The negative effects of the economic and financial crisis have affected consumer confidence in Italy, and as a consequence, Italians’ spending habits have changed. Although spending has not yet returned to pre-recession levels, Italians are finding ways of ensuring the best value for money by trying to adapt rather than renounce the pleasures of life.
Consumer Lifestyle Reports provide current and detailed snapshots of the unique behaviours, attitudes and spending patterns of consumers in Italy.
In addition to covering important core topics like household disposable income, consumer expenditure, savings and credit and housing and home ownership, this report also contains hard-to-find statistics on more specific consumer-related topics like eating and drinking habits, shopping habits, preferred types of stores and retail venues, clothing and fashion trends and descriptions of how consumers spend their leisure and recreation time.
A consumer segmentation section in the report breaks down the Italy’s consumers by specific age groups, ranging from babies and infants to pensioners; highlighting the factors that influence purchasing decisions and the products in greatest demand for each segment.
Use the Consumer Lifestyle in Italy report to answer questions including:
- In what types of stores do consumers shop for food and drink?
- Do commuters drive cars to work or take public transport?
- How do ethnic groups influence consumer preferences and expenditure trends?
- How many households own microwave ovens? Personal computers? Refrigerators?
- On the whole, are the Italy’s consumers spenders or savers?
- Where do consumers go on holiday and how much do they spend?
- How well are consumers served by the Italy’s healthcare system?
Buy Consumer Lifestyle reports to:
- Get a quick, clear and comprehensive understanding of consumer trends, attitudes and behaviour in Italy with relevant data conveniently laid out in a single, easy-to-read document
- Immediately gain hard-to-discern insights from local analysts into the factors that influence daily decision-making processes of Italy consumers as they shop for and buy needed products and services
- Save research time and effort by quickly identifying unique (or in some cases similar) consumer attributes and characteristics that explain the demand for specific products and services in Italy
- Quickly grasp the dynamics and direction of Italy’s retail distribution network in order to understand how manufacturers and distributors get their products to consumers
Table of Contents
CONSUMER HABITS IN CONTEXT
Current Behaviour within the Broader Economic Climate
- Chart 1 Consumer Confidence Index 2006-2011
- Chart 2 Misery Index 2006-2011
- Chart 3 Number of Students in Higher Education and Expenditure per Student in PPP Terms 2006-2011
- Chart 4 Regional Ranking of Number of University Students 2011
Women in the Workplace
Alternative Work Options
- Chart 5 Employed and Unemployed Population and Labour Force Participation Rate 2006-2011
- Chart 6 Population Aged 15-64 Compared with Old-Age Dependency Ratio 2000-2020
- Chart 7 Regional Ranking of Female Employment Rate 2011
Attitudes towards Food Trends
- Chart 8 Per Capita Expenditure on Consumer Foodservice by Chained and Independent 2011
- Chart 9 Regional Ranking of Availability of Fresh Fruit and Vegetables 2011
Attitudes towards Drinking
Drinking Inside the Home
Drinking Outside the Home
- Chart 10 Per Capita Consumption of Alcoholic Drinks and Soft Drinks by Category 2011
- Chart 11 Regional Ranking of Alcoholic Drinks Consumption: Off-trade vs On-trade 2011
Attitudes towards Personal Care
Attitudes towards Beauty
Use of Hair Care Salons, Spas, Nail and Beauty Parlours
- Chart 12 Value Sales of Beauty and Personal Care Key Categories 2006-2011
- Chart 13 Regional Ranking of Per Capita Sales of Men's Grooming Products 2011
Attitudes towards Clothing
Attitudes towards Footwear
Attitudes towards Personal Adornment
Attitudes towards Accessories/Luxury Goods
- Chart 14 Consumer Expenditure on Clothing and Footwear 2006-2011
- Chart 15 Regional Ranking of Consumer Expenditure on Clothing and Footwear as a Proportion of Total Consumer Expenditure 2011
HEALTH AND WELLNESS HABITS
Public versus Private Healthcare
Attitudes to Health and Well-being
Over-the-Counter Versus Prescription-Only Medicines (OTC vs POM)
Sport and Fitness
- Chart 16 Growth in Public and OTC Expenditure on Pharmaceuticals Compared with Healthy Life Expectancy at Birth 2006-2011
- Chart 17 Regional Ranking of Obese and Overweight Population 2011
Attitudes to Smoking
- Chart 18 Smoking Prevalence amongst Men and Women 2006-2011
- Chart 19 Regional Ranking of Smoking Prevalence 2011
Attitudes to Shopping
Main Household Food and Non-Food Consumables Shop
Top-Up Food Shopping
Shopping for Big-Ticket Items
E-commerce and M-commerce
- Chart 20 Importance of Hypermarkets, Supermarkets and Discounters within Grocery Retailing 2011
- Chart 21 Regional Ranking of Sales through Internet Retailing 2011
Public Holidays, Celebrations and Gift-Giving
- Chart 22 Cinema Attendances 2006-2011
- Chart 23 Regional Ranking of Consumer Expenditure on Leisure and Recreation as a Proportion of Total Consumer Expenditure 2011
DIY AND GARDENING HABITS
Attitudes to DIY
Attitudes to Gardening
- Chart 24 Number of Home Owners and New Dwellings Completed 2006-2011
- Chart 25 Regional Ranking of Home Owners as a Proportion of Total Households 2011
PET OWNERSHIP HABITS
Attitudes to Pet Ownership
- Chart 26 Pet Population and Sales of Pet Food 2006-2011
- Chart 27 Regional Ranking of Pet Ownership 2011
Use of Public Transport
- Chart 28 Kilometres Travelled by Road, Rail and Air Compared with Motorway Intensity, Petrol Prices and Number of Scheduled Airline Passengers Carried 2006-2011
- Chart 29 Regional Ranking of Possession of Passenger Cars 2011
Attitudes to Taking Holidays
Main Holiday-Taking Trends
Domestic versus Foreign Holidays
Preferred Travel Methods
- Chart 30 Domestic and Outgoing Tourist Expenditure by Sector 2006-2011
- Chart 31 Regional Ranking of Holiday Departures 2011
Attitudes toward Payment Methods
Loans and Mortgages
- Chart 32 Consumer Lending Compared with Savings and Savings Ratio 2006-2011
- Chart 33 Regional Ranking of Financial Cards in Circulation 2011