Tobacco sees import growth in 2013
In 2013, tobacco imports increased in Georgia. The main reason for import growth was an increase in excise levies in September 2013. Forecasting the increase in excise, players started importing tobacco products in large volumes before September 2013, in order to be able to sell them at a higher price after the rise in excise and, as a result, gain higher revenues.
Locally produced tobacco products reduce
The popularity of locally produced tobacco products decreased in Georgia during 2013 and this will tend to continue during the forecast period. Due to a wide range of international brands present in Georgia, locally produced tobacco products cannot compete in terms of quality and price correlation.
Omega Group Tobacco Ltd (OGT) aims to regain lost volume share
OGT is one of the key players in tobacco in Georgia and has a very long history of presence. However, during 2010-2013, the company lost tobacco volume share significantly, due to the leadership of one of the greatest tobacco players worldwide, Japan Tobacco Inc, present in Georgia with a wide range of international brands in its portfolio. However, in 2013, OGT introduced more than 10 new international tobacco brands to Georgia which fall mainly into the mid-priced segment. This will allow the company to improve its position in tobacco in Georgia.
Traditional types of grocery retailers are the main channels for cigarette sales
Tobacco specialists and independent small grocers remained the largest distributional channels for cigarette sales in 2013. As a result of certain promotional bans in Georgia, tobacco distributors have started using point-of-sale product display, as this has remained one of the main ways of promoting tobacco products. Besides this, companies are accomplishing tobacco products promotion and achieving sales quite successfully with products being displayed at points of sale, where, at the moment of checkout, consumers select tobacco products according to their preference.
Smoking prevalence set to decline in Georgia
Smoking prevalence is expected to decline in Georgia over the forecast period as a result of anti-smoking campaigns that have resulted in the population’s education as to the harm of tobacco products. Over decades, consumption of tobacco products in Georgia was not significantly developed, because of the low level of income among the Georgian population. However, when international brands entered Georgia, the popularity of tobacco products started increasing in the 1990s, resulting in a high level of tobacco smokers among the underage population. Nevertheless, as a result of increased anti-tobacco campaigns, the number of the smoking population is set to decline in Georgia over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Tobacco industry in Georgia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Tobacco industry in Georgia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Georgia for free:
The Tobacco in Georgia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Tobacco in Georgia?
- What are the major brands in Georgia?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market is the largest by value sales in Georgia?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market has been growing the fastest, by volume and value, in Georgia?
- Which sector is the most heavily taxed in Georgia?
- Which companies dominate in the total tobacco market in Georgia in terms of market share?
- What is the distribution channel split for the tobacco products market in Georgia?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.