Small increase in current value sales
Although RYO tobacco and cigarettes were faced with decline in volume and current value terms, the volume and value increases within Swedish-style snus, generated negligible growth for tobacco in 2013. Snus generates around a quarter of the total value within tobacco and is the driving force behind market growth in Norway.
The new battlefield within snus is hidden under the lip
In a rather slow and low-innovation environment of cigarettes and smoking tobacco, the snus arena has been an innovative battlefield witnessing a tremendous amount of new products and innovative packaging, all customised to the new and existing consumer groups using snus on a daily basis. The latest evolution in this field is the long format as presented by Swedish Match or slim format as presented by Imperial Tobacco. The pouches are specifically designed not to be seen by others - thereby eliminating the term “snus lip” from vocabulary. Introduced in combination with white snus, this category has generated enormous interest among regular snus users of both sexes in Norway.
The small cult of pipe tobacco smokers
In the midst of all the doomsday speculation regarding smoking tobacco, pipe tobacco saw small growth of 1% in volume terms. Pipe tobacco, which is the smallest category within tobacco, has seen increased popularity among males, often students, aged 22-40. The renewed interest is among a small group of dedicated followers, who like to puff on a pipe after a long day of hiking, hunting or any other outdoor activity done in small groups of males or in solitude, in the vast nature of Norway.
Electronic cigarettes – not legalised, but legal..?
In Norway, nicotine containing “e-juice” is forbidden from sale and import within the borders of Norway by law and in 2013, electronic cigarettes and nicotine-free e-juice were subjected to the same regulations as any other tobacco product. This does not discourage Norwegians from smoking electronic cigarettes and in 2013 it was estimated that around 40,000-50,000 Norwegians use such a product on a regular basis. This is mainly because the nicotine containing e-juice can be regarded as medicine in Norway if one can prove it is used as a remedy to quit smoking, thereby allowing private import from other EEA countries where the product is legalised. But since customs usually consider it obvious that nicotine containing e-juice ampules are used for private and medical consumption, the use of nicotine containing e-juice is, by definition, legal.
Gloomy outlook for tobacco products
With an expected increase in the use of electronic cigarettes, a possible legalisation of such products within a few years and a regulatory environment aiming for a tobacco-free society as well as declining numbers in the percentage of daily smokers, the outlook looks gloomy if not hostile for all tobacco products. The only exception here is Swedish snus which is expected to continue to see volume growth, although at a decreasing pace, over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Tobacco Market Research Report
Sample Tobacco Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Tobacco industry in Norway with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Tobacco industry in Norway, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
When you purchase this report, you also get the data and the content from these category reports in Norway for free:
The Tobacco in Norway market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Production, imports by origin, exports by destination
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Tobacco in Norway?
- What are the major brands in Norway?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market is the largest by value sales in Norway?
- Which sector of the tobacco products market has been growing the fastest, by volume and value, in Norway?
- Which sector is the most heavily taxed in Norway?
- Which companies dominate in the total tobacco market in Norway in terms of market share?
- What is the distribution channel split for the tobacco products market in Norway?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Tobacco market research database.