- The main occurrence within Danish fast food in 2013 was the opening of the Swedish burger chain Max Hamburger. This brand is a burger chain that has existed for decades in Sweden, and has nearly 100 restaurants in that country in addition to having some restaurants in Norway. Max Hamburger, though still being a fast food brand, is known for servicing more-healthy burgers than, for example, the two largest burger chains in Denmark, Burger King and McDonald’s. As at the end of 2013, there was only one Max Hamburger outlet in Denmark, but it is the intention of the founders of the restaurant to open more outlets in Denmark, mainly in the Copenhagen area, and thereafter expand nationally. In addition to the launch of this new burger chain in Denmark, it is worth mentioning that the fast food industry in Denmark is constantly focusing on providing more-healthy alternatives in its selection of dishes. Danes’ attitude towards unhealthy fast food is changing, but this does not mean that they do not wish to purchase it. What is important is to be able to make customers understand that the products on offer in restaurants are in line with the growing interest in healthy food.
- The brand McDonald’s led fast food in 2013 through franchises with a 26% value share. McDonald’s Danmark owned a further 7% giving the company a 33% value share at GBO level. Among the burger chains, the brand McDonald’s had 70 outlets in 2013, whereas Burger King had only 16, which was five more than at the beginning of the review period. McDonald’s remained in 2013 the most popular burger chain in Denmark and the most frequently visited by Danes. Transactions as well as sales per outlet of McDonald’s outlets remained well above those of Burger King, reaffirming the strong brand of McDonald’s in Denmark. This is also an element noticed in Denmark, where McDonald’s Danmark has, since 2011 opened five more outlets, which means it owned 16 in total as at the end of the review period, the rest being franchises. Convenience stores fast food also has a strong presence in Denmark. The top three brands in 2013 were 7-Eleven, Statoil and Shell, with respective value shares of 33%, 26% and 19% within convenience stores fast food. These three were closely followed by Q8. In terms of outlet numbers, these four also led the category, and these outlets are widely spread across the country.
- It is expected that during the forecast period, restaurants will continue to focus on healthier products in order to maintain and to gain customers. This means that there will be a stronger focus on wholewheat bread, vegetables, fruit, non-processed meat products and products containing less fat than was common in past. The sandwich chains Sunset Boulevard and Subway should be able to benefit from this development. These bakery product fast food chains are expected to record stable growth over the forecast period, and it is expected that they will open new outlets in the future to accommodate the demands of their customers for healthy sandwiches rather than burgers. It is expected that bakery products fast food will take customers from Middle Eastern, pizza and burger fast food outlets. In Denmark, the chains Subway and especially Sunset Boulevard have good reputations as being places where it is possible to purchase a tasty yet fairly healthy dish.
Samples (FAQs about samples):
Sample Fast Food Market Research Report
Sample Fast Food Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Fast Food industry in Denmark with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Fast Food industry in Denmark, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Fast Food in Denmark market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- What is the market size of Fast Food in Denmark?
- What are the major brands in Denmark?
- Which type of fast food (burger fast food, chicken fast food, Asian fast food etc.) is expecting the greatest level of growth over the next five years?
- Do Fast Casual restaurants have a presence in Denmark?
- What are fast food chains doing to attract consumers during non-traditional day-parts?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Consumer Foodservice market research database.
Table of Contents
Fast Food in Denmark - Category Analysis
- Table 1 Fast Food by Category: Units/Outlets 2008-2013
- Table 2 Sales in Fast Food by Category: Number of Transactions 2008-2013
- Table 3 Sales in Fast Food by Category: Foodservice Value 2008-2013
- Table 4 Fast Food by Category: % Units/Outlets Growth 2008-2013
- Table 5 Sales in Fast Food by Category: % Transaction Growth 2008-2013
- Table 6 Sales in Fast Food by Category: % Foodservice Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 7 Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: Units/Outlets 2008-2013
- Table 8 Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: Number of Transactions 2008-2013
- Table 9 Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: Foodservice Value 2008-2013
- Table 10 Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: % Units/Outlets Growth 2008-2013
- Table 11 Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: % Transaction Growth 2008-2013
- Table 12 Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: % Foodservice Value Growth 2008-2013
- Table 13 GBO Company Shares in Chained Fast Food: % Foodservice Value 2009-2013
- Table 14 GBN Brand Shares in Chained Fast Food: % Foodservice Value 2010-2013
- Table 15 Forecast Fast Food by Category: Units/Outlets 2013-2018
- Table 16 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Category: Number of Transactions 2013-2018
- Table 17 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Category: Foodservice Value 2013-2018
- Table 18 Forecast Fast Food by Category: % Units/Outlets Growth 2013-2018
- Table 19 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Category: % Transaction Growth 2013-2018
- Table 20 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Category: % Foodservice Value Growth 2013-2018
- Table 21 Forecast Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: Units/Outlets 2013-2018
- Table 22 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: Number of Transactions 2013-2018
- Table 23 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: Foodservice Value 2013-2018
- Table 24 Forecast Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: % Units/Outlets Growth 2013-2018
- Table 25 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: % Transaction Growth 2013-2018
- Table 26 Forecast Sales in Fast Food by Casual vs Non-Casual: % Foodservice Value Growth 2013-2018
Fast Food in Denmark - Company Profiles
Danske Koncept Restauranter ApS in Consumer Foodservice (Denmark)
- Summary 1 Danske Koncept Restauranter ApS: Key Facts
- Summary 2 Danske Koncept Restauranter ApS: Operational Indicators
- Summary 3 Danske Koncept Restauranter ApS: Competitive Position 2013
Consumer Foodservice in Denmark - Industry Context
Cafés are responsible for half of current value growth in 2013 in Denmark
Healthy lifestyles influence consumer foodservice
Fast food feels the consequences of Danes’ health awareness
Home delivery and takeaway continue to grow
Optimism in Denmark can help support consumer foodservice
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Danes are optimistic about their future but factors are not so positive
Increasing competition within coffee and fast food
Consumers ask for quality and healthy food
Retail trends and government regulations affect consumer foodservice industry developments
- Table 27 Units, Transactions and Value Sales in Consumer Foodservice 2008-2013
- Table 28 Units, Transactions and Value Sales in Consumer Foodservice: % Growth 2008-2013
- Table 29 Consumer Foodservice by Independent vs Chained: Units/Outlets 2013
- Table 30 Sales in Consumer Foodservice by Eat-in/Home Delivery/Takeaway/Drive-Through: % Foodservice Value 2013
- Table 31 Sales in Consumer Foodservice by Food vs Drinks Split: % Foodservice Value 2013
- Table 32 Sales in Consumer Foodservice by Location: % Foodservice Value 2008-2013
- Table 33 GBO Company Shares in Chained Consumer Foodservice: % Foodservice Value 2009-2013
- Table 34 GBN Brand Shares in Chained Consumer Foodservice: % Foodservice Value 2010-2013
- Table 35 GBN Brand Shares in Chained Consumer Foodservice: Units/Outlets 2013
- Table 36 Forecast Units, Transactions and Value Sales in Consumer Foodservice 2013-2018
- Table 37 Forecast Units, Transactions and Value Sales in Consumer Foodservice: % Growth 2013-2018
- Summary 4 Research Sources