Using consumer types to go beyond demographics
While many companies often identify market segments using demographics alone, few would agree that consumers are neatly defined by age, gender, or income. To overcome this issue, Passport Survey looked beyond standard demographics and created distinct, personality-driven consumer types at both the global and country level. These consumer types incorporate many of the diverse attitudes and habits that separate one person from another, even distinguishing among those in the same demographic group.
Drawing on consumers’ personal attitudes and traits such as media consumption, buying behaviours, individual aspirations, and more, this segmentation empowers companies to think creatively about potential customers and create products and campaigns tailored to consumers’ interests and attitudes. For example:
- Does a consumer who values status and the opinions of others also buy the latest tech gadgets and jump from brand to brand without any particular loyalty, focusing solely on what is currently on trend?
- Does a stressed, full-time worker who prioritises family above all else struggle to cook healthy meals for his or her children? If so, do they end up stocking the freezer with nutritionist-recommended ready meals or buying whatever is on sale when they stop by the store on their way home for dinner?
Passport Survey’s latest white paper provides an in-depth look at seven global consumer types, including a profile of their personality traits, buying behaviours, and lifestyle habits.
Ready to reach consumers in a specific market?
Profiles of global consumer types can help brands and retailers sharpen their product development and marketing efforts to better reach their target market. However, many companies may want to go further and learn about the consumer types in specific countries. Euromonitor has taken the next step and profiled consumers within nine major developed and emerging markets:
Consumer types from four of these markets are introduced in the following videos:
- An Introduction to Brazilian Consumer Types
- An Introduction to Chinese Consumer Types
- An Introduction to French Consumer Types
- An Introduction to US Consumer Types
Want to learn more?
Subscribers to Passport Survey have access to in-depth profiles of the 45 consumer types shown above. These profiles are also available in standalone, market-specific reports.
Each report includes comparisons of five country-level consumer types across the following areas:
Personal traits and values:
- Work and personal life
- Financial attitudes
- Shopping and spending
- Civic engagement
- Health and diet
- Green attitudes
- Shopping habits
- Technology use
- In-country distribution of types
- City size
- Parental status
In addition to these country-specific reports, Passport Survey subscribers have access to a series of published reports and datagraphics highlighting the thoughts, priorities and behaviours of the four 2011 global consumer types. A white paper exploring one of these types, the Undaunted Striver, is also available to the public.