltd: Operational Indicators
- Summary 7 Mars Food UK Ltd: Competitive Position 2015
Packaged Food in the United Kingdom - Industry Context
Growth recorded but packaged food market labours
Convenience and provenance trends impact packaged food
Brand manufacturers challenge supermarkets with new strategies
Discounters consolidate market share
Innovation required to fend off projected mediocre performance
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Discounters consolidate market share
Masterbrand strategy gains prominence
Convenience formats popular across the UK
Consumers value food provenance
FOODSERVICE: KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Trends: Sales to Foodservice
Trends: Consumer Foodservice
- Table 13 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 14 Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 15 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 16 Forecast Foodservice Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 17 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 GBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 NBO Company Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 23 LBN Brand Shares of Packaged Food: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 24 Penetration of Private Label by Category: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 25 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 26 Distribution of Packaged Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 27 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Packaged Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources