- Dog food is expected to witness healthy growth in 2015, posting current value growth of 5% following a massive decline in 2013 and 2014, mainly as a result of regulatory issues concerning ingredients and customs guidelines. While leading manufacturers comply with new government regulations, the market is expected to stay steady. Furthermore, dog food is slightly restricted partly due to municipal regulations issued in July 2014 by Saudi Arabia’s IFTA Council, a group of senior religious scholars, banning the sale of dogs and cats in some pet stores. In addition, the fact that nearly 65% of the Saudi population are unable to afford to purchase a house and therefore live in apartments, is expected to contribute to limited dog ownership and therefore, dog food consumption. This has led to more pet owners preferring smaller pets, thus causing dog ownership to decrease in popularity and the overall dog population to fall over the review period. Therefore, it is expected that growth will be stagnant with only a small rise in the dog population, mainly among owners of houses or villas that prefer large dogs for security.
- In 2015, dog food manufacturers are expected to gradually recover the sales and share lost during 2013 and 2014 due to new government ingredient and import regulations. However, dog food is expected to remain a small category due to the slow return of various products with new packaging and permissible formulations. Manufacturers such as Mars Inc and Royal Canin are expected to continue to further push volume growth, mainly through in-store promotions and multipack discounts, which should boost their value shares.
- As manufacturers continue to recover with new formulations and innovative packaging in response to the new regulations issued by the Saudi government, it is expected that dog food will begin to gradually grow from the decline witnessed in 2013 and 2014. Brands from leading companies such as Mars Inc have partially returned to store shelves in most retail channels, with some still absent. However, Royal Canin is currently only available in certain pet stores which have contractual agreements with the manufacturer. While dog food is expected to remain niche, it is expected that over the forecast period the category will see value sales rise at a CAGR of 4% at constant 2015 prices.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in Saudi Arabia with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in Saudi Arabia, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in Saudi Arabia market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in Saudi Arabia?
- What are the major brands in Saudi Arabia?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in Saudi Arabia - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Table 2 Dog Population 2010-2015
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2015
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
Pet Care in Saudi Arabia - Industry Context
Pet care market in Saudi Arabia registers weak performance
Leading pet food brands remain absent from Saudi shelves
Mars Inc. retains leading position in pet care market
Hypermarkets and supermarkets leading distribution channels
Forecast period expected to witness healthy recovery
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Market recovery slow due to ingredient and new import regulations on pet food
Pet owners preferring small pets
Grocery retailers continue to increase their presence
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2010-2015
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 2 Research Sources