- Total expenditure of calories continued to fall in 2013, due to the decline in the dog population and preference for small breeds. The number of pet dogs in Japan continued to fall amid growing urbanisation and the increase in single-person households. More Japanese people live in apartments, which militates against the keeping of some pets while some apartment blocks have rigid regulations on pets. Also, since dogs require regular walks, it is harder for single-person households to own dogs. Owners tend to prefer small breeds, as more people keep dogs indoors. The declining expenditure of calories was informed by the shift in living habits of Japanese people, leading to retail sales declines of 3% in volume terms and 2% in current value terms in 2013.
- Mars Japan remained the leading player in dog food in 2013 with a retail value share of 19%. Offering a wide assortment of product types and flavour variants under its Pedigree, Royal Canin, Cesar and Chappi brands, the company was the clear leader in economy, mid-priced and premium wet dog food. As the leader in wet dog food, Mars Japan ran a campaign (”Wet Food Diet”) to stimulate the demand for such products in 2013. Because the calorie content of wet food is one quarter that of the same volume of dry food, the manufacturer promoted the former as a good dietary source and an aid for the prevention of obesity in dogs.
- The lifestyles of Japanese consumers are expected to keep shifting during the forecast period. More Japanese consumers are likely to live in urban environments and the number of single-person households is projected to grow. Amid the changing lifestyles of consumers, the total calorie expenditure of dogs is estimated to decline, alongside a fall in the dog population and the miniaturisation trend. Therefore, retail volume sales of dog food are projected to decline by a 1% CAGR over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in Japan with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in Japan, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in Japan market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in Japan?
- What are the major brands in Japan?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in Japan - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Table 2 Dog Population 2009-2014
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2009-2014
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2014
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
Dog Food in Japan - Company Profiles
Mars Japan Ltd in Pet Care (Japan)
- Summary 2 Mars Japan Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Mars Japan Ltd: Competitive Position 2013
Nippon Pet Food Ltd in Pet Care (Japan)
- Summary 4 Nippon Pet Food Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Nippon Pet Food Ltd: Competitive Position 2013
Unicharm Corp in Pet Care (Japan)
- Summary 6 Unicharm Corp: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Unicharm Corp: Operational Indicators
- Summary 8 Unicharm Corp: Competitive Position 2013
Pet Care in Japan - Industry Context
Falling demand for dog food undermines pet care’s performance
Growing urbanisation stimulates cat and rabbit ownership
Mars and Unicharm drive the greater segmentation trend
Internet retailing makes strong gains in pet care distribution
Consumption to shift from dog food to cat food
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Growing urbanisation changes the shape and landscape of pet food
Health and wellness concerns reach pet food
Ageing pet population trend influences new product launches
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2009-2014
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2009-2014
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2009-2014
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2009-2014
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2009-2014
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2013
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2009-2013
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2009-2014
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2014
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2014-2019
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2014-2019
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2014-2019
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2014-2019
- Summary 9 Research Sources