- One of the most noted movements within grocery retailing in 2015 came from the emerging channel of discounters. The channel, solely represented by Aprezio from the leading player Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos), is showing strong growth. The brand started operating in 2012 with seven outlets but had more than doubled its presence by 2015 with 15 opened locations. Although discounters remained a small channel at a country level, it might be a sign of consumers that use traditional retailers trading up to discounters as a first step into modern retailers. Company executives explain how this channel brings their products closer to consumers, as they use smaller stores that can be located in densely populated neighbourhoods of lower-income consumers, who would otherwise shop in traditional colmados.
- Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos) and Centro Cuesta Nacional continued to lead grocery retailers in 2015, recording respective value shares of 10% and 8%. The rest of the category was quite fragmented, involving a number of smaller competitors. Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos) has a multi-brand strategy, strongly promoting its hypermarkets Multicentro La Sirena, which somewhat cannibalised sales of Supermercados Pola. The group also launched the first discounter brand in the country, Aprezio, in 2012. The introduction had difficulty in finding an accurate identity for the brand, and also had profitability issues; however, over the last two years of the review period, including in 2015, the brand was very successful in terms of new outlet openings and sales growth. Discounters have proven very successful formats within developing economies, as such outlets act as an entry door for modern retailing for customers of traditional channels. The second leading player, Centro Cuesta Nacional, manages three brands: Jumbo, Jumbo Express and Supermercados Nacional. The group also owns other brands outside of grocery retailing, which are present in home furnishings, stationery, and toys and games stores. As a global strategy for the holding company, the retailer has focused in clustering all of its formats in the same location around a shared plaza, creating an environment similar to a shopping centre. This taps into growing interest from consumers in one-stop shopping, hence the success of the player’s strategy.
- Changing demographics are set to continue over the long term, including over the forecast period. Increasing urbanisation, leading to faster and busier lifestyles, is likely to have an impact on grocery retailing in the Dominican Republic. It is likely that consumers will continue to search for higher convenience in products as well as in channels, benefiting modern players versus traditional options. Grocery retailers is set to record growth at constant 2015 prices over the forecast period that is marginally higher than was registered over the review period. Some channels, such as supermarkets and hypermarkets, will increase in maturity, maintaining high growth rates but at lower levels compared to those over the review period. Other emerging channels, such as chained forecourt retailers and discounters, are set to record stronger performances as they attract a growing consumer base.
GET MORE FOR LESS!
For orders of 3 or more reports, in addition to your multi-purchase discount, we will provide any strategy or global briefing absolutely free.
Please contact a web site agent using the chat box or complete the form here to receive your free strategic briefing.
Samples (FAQs about samples):Sample Grocery Retailers Market Research Report
Sample Grocery Retailers Data
Delivery: Files are delivered directly into your account within a few minutes of purchase.
Discover the latest market trends and uncover sources of future market growth for the Grocery Retailers industry in Dominican Republic with research from Euromonitor's team of in-country analysts.
Find hidden opportunities in the most current research data available, understand competitive threats with our detailed market analysis, and plan your corporate strategy with our expert qualitative analysis and growth projections.
If you're in the Grocery Retailers industry in Dominican Republic, our research will save you time and money while empowering you to make informed, profitable decisions.
The Grocery Retailers in Dominican Republic market research report includes:
- Analysis of key supply-side and demand trends
- Detailed market shares for international and locally-based retailers
- Historic volumes and values, company and brand market shares
- Five year forecasts of market trends and market growth
- Robust and transparent market research methodology, conducted in-country
Our market research reports answer questions such as:
- How is grocery retailing performing in Dominican Republic?
- Are consumers switching towards more convenient grocery channels?
- Are independent and family run grocery stores coming under pressure in Dominican Republic?
Why buy this report?
- Gain competitive intelligence about market leaders
- Track key industry trends, opportunities and threats
- Inform your marketing, brand, strategy and market development, sales and supply functions
This industry report originates from Passport, our Retailing market research database.
Table of Contents
Grocery Retailers in Dominican Republic - Category Analysis
TRADITIONAL VS MODERN
- Chart 1 Modern Grocery Retailers: La Cadena, Supermarkets in Santo Domingo
- Chart 2 Modern Grocery Retailers: On the Run, Chained Forecourts in Santo Domingo
- Chart 3 Traditional Grocery Retailers: Las Dunas, Independent Small Grocers in Santo Domingo
- Table 1 Grocery Retailers: Value Sales, Outlets and Selling Space 2010-2015
- Table 2 Sales in Grocery Retailers by Channel: Value 2010-2015
- Table 3 Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: Units 2010-2015
- Table 4 Sales in Grocery Retailers by Channel: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 5 Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2010-2015
- Table 6 Grocery Retailers GBO Company Shares: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 7 Grocery Retailers GBN Brand Shares: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 8 Grocery Retailers LBN Brand Shares: Outlets 2012-2015
- Table 9 Grocery Retailers LBN Brand Shares: Selling Space 2012-2015
- Table 10 Grocery Retailers Forecasts: Value Sales, Outlets and Selling Space 2015-2020
- Table 11 Forecast Sales in Grocery Retailers by Channel: Value 2015-2020
- Table 12 Forecast Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: Units 2015-2020
- Table 13 Forecast Sales in Grocery Retailers by Channel: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Table 14 Forecast Grocery Retailers Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2015-2020
Grocery Retailers in Dominican Republic - Company Profiles
Centro Cuesta Nacional in Retailing (Dominican Republic)
- Summary 1 Centro Cuesta Nacional: Share of Sales Generated by Internet Retailing 2013-2015
- Summary 2 Centro Cuesta Nacional: Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 3 Centro Cuesta Nacional: Competitive Position 2015
Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos) in Retailing (Dominican Republic)
- Summary 4 Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos): Share of Sales Generated by Internet Retailing 2013-2015
- Summary 5 Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos): Private Label Portfolio
- Summary 6 Ramos Business Group (Grupo Ramos): Competitive Position 2015
Retailing in Dominican Republic - Industry Context
Stable performance after recovery
Wide product assortment proves successful
Cross-category competition increasing
High level of fragmentation limits leadership
Mixed results expected for different channels
KEY TRENDS AND DEVELOPMENTS
Performance on a par with the country´s economy
Convenience driving cross-category competition
Innovation an important tool for growth
- Summary 7 Standard Opening Hours by Channel Type 2015
Physical retail landscape
Cash and carry
- Table 15 Sales in Retailing by Store-based vs Non-Store: Value 2010-2015
- Table 16 Sales in Retailing by Store-based vs Non-Store: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 17 Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: Value 2010-2015
- Table 18 Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: Units 2010-2015
- Table 19 Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2010-2015
- Table 20 Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2010-2015
- Table 21 Retailing GBO Company Shares: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 22 Retailing GBN Brand Shares: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 23 Store-based Retailing GBO Company Shares: % Value 2011-2015
- Table 24 Store-based Retailing GBN Brand Shares: % Value 2012-2015
- Table 25 Store-based Retailing LBN Brand Shares: Outlets 2012-2015
- Table 26 Forecast Sales in Retailing by Store-based vs Non-Store: Value 2015-2020
- Table 27 Forecast Sales in Retailing by Store-based vs Non-Store: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Table 28 Forecast Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: Value 2015-2020
- Table 29 Forecast Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: Units 2015-2020
- Table 30 Forecast Sales in Store-Based Retailing by Channel: % Value Growth 2015-2020
- Table 31 Forecast Store-Based Retailing Outlets by Channel: % Unit Growth 2015-2020
- Summary 8 Research Sources