Tobacco maintains steady growth in 2012
- The tobacco industry has been negatively impacted since Romania’s integration into the European Union. However, the industry saw an improved performance in both volume and value terms in 2012. Despite rising taxes, increasingly stringent regulations and the gloomy economic climate, 2012 proved to be a good year for cigarette manufacturers as they launched new products, redesigned existing packaging and introduced new packaging. Innovation was one of the main factors that contributed to the successful year for the main players which managed to attract more customers.
Growing health concerns contribute to a greater usage of electronic cigarettes
Electronic cigarettes, seen by many as a healthy alternative to tobacco smoking, developed further in 2012. In the 21st century, people have come to care more about their health and wellbeing, therefore, the idea of less-harmful smoking devices began to emerge rapidly among the country’s population. The category size of these devices is, however, still negligible, as most of the products are sold via the internet. However, these products are expected to increase in volume sales in the forecast period as they have started to be seen as an alternative to quitting smoking.
Sales continue to be dominated by the limited number of players
The Romanian cigarettes category is dominated almost entirely, both in volume and value terms, by three leading players - British American Tobacco, JT International, and Philip Morris. The remaining share is divided among other smaller local players.
Small independent grocers remains the leading channel
The leading distribution channel in Romania remained independent small grocers followed by newsagents/tobacconists and convenience stores. As cigarettes retail at the same price no matter what the channel, consumers to purchase these products from their nearest outlet.
Illicit trade decreases in 2011 and 2012
The illicit trade declined sharply in the last two years of the review period. This diminution of total illegal trade was due to the concerted efforts of the legislative authorities, as well as the effective collaboration between governmental institutions and the tobacco industry. At the same time, the reduced smuggling increased the revenues to the state budget collected by the government in 2012.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Tobacco industry in Romania with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Tobacco industry in Romania, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Romania for free:
The Tobacco in Romania market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Tobacco in Romania?
- What are the major brands in Romania?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market is the largest by value sales in Romania?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market has been growing the fastest, by volume and value, in Romania?
- Which sector is the most heavily taxed in Romania?
- Which companies dominate in the total tobacco market in Romania in terms of market share?
- What is the distribution channel split for the tobacco products market in Romania?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.