- After more than a year of settlement of the new regulation from EFSA, marketers feared the worse for sales in vitamins and dietary supplements in particular. Most sources observed that the EFSA regulation (the harmonised list of the new 222 approved health and nutritional claims) was applied with certain confusion and a prolonged delay in 2013 and then followed by its application to most herbal/traditional dietary substances in 2014. However, the general impact for consumers was rather favourable according to mainstream manufacturers, as clarity was improved, and consequently, trust in dietary supplements was restored. Other sources generally felt that the new claims were quite restrictive, more particularly small and medium players who feared the effects of the obligation to publish medical surveys to justify claims on the finances of the most fragile operators.
- In a fragmented competitive environment, Laboratoires Arkopharma remained leader in vitamins and dietary supplements with a value share of 13% in 2014. The company’s leading position relied on its diverse product line, positioned on natural and herbal traits, and also on its well-established brands. The combined sales from the company’s three top brands, Arkogélules, Phytofluide and Azinc, represented 9% of overall value sales of vitamins and dietary supplements in France in 2014. In addition to the strong image and quality of these brands, the company’s products enjoyed excellent price positioning, along with a very popular merchandising presence in chemists/pharmacies. Coupled with its accurate anticipation of the consequences of the EFSA regulation, this enabled Laboratoires Arkopharma to expand at a similar robust pace in 2014 to its achievement in 2013.
- Manufacturers will be reassured about the potential for vitamins and dietary supplements from now on. Although there is expected to be a decree on non-herbal substances in 2015 (after the aforementioned decree of plants in 2014), the most difficult part has been done. The new legislation from EFSA resulted in a clarification of the offering, with the withdrawal of “miracle” promises and a paradoxical development: while legislation is becoming tougher about claims in this area, vitamins and dietary supplements is increasingly aimed at preventing troubles. These products evolved from a status of well-being boosters to the status of preventative treatment, such as red rice yeast against cardiovascular problems. Consumers’ general defiance towards standard/chemical drugs should continue to motivate them to adopt preventive rather than curative alternatives by opting for vitamins and dietary supplements to boost and/or maintain their health.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Market Research Report
Sample Vitamins and Dietary Supplements Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Vitamins and Dietary Supplements industry in France with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Vitamins and Dietary Supplements industry in France, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France?
- What are the major brands in France?
- Which dietary supplement grew the fastest in the past year?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Health market research database.
Table of Contents
Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France - Category Analysis
- Summary 1 Dietary Supplements: Brand Ranking by Positioning 2014
- Summary 2 Multivitamins: Brand Ranking by Positioning 2014
- Table 1 Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 2 Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 3 Sales of Multivitamins by Positioning: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 4 Sales of Dietary Supplements by Positioning: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 5 NBO Company Shares of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 6 LBN Brand Shares of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 7 LBN Brand Shares of Vitamins: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 8 LBN Brand Shares of Dietary Supplements: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 9 Forecast Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 10 Forecast Sales of Vitamins and Dietary Supplements by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Vitamins and Dietary Supplements in France - Company Profiles
Laboratoires URGO SAS in Consumer Health (France)
- Summary 3 Laboratoires URGO SA: Key Facts
- Summary 4 Laboratoires URGO SA: Operational Indicators
- Summary 5 Laboratoires URGO SA: Competitive Position 2014
Consumer Health in France - Industry Context
A combination of negative factors affects growth
Self-medication remains underdeveloped while non-OTC fares better
Players and brands specialising in vitamins and dietary supplements perform relatively well
Chemists/pharmacists continue to lead sales strongly
Modest prospects overall
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Unfavourable economic and climatic context for consumer healthcare
Non-OTC products successfully pass safety tests, while OTC products are still restrained by legislation and lack of self-medication
Increasing concentration witnessed in a still fragmented market that remains driven by chemists/pharmacies
- Table 11 Consumer Expenditure on Health Goods and Medical Services: Value 2009-2014
- Table 12 Life Expectancy at Birth 2009-2014
- Table 13 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 14 Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 15 NBO Company Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 16 LBN Brand Shares of Consumer Health: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 17 Penetration of Private Label in Consumer Health by Category: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 18 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 19 Distribution of Consumer Health by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 20 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 21 Forecast Sales of Consumer Health by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
OTC registration and classification
Vitamins and dietary supplements registration and classification
Self-medication/self-care and preventive medicine
- Summary 6 OTC: Switches 2012-2014
- Summary 7 Research Sources