- Total expenditure of calories by dogs continued to fall in 2013, which was due to a decline in the dog population and a preference for small breeds. The number of pet dogs in Japan continued to fall amid growing urbanisation and an increase in the number of single-person households. More Japanese people live in flats, which work against the keeping of certain pets as some flats have rigid regulations regarding pets. In addition, since dogs require regular walks, it is harder for single-person households to own dogs. Moreover, owners tend to prefer small breeds, as more people are keeping dogs indoors. The decline in the calorie expenditure of dogs was supported by a change in the lifestyles of Japanese people, leading to a volume sales decline of 2% in 2014.
- Hill’s Colgate Japan remained the leading player within dog food in 2014 with a retail value share of 13%. The fact that the company’s Science Diet had long been available and is perceived as a pioneer within functional non-therapeutic dog food enabled the company to keep its leading position within dog food. The company’s 100% money-back guarantee policy that the company will pay back money if dogs/owners are dissatisfied with the taste lowered the barriers to consumers purchasing Science Diet.
- The lifestyles of Japanese consumers are expected to continue to change during the forecast period. More Japanese consumers are expected to be living in an urban environment and the number of single-person households is projected to grow. Amid the changing lifestyles of consumers, the total calorie expenditure of dogs is estimated to decline, alongside a fall in the dog population and the trend towards smaller breeds. As a result, retail volume sales of dog food are projected to decline at a CAGR of 2% over the forecast period.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Dog Food Market Research Report
Sample Dog Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Dog Food industry in Japan with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Dog Food industry in Japan, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Dog Food in Japan market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed segmentation of international and local products
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Dog Food in Japan?
- What are the major brands in Japan?
- How fast are consumers trading up to prepared dog food?
- How have pet specialists fared in recent years?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Pet Care market research database.
Table of Contents
Dog Food in Japan - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Dog Owning Households: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Table 2 Dog Population 2010-2015
- Table 3 Consumption of Dog Food by Prepared vs Non-prepared: % Analysis 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 5 Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 6 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 7 Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 8 Sales of Premium Dog Food by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 9 NBO Company Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 10 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 11 LBN Brand Shares of Dog Treats: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 12 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 14 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 15 Forecast Sales of Dog Food by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 1 Dog Food by Price Band 2015
Dog Food in Japan - Company Profiles
Mars Japan Ltd in Pet Care (Japan)
- Summary 2 Mars Japan Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 3 Mars Japan Ltd: Competitive Position 2014
Nippon Pet Food Ltd in Pet Care (Japan)
STRATEGIC DIRECTION AND BACKGROUND
- Summary 4 Nippon Pet Food Ltd: Key Facts
- Summary 5 Nippon Pet Food Ltd: Competitive Position 2014
Unicharm Corp in Pet Care (Japan)
STRATEGIC DIRECTION AND BACKGROUND
- Summary 6 Unicharm Corp: Key Facts
- Summary 7 Unicharm Corp: Operational Indicators
- Summary 8 Unicharm Corp: Competitive Position 2014
Pet Care in Japan - Industry Context
Increasing demand for cat food underpins pet care’s performance
Cat treats on the rise
Unicharm and Mars Japan drive greater segmentation
Home and garden specialists lose customers to pet superstores and internet retailing
Shift towards cat food and away from dog food
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Shift in pet population changes the shape and landscape of pet food
Weaker Japanese yen impacts the pet care industry
Ageing pet population influences new product launches
- Table 16 Pet Populations 2010-2015
- Table 17 Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2010-2015
- Table 18 Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 NBO Company Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 22 LBN Brand Shares of Pet Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 23 NBO Company Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 24 LBN Brand Shares of Dog and Cat Food: % Value 2011-2014
- Table 25 Penetration of Private Label in Pet Care by Category: % Value 2010-2014
- Table 26 Distribution of Pet Care by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 27 Distribution of Pet Care by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 28 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format: % Value 2010-2015
- Table 29 Distribution of Dog and Cat Food by Format and Category: % Value 2015
- Table 30 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: Volume 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: Value 2015-2020
- Table 32 Forecast Sales of Pet Food by Category: % Volume Growth 2015-2020
- Table 33 Forecast Sales of Pet Care by Category: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 9 Research Sources