Tobacco advertising centre of point-of-sale display
As the Vietnamese government implemented a complete ban on tobacco advertising across all media channels, tobacco companies decided to shift their efforts to point-of-sale displays to enhance brand awareness and increase volume sales. The most popular type of point-of-sale display is a poster placed in front of the retail counter.
High tar cigarettes continue to dominate cigarettes in Vietnam
In 2012, high tar cigarettes remained the most popular type of cigarettes in Vietnam due to the traditional preference of Vietnamese smokers for strong flavoured high tar cigarettes. Low tar cigarettes and ultra low tar cigarettes accounted for only a small portion of total cigarette volume sales despite their longstanding presence in the country. Despite the government’s plans to lower the tar levels of high tar cigarettes, according to the Ministry of Health’s Decision 02/2007/QD-BYT. High tar cigarettes is projected to maintain its dominant position in Vietnam over the forecast period.
Continued lax enforcement of government regulations
Despite the higher disposable income and rising awareness of harmful effects of smoking, and continuous effort of the government regarding tobacco control, the government displayed very lenient implementation of smoking control rules and regulations, which indirectly contributed to the high smoking prevalence in Vietnam, which still has one the highest smoking rates in the world. The Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) revealed that Vietnam male smoking prevalence was 47% and 3% for female smokers in 2012.
Street vendors continues to be the key distribution channel for tobacco
Street vendors continued to be the main distribution channel of tobacco in Vietnam. Street vendors can be found on every street corner in all areas of the country, from big cities to remote rural areas. Modern channels such as supermarkets/hypermarkets and convenience stores contributed to minimal share of tobacco sales in Vietnam. Local consumers continue to prefer to purchase tobacco products from street vendors due to the convenience and flexibility of the channel.
Tobacco in Vietnam under threat for stricter legislation and tax hikes
Over the forecast period, tobacco manufacturers are expected to face the threat of government plans for stricter control of tobacco legislation and tax hikes due to the high pressure to reduce the high smoking prevalence in the country. The government aims to tighten government control of tobacco legislation, with stricter implementation. If certain laws and regulations are passed and implemented properly, it might lead to an overall decline in the consumption of tobacco products over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Tobacco industry in Vietnam with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Tobacco industry in Vietnam, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Vietnam for free:
The Tobacco in Vietnam market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Tobacco in Vietnam?
- What are the major brands in Vietnam?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market is the largest by value sales in Vietnam?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market has been growing the fastest, by volume and value, in Vietnam?
- Which sector is the most heavily taxed in Vietnam?
- Which companies dominate in the total tobacco market in Vietnam in terms of market share?
- What is the distribution channel split for the tobacco products market in Vietnam?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.