- “Chaotic dump” for some sources and “much noise about nothing” for others, the new regulation from EFSA did not seem to have the expected result on sales of vitamins and dietary supplements in 2013. Even so, following the EFSA’s harmonised list, the French authorities began to apply the new 222 approved health and nutritional claims from December 2012. The general impact for consumers had to be favourable according to mainstream manufacturers, as clarity had to be improved, and consequently, trust in dietary supplements had to be restored. Other sources generally felt that the new claims were quite restrictive, more particularly small and medium players who feared the effects of the obligation to publish medical surveys to justify claims on the finances of the most fragile operators. However, most sources observe that the EFSA regulation was applied with a certain confusion and a prolonged delay during the first half of 2013. In addition, most herbal/traditional dietary substances should be concerned by the EFSA rules only at the beginning of 2014.
- Laboratoires Arkopharma leads the pack with one of the only double-digit value shares: 13% in overall vitamins and dietary supplements in 2013. The company’s leading position relies on its diverse product line, positioned on natural and herbal traits, and also from its well-established brands. The combined sales from the company’s three top brands - Arkogélules, Phytofluide and Azinc - capture 8% of overall value sales of vitamins and dietary supplements in France. In addition to the good image and quality of these products, the company’s products enjoy excellent price positioning, along with a very popular merchandising presence in chemists/pharmacies. As a result, Laboratoires Arkopharma forges ahead in 2013 with an appreciable increase of one percentage point in share on 2012.
- Most players are not very confident about the outlook for vitamins and dietary supplements. Given many things were in flux in the middle of 2013 (for instance, the status of herbal/traditional dietary supplements will have to wait for the beginning of 2014), players do not know where they stand. For some marketers, the new legislation from EFSA should result in a clarification of the offering, with the withdrawal of “miracle” promises. For others, EFSA is banning the previous system that was based on the established practice. This could have a detrimental effect on small and medium manufacturers and benefit the mainstream laboratories. Big players can afford to pay for medical surveys and should have a clearer field if some small and medium operators disappear.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Market Research Report
Sample Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Vitamins and Dietary Supplements industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Vitamins and Dietary Supplements industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- Which dietary supplement grew the fastest in the past year?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France - Category Analysis
- Summary 1 Dietary Supplements: Brand Ranking by Positioning 2013
- Summary 2 Multivitamins: Brand Ranking by Positioning 2013
- Table 1 Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales of Multivitamins by Positioning: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 4 Sales of Dietary Supplements by Positioning: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Vitamins: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Dietary Supplements: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France - Company Profiles
Laboratoires URGO SAS in Consumer Health (France)
- Summary 3 Laboratoires Urgo SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 4 Laboratoires Urgo SA: Competitive Position 2013
Consumer Health in France - Industry Context
Consumer health manages to get by relatively well
The ambivalent impact of EFSA
Pure OTC brands stand out from the crowd
Chemists/pharmacists almost monopolise sales
The market is unlikely to fare much better
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Times are not that tough for consumer health
Mentalities and behaviours are changing (too slowly) in OTC
New regulation blows hot and cold on the market
Players cannot free themselves from the almost monopoly of pharmacies
- Table 11 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2008-2013
- Table 12 Life Expectancy at Birth 2008-2013
- Table 13 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2008-2013
- Table 14 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 15 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 16 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 17 Penetration of Private Label in Consumer Health by Category: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 18 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2008-2013
- Table 19 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2013
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2013-2018
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2013-2018
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventative medicine
- Summary 5 OTC: Switches 2011-2013
- Summary 6 Research Sources