- Given the increasing health awareness towards nutrition amongst local consumers and the intensifying word of mouth advertising, vitamins and dietary supplements rapidly gained in popularity, representing a significant growth opportunity for the current and potential new competitors. “Food matters” has developed as one of the main communication (educational) strategies locally, which made local consumers more concerned about their well-being, boosting “nutritional value” as a fashionable health factor to consider. Due to this, health professionals are increasingly recommending the inclusion of vitamins and dietary supplements as an integral and preventive solution for common conditions. Convenience, availability, specific offers (bonuses, point-of-sale support, brand awareness), standardisation, functionality, digestibility were considered key differentiating factors within the category in 2013.
- GNC Costa Rica and Wyeth de Costa Rica continued to lead vitamins and dietary supplements in 2013, accounting for 10% value share each. Even though GNC is mainly positioned as “the vitamin store”, consumers have a strong brand association with dietary supplements, weight management and sports nutrition, which made it one of the local’s favourite alternatives, including third party products (consumers are likely to prefer GNC’s buying experience). Wyeth’s leading brand, Centrum, is widely available in modern grocery retail formats, such as hypermarkets and supermarkets, and most chemist/pharmacies. Grupo Farmanova Intermed ranked third, with 8% retail value share, due to Pharmaton multivitamins, one of the best-selling brands in local parapharmacies/drugstores.
- Forecast trends are expected to continue moving towards further levels of segmentation, with manufacturers taking advantage of the increasing health awareness amongst local consumers, including physicians and nutritionists, which are anticipated to prescribe herbal/traditional dietary supplements, and vitamin complexes. Convenience, brand positioning, standardisation and technology innovation might continue enhancing as key differentiating factors over the forecast period. The leading competitors are anticipated to continue applying different strategies in order to stimulate sales further, such as improving delivery systems, decreasing pack size in order to increase point-of-sale visits (frequency) and brand awareness while investing in educational campaigns (such as GNC’s monthly campaigns which focuses on stimulated certain products). Manufacturers and distributors might continue focusing on combination dietary supplements which are positioned based on their benefits and men’s/women integral solutions as well as investing in complementary lines, such as pet products.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Market Research Report
Sample Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Vitamins and Dietary Supplements industry in Costa Rica with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Vitamins and Dietary Supplements industry in Costa Rica, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in Costa Rica market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in Costa Rica?
- What are the major brands in Costa Rica?
- Which dietary supplement grew the fastest in the past year?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in Costa Rica - Category Analysis
- Summary 1 Dietary Supplements: Brand Ranking by Positioning 2013
- Table 1 Summary2 Multivitamins: Brand Ranking by Positioning 2013
- Table 2 Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Multivitamins by Positioning: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales of Dietary Supplements by Positioning: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 6 NBO Company Shares of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Vitamins: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 9 LBN Brand Shares of Dietary Supplements: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 11 Forecast Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in Costa Rica - Company Profiles
GNC Costa Rica SA in Consumer Health (Costa Rica)
- Summary 2 GNC Costa Rica SA: Competitive Position 2013
Laboratorios Stein in Consumer Health (Costa Rica)
- Summary 3 Laboratorios Stein: Competitive Position 2013
Total Natural SA in Consumer Health (Costa Rica)
- Summary 4 Total Natural SA: Production Statistics 2013
- Summary 5 Total Natural SA: Competitive Position 2013
Consumer Health in Costa Rica - Industry Context
Stable demand for consumer health
Combination products drive OTC performance during 2013
Price, experience and tradition continue to drive local competitive environment
Strategic alliances and mergers shape distribution trends and the competiveness of smaller players
Anticipated improvement for consumer health performance
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Self-medication and behind-the-counter sales remain as key purchase drivers for non-prescription medicines in Costa Rica
Price-based completion consolidates as one of the main purchasing decision factors for OTC drugs in the country
Natural based OTC remedies and the adoption of more balanced lifestyles continue to gain momentum in the country
Consumer awareness in relation to preventive medicine helps to consolidate VDS sales in Costa Rica
- Table 12 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2008-2013
- Table 13 Life Expectancy at Birth 2008-2013
- Table 14 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 15 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 16 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 17 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 18 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 19 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventative medicine
- Summary 6 Research Sources